Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby have published some DCC fitting guides for a small number of their locomotives. Follow this link to the Hiornby website for more details. The initial list is quite short but it is sure to grow over time.

If Hornby use this page as a permanent "anchor" for all the guides they publish, it might make a useful addition to the DCC quick links panel at the top of this section?

David

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 7 Nov 2007, 22:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a look at the Flying Scotsman one. They make it look so easy!
Of Hornby's current better models that I have worked on the Gresley pacific chassis is one of the easiest. Plenty of space above the socket, and for the wiring run, and a good sized insulated void in the smokebox.

Though I cannot do the whole job the Hornby way. None of my 'insulting tapes' (even those featuring the late and lamented Peter Cook) looked anything like what Hornby were using...

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 8 Nov 2007, 09:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Though I cannot do the whole job the Hornby way. None of my 'insulting tapes' (even those featuring the late and lamented Peter Cook) looked anything like what Hornby were using...

That looks like heat-shrink tubing that hasn't been completely heat-shrunk, possibly to allow some ventilation?

I might suggest some Railroad or Thomas for future guides.

·
Registered
257 Posts
We already have links to the installations done by Hornby using alternative instructions at http://www.bromsgrovemodels.co.uk/decoderinstallation4mm.htm

This link also has a number installation guides to other locos/manufacturers.

There is one important step missed out of the Hornby Class 50 guide! In addition, removing the weight from the M7 is not my preferred method of decoder installation.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (BromsMods @ 8 Nov 2007, 10:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In addition, removing the weight from the M7 is not my preferred method of decoder installation.
Think now its just of case of popping in a ZTC4007, Hornbys instructions would be more useful if they accepted decoders other than their own effort existed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 8 Nov 2007, 09:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of Hornby's current better models that I have worked on the Gresley pacific chassis is one of the easiest. Plenty of space above the socket, and for the wiring run, and a good sized insulated void in the smokebox.
Provided you have a decoder small enough to hand, the biggest space available is in the firebox but the decoder socket is too far away so I hard wired a lenz Standard in place, which also allowed for the removal of a nearly a foot of unnecessary wiring as all the wiring now was to the rear rather than going to the decoder socket at the front. Now if they had thought were the biggest available space was and put the decoder socket there....

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 8 Nov 2007, 20:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of Hornby's current better models that I have worked on the Gresley pacific chassis is one of the easiest. Plenty of space above the socket, and for the wiring run, and a good sized insulated void in the smokebox.

Though I cannot do the whole job the Hornby way. None of my 'insulting tapes' (even those featuring the late and lamented Peter Cook) looked anything like what Hornby were using...

They must have improved it then. See Dougs review for the older model which was a hassle Flying Scotsman review

I tried the same with the White Knight and had to put the decoder in the tender because of the lack of space. If they have sorted the lack of space problem I might get another one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 8 Nov 2007, 21:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They must have improved it then. See Dougs review for the older model which was a hassle Flying Scotsman review

Thats exactly the same model that Hornby describe fitting a decoder too. I had nearly as much hassle as there was no way the body was going to separate from the chassis. Finally gave it one tug too many and they did separate with the running plate on side splitting into two. On further examination the leads from the pick-ups had become stripped of their insulation were they passed adjacent to the motor. Conclusion I came to was that when the body had been put on in China the pick up wires had got trapped between the running plate and the motor hence the struggle to release the body. The quickly Hornby abandon the one screw and slot method of attaching bodies and go for two screws with the body simply dropping off the better. Thankfully mekpak stuck the running plate back together and its virtually impossible to see the split. As referred to in my earlier message having read Dougs article there was no way I going to try to force a Lenz decoder into the smokebox and instead I stripped out most of Hornbys wiring and fitted the decoder hardwired on a plastic card mount that I attached to the end of the motor mounting bracket in the firebox end of the loco.

The loco then ran fine under DCC, far better than it had under DC where it seemed slightly jerky, until I attached the tender at which point it shorted out. Checked all the wiring and it was okay and finally tracked the short down to the loco tender coupling. Under much muttering about lack of decent design from Margate I gave up and cut the wires from the loco tender coupling. Now it runs fine with just the loco wheels picking up. Thankfully I picked mine up for £40 quid less that the £105 RRP from ebay which went someway at nullifying my annoyance with Hornby.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Parkes @ 9 Nov 2007, 10:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats exactly the same model that Hornby describe fitting a decoder too. I had nearly as much hassle as there was no way the body was going to separate from the chassis. Finally gave it one tug too many and they did separate with the running plate on side splitting into two. On further examination the leads from the pick-ups had become stripped of their insulation were they passed adjacent to the motor. Conclusion I came to was that when the body had been put on in China the pick up wires had got trapped between the running plate and the motor hence the struggle to release the body. The quickly Hornby abandon the one screw and slot method of attaching bodies and go for two screws with the body simply dropping off the better. Thankfully mekpak stuck the running plate back together and its virtually impossible to see the split. As referred to in my earlier message having read Dougs article there was no way I going to try to force a Lenz decoder into the smokebox and instead I stripped out most of Hornbys wiring and fitted the decoder hardwired on a plastic card mount that I attached to the end of the motor mounting bracket in the firebox end of the loco.

The loco then ran fine under DCC, far better than it had under DC where it seemed slightly jerky, until I attached the tender at which point it shorted out. Checked all the wiring and it was okay and finally tracked the short down to the loco tender coupling. Under much muttering about lack of decent design from Margate I gave up and cut the wires from the loco tender coupling. Now it runs fine with just the loco wheels picking up. Thankfully I picked mine up for £40 quid less that the £105 RRP from ebay which went someway at nullifying my annoyance with Hornby.
Thanks Mike, I did find it hard to beleive that they had made a new decoder instalation freindly version of this. This was the most painful decoder instalation job I have ever done.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 8 Nov 2007, 21:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They must have improved it then. See Dougs review for the older model which was a hassle Flying Scotsman review

I tried the same with the White Knight and had to put the decoder in the tender because of the lack of space. If they have sorted the lack of space problem I might get another one.
Mine are exactly as the reviewed item internally, and were very quick and easy to do with Lenz Gold. Just plug it in, dress and strap down the wires with insulating tape, so that the decoder is hanging loose and somewhat slack at the front end of the chassis. Invert the loco body, drop the decoder into the body opening, and help it toward the smoke box, then offer the rear of chassis to the locator, and get the chassis home. The decoder just sits loose in the smokebox. (I don't want it in the firebox, as this and the boiler sides are lined with shaped lead sheet for extra weight, and this is the optimum position for extra ballast to keep the loco balanced in the centre of the coupled wheelbase.)

I agree that it would be yet easier if the chassis had a screw each end, and just dropped in. Which is the way most of the world including Bach do it - don't Hornby do any competitor product evaluations?

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 9 Nov 2007, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mine are exactly as the reviewed item internally, and were very quick and easy to do with Lenz Gold.

The Standard is the same size at the Gold (and Silver) but given that I had to sort out the uninsulated pick up leads I didn't bother trying to get it to fit too much as a complete strip down was virtually needed anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts