Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have picked up my first Hornby decoder today and I'm going to see what it is like over the weekend. You cannot moan about the price, or can you? Just looking at it out of the packaging the eight pin plug does not look as substantial compared to the digitrax, gaugemaster or even the bachmann items, in fact one of the pins was badly bent already and they look pretty weak. Still lets see how it performs before too many judgements are made. Point of note, there is a disclaimer of sorts on the packaging which states that the decoder conforms to the expresnet protocol and MAY work with other expressnet systems. No where do the DCC or NMRA logo's appear on the pack.

Sid.

P.S. what are these funny chaps to the left here, I've seen them on peoples posts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well it is gone 1 am and I still cannot get this Hornby chip to function. I have tried to change its address but it will not respond to any command, I'm sorry but I am not impressed with this at all. I wondered too, Mark about the relevance of the disclaimer. Why would the fact a system is connectable to a computer have anything to do with the loco module? The same statements are also on the Hornby sets, is your comment suggesting that the Hornby marketing people are trying to fool the British public?

I have been speaking to a friend tonight who has recently bought one of the Hornby digital start sets and he is also disappointed with it, I have suggested that he brings it over and we can test his loco's and controller on my layout.

I own around 50 loco's which are 50/50 split between Hornby and Bachmann except for a couple of Heljan and all are equipped with either the gaugemaster or digitrax decoders with a few bachmann ones thrown in, and I have not had any problems up to now. I tested the water so to speak with the EZ command but soon upgraded to the Gaugemaster Prodigy around a year ago. Is this a one off or is there a serious compatibility problem looming with the Hornby digital?

Sid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts