Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
QUOTE (Sidney Sidings @ 2 Dec 2006, 01:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well it is gone 1 am and I still cannot get this Hornby chip to function. I have tried to change its address but it will not respond to any command, I'm sorry but I am not impressed with this at all. I wondered too, Mark about the relevance of the disclaimer. Why would the fact a system is connectable to a computer have anything to do with the loco module? The same statements are also on the Hornby sets, is your comment suggesting that the Hornby marketing people are trying to fool the British public?

Sid.
Sid,

Could you tell us what system you are using?

As designer of the SPROG programmer I am keen to get to the bottom of why this new decoder does not seem to be working for a number of people with a number of systems, and hopefully get a SPROG to talk to it.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
828 Posts
QUOTE (SPROGman @ 3 Dec 2006, 17:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sid,

Could you tell us what system you are using?

As designer of the SPROG programmer I am keen to get to the bottom of why this new decoder does not seem to be working for a number of people with a number of systems, and hopefully get a SPROG to talk to it.

Andrew Crosland
I can now confirm that SPROG can write to the Hornby decoder in both paged and direct mode. The decoder responds to 14, 28 and 128 speed step packets and the function outputs work as expected.

Reads from CVs do not appear to work correctly in either mode.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a lenz LZV100 system with an LH100 hand controller. This week i purchased the new Hornby 121 DMU and a hornby decoder - i figured they would be compatible. I checked the loco out on my rolling road on DC and it was fine so i installed the decoder. The only problem was i was unable to program the decoder - i get getting an error 2 message. I was able to run the unit using the default 0003 address, but it sounded like someone had dropped a bag of budgie seed into the motor bogie - it ran like a dog. I removed the decoder and replaced it with a TCS T1 - my normal decoder of choice - and i was able to program the decoder and it ran smoothly. Undeterred i though perhaps i had a dodgy Hornby decoder so i went back to my local store the next day and exchanged the decoder for another Hornby unit - got home and fitted it into the DMU again - EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS - i will be sticking to TCS decoders from now on, Hornby appear to have a problem with full NMRA compatibility. I have fitted over 40 loco's with decoders including bachman split chassis's and old mainline loco's and never had problems like this.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.