Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

There is some imformation on the Hornby Decoder on the DCCUK Yahoo Group if anyone else want's to look.

The thread starter has actually got hold of some & commented.

I have no comment to make at this stage - I have posted this imformation for anyone who may be interested.

For anyone who is not a member of DCCUK I could cut & paste the details if required.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
That info on the other side of the link makes for some bad reading.

"Only CVs 1,3,4 and 29 (bit 1 & 2) supported"

CV1 - Address
CV3 - Starting Delay
CV4 - Braking Delay
CV29 bit 1 (if first parameter) - Direction of travel
CV29 bit 2 (if second parameter) - Headlight mode

This is even worse than the LE1000A, 'MacCoder'.

It is very important to be able to control the speed curves of a model for smooth running. Either with CV5 (max speed) and CV6 (mid speed) or with the speed curve table CV67 to CV94.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It also looks as if it does not support 4 digit addresses , or at least not fully. This first report indicates a degree of confusion as to what range of addresses it does support

I'm getting the impression Hornby envisage a lot of users of their system relying on the label facility to call up locos, rather than entering addresses. I can't recall whether it has been suggested the Select supports labelling , or whether that facility is confined to the Elite

It also sounds as if programming with other DCC systems , though possible, is messy and awkward

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, as a potential DCC convert in the medium term it looks like the Bachmann 36-553 decoder offers much better programmability and potentail performance for a similar sum of money; the only downside being the larger physical size?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the first post ;

Finally arrived in quantity today, size is good 10 x 17 x 3,5, price is good
£8.29 at my local shop

2 function and 8 pin plug with harness about 75mm

2 digit address only 0 - 127

14, 28, 128 speed steps

1.0 amp peak, 500mA continuous

Info sheet says Address 0-255

But also on same sheet CV1 min-max locomotive address 1-127, so no
correlation here?

Only CVs 1,3,4 and 29 (bit 1 & 2) supported

Tried to read on DecoderPro and SPROG - fails to read in direct and paged

Also on ESU programmer - fails to read

Lenz 100 set on programming track - fails to read error 02 but motor pulses
normally

Can not write address in direct mode but OK in CV mode (changed from 3 to 4)

Programming on main works OK but of course you can't change the address.

Hornby sheet says conforms to NMRA standards (not the same as NMRA approved)

Now I'm no Hornby knocker (very small shareholder) but this simply will not
do.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2nd post ;

A correction to my earlier email - it has 4 functions not two.

White yellow green and pink?

For what it is, it's good value but a great pity it's not more capable.

I have not tried yet, but will, inserting a small resistor in the feed to
see if it makes any difference to the read.

Of course there may be more CVs than those listed but until I can read it
………..

Features listed include speed (load compensation) and motor overload and
current protection but I have not checked these out yet.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The thing with "Budget" decoders are that they are almost always low spec you get what you pay for idf you want anything half descent which will be programmable you need to go to the higher end of the market

The hornby decoder is aimed at the "toy train" market not the serious modelling market so why expect them to produce anything other than basic

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 1 Dec 2006, 07:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The thing with "Budget" decoders are that they are almost always low spec you get what you pay for idf you want anything half descent which will be programmable you need to go to the higher end of the market

The hornby decoder is aimed at the "toy train" market not the serious modelling market so why expect them to produce anything other than basic
Exactly! Which is why I pay for Lenz Gold and Lokpilot now. I made the mistake of buying cheap Bachmann decoders and they are rubbish.

It's good that we are starting to get some hard facts now. Thanks for that Brian.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have picked up my first Hornby decoder today and I'm going to see what it is like over the weekend. You cannot moan about the price, or can you? Just looking at it out of the packaging the eight pin plug does not look as substantial compared to the digitrax, gaugemaster or even the bachmann items, in fact one of the pins was badly bent already and they look pretty weak. Still lets see how it performs before too many judgements are made. Point of note, there is a disclaimer of sorts on the packaging which states that the decoder conforms to the expresnet protocol and MAY work with other expressnet systems. No where do the DCC or NMRA logo's appear on the pack.

Sid.

P.S. what are these funny chaps to the left here, I've seen them on peoples posts?

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Sidney Sidings @ 1 Dec 2006, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Point of note, there is a disclaimer of sorts on the packaging which states that the decoder conforms to the expresnet protocol and MAY work with other expressnet systems.
That is bizarre. The deocder has no contact with XpressNet. Some idiot has just been cut and pasting disclaimers from the command stations (Select/Elite) where such a note might be relevant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well it is gone 1 am and I still cannot get this Hornby chip to function. I have tried to change its address but it will not respond to any command, I'm sorry but I am not impressed with this at all. I wondered too, Mark about the relevance of the disclaimer. Why would the fact a system is connectable to a computer have anything to do with the loco module? The same statements are also on the Hornby sets, is your comment suggesting that the Hornby marketing people are trying to fool the British public?

I have been speaking to a friend tonight who has recently bought one of the Hornby digital start sets and he is also disappointed with it, I have suggested that he brings it over and we can test his loco's and controller on my layout.

I own around 50 loco's which are 50/50 split between Hornby and Bachmann except for a couple of Heljan and all are equipped with either the gaugemaster or digitrax decoders with a few bachmann ones thrown in, and I have not had any problems up to now. I tested the water so to speak with the EZ command but soon upgraded to the Gaugemaster Prodigy around a year ago. Is this a one off or is there a serious compatibility problem looming with the Hornby digital?

Sid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.