Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic question, those of you that have e-mailed Hornby's customer service, via their website; well how long did it take to get a reply? I have been waiting over a week regarding a query on a spare part. Is this the norm?
Thanks Paul

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well from all the comments I have read on various forums that is very unusual. Hornby customer service is renowned as one of the best.

I would try them again

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (paul_d @ 12 Mar 2007, 16:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Basic question, those of you that have e-mailed Hornby's customer service, via their website; well how long did it take to get a reply? I have been waiting over a week regarding a query on a spare part. Is this the norm?
Thanks Paul

Paul, as Bilbo has said, Hornby are reputed to be one of the best and I would endorse that from personal experience. Two days is not uncommon but if you've been waiting a week I'd email them again. My guess is you'll get a response and an apology.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it's one of the parts of their business they're most proud of. I'd say they have about the best customer service.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I always found a phone call to be very effective. I haven't used the service recently, but still advise people to contact them this way.

Regards

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got an e-mail back today, just as I was about to re-email them (they must be very busy), saying they will send out my class 60 spare part.
Amazingly it was the obscure plastic moulding that I talked about on a previous thread, which is not listed as a spare on the service sheet!

Now I call that first class customer service. Thankyou Hornby

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have in the past contacted Hornby on spares for both rolling stock and scenics, I point out that spares in question where not expensive main parts.
Hornby on each occasion, forwarded by post, parts requested and each time FOC - more than can be said for other Hobby manufacturers.

I have too personally found Hornby to care and value their customers. As for waiting reply to an e-mail inquiry - found two to five days to be normal and much better than other manufacturers and retailers who fail to reply.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too emailed Hornby customer service about a missing coupling in a new loco I had bought at a show. Within 3 days it had arrived FOC with their compliments. Thank you Hornby.

With customer service like that, when you are faced with a choice between Hornby and another manufacturer, for the same loco, I know which one I will be purchasing.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Although I don't currently run any Hornby UK - I'm pleased to know that they are still good with customer service.

Casting my memory back a very loooooong time when I was a mere schoolboy I used to take my broken Triang (as it was then) locomotives to the factory, where a very nice man with a white coat (no he did not have a padded van before you say anything BRITHO !) would exchange them for brand new ones !

It did occur to me at the time to buy really mashed up ones from the local model shop (long since gone) & take them back to the factory................

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 14 Mar 2007, 07:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It did occur to me at the time to buy really mashed up ones from the local model shop (long since gone) & take them back to the factory................

You naughty boy. I wouldn't have dreamt of doing such a thing

·
Chief cook &amp; bottle washer
2,940 Posts
I've nothing but praise for the service from Hornby. I e/mailed them about Pullman couplings and had a phonecall that evening (my time). Had my five Pullmans fixed up with new NEM coupling pockets FOC and a problem with HM Customs fixed up at no expense to me, even though I asked to be billed. They were also airmailed back to me FOC. You can't get better than that

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 14 Mar 2007, 07:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Casting my memory back a very loooooong time when I was a mere schoolboy I used to take my broken Triang (as it was then) locomotives to the factory, where a very nice man with a white coat (no he did not have a padded van before you say anything BRITHO !) would exchange them for brand new ones !

I wouldn't dream of it...............and how come you remember that far back?

But seriously, many years ago when I dabbled in N gauge Hornby had a repair workshop in Albert Road Ramsgate. They managed to fix my 9F while I was waiting, and gave me a box of derelict bits to play with as well.

Regards

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently my Hornby Britannia rather prototypically had a crosshead separate from the slide bars which resulted in a fractured connecting rod amongst other damage.

There was a delay of a few days before Hornby's Customer Care replied to my e-mail and recommended that (since I live in Singapore) I send the loco to their Hong Kong address.

The outcome is that a replacement Britannia was delivered last night by courier FOC! I don't know if Harvard Lee in Hong Kong wears a white coat like the UK counterpart mentioned earlier in this thread but thank you Harvard and Hornby for this service!

Regards,

Eamonn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts