Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the precise size of the hexagonal nuts (crank pins?) used to secure the connecting rods to driving wheels on Hornby locomotives such as the Brittania? Do Hornby use metric or imperial? By my measurement the nuts are either 2.5 mm or 7/64". Some expert advice would be most greatefully welcomed by the "learner".

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
2.5mm over flats on the steamers. I have a feeling that the 08 uses a smaller head, but don't have it handy for measurement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the prompt reply 34C. I shall order a 2.5 mm hex nut driver to use on the crank pins. Would you happen to know where I could buy some spare crank pins? They don't appear to be listed as a separate part by Hornby, but as part of the valve gear set.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (Wizard in Oz @ 29 Mar 2009, 14:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Many thanks for the prompt reply 34C. I shall order a 2.5 mm hex nut driver to use on the crank pins. Would you happen to know where I could buy some spare crank pins? They don't appear to be listed as a separate part by Hornby, but as part of the valve gear set.

Hello.
You could try e-bay as there are a lot of Hornby spares usually for sale there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If I were you, I'd contact East Kent Models at Whitstable. They have a specialized "nut spinner" which they keep in stock. Those fit the hex crank pins PERFECTLY. I bought one, and it has earned it's keep more times than I care to remember!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Crank pins are not available seperately,-they are fitted to the wheelsets.Crank Pin Screws are available [2.5mm hex head] as spare parts, X8884 is the part no. for a packet of 10,East Kent models keep them in stock..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts