Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Rails have had the Duchess in stock since yesterday, shame my order is with OnTracks!

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
My order is with Rails. I looked at their site yesterday and thought that was what they were saying however it was not definite. I checked Hattons and they didn't have it so I remain sceptical. Having said that I just checked my UK bank account and 130 quid has just been debited from my account. So it looks like we're on!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Still Rails are the only shop showing stock....seems a bit odd to me!

Rob

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
QUOTE (80class @ 8 Dec 2008, 19:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Still Rails are the only shop showing stock....seems a bit odd to me!

Rob

I suspect they are not in stock and rails are trying to get your cash off you then fob off sending till they actually get them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hattons emailed tonight that Duchess with sound had been despatched from Margate today for delevery tomorrow at Liverpool and that my pre order would be despatched tomorrow this order includes T9 and others

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Copied from a n other forum.
"Got mine (Duchess) today and very happy with the sound, good value, however taking it to bits to see about a smoke generator, I find the speaker in the tender has no baffle box, so replaced it with a oblong speaker in a baffle box and a big improvement, it does need a bit of cutting to get the speaker in. As for a smoke generator chimney dimensions are 4.5mm dia by 18.5 depth but as the loksound is in the tender it does mean running extra wires to the engine. Also a 21 pin loksound is used but the hornby plug has no auxillary outputs on it so new 21 pin connector would be needed to use any aux. outputs. Still excellent value though."

The lack of baffle box is a critical mistake by Hornby.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 12 Dec 2008, 09:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Copied from a n other forum.
"Got mine (Duchess) today and very happy with the sound, good value, however taking it to bits to see about a smoke generator, I find the speaker in the tender has no baffle box, so replaced it with a oblong speaker in a baffle box and a big improvement, it does need a bit of cutting to get the speaker in. As for a smoke generator chimney dimensions are 4.5mm dia by 18.5 depth but as the loksound is in the tender it does mean running extra wires to the engine. Also a 21 pin loksound is used but the hornby plug has no auxillary outputs on it so new 21 pin connector would be needed to use any aux. outputs. Still excellent value though."

The lack of baffle box is a critical mistake by Hornby.
Yes, however one which is readily rectified...and will be when I get mine.

It is good value cost wise for a sound loco. I bought a Roco BR52 with sound yesterday and the cost (to me) is almost twice that of the Hornby Duchess.

·
Registered
352 Posts
So can I not take it that this loco is well worth getting? as it will be my first loco with sound, I want to be impressed and not disapointed, and what is a baffle box? can it be easily fabricated and fitted to the speaker supplied with the loco? Regards

John

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Dec 2008, 02:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, however one which is readily rectified...and will be when I get mine.

It is good value cost wise for a sound loco. I bought a Roco BR52 with sound yesterday and the cost (to me) is almost twice that of the Hornby Duchess.

I dont think it is. Simon Kholer said to me two years ago at warley hornby would not be doing sound until they could do the chips for about £20-30 more than a standard loco. The sound chip is costing £76 plus you need to spend another £6 for a propper speaker!

At £164 one should not have to take a loco apart (which probably noids warrenty?) and fit another £6 speaker to get the best out of the chip. Its a silly mistake and it will certainly put off anyone buying one especially when they hear another one with sproper speaker set up.

For me, its typical Hornby. So near and yet so far. I am disapointed but undoughtably they will have to rectify it in future models. I am now failry certain this is why no class 60 is about with sound, they are looking at the speaker set up!!!

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder @ 12 Dec 2008, 15:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and what is a baffle box? can it be easily fabricated and fitted to the speaker supplied with the loco? Regards

John

Hi John,

Here is an installation on the NRM deltic with sound using a sound /baffle box shown in detail in pictures 7/8/9 of the install, hope it helps in the principle of a baffle box.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...pe-Deltic-Sound

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 13 Dec 2008, 03:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I dont think it is. Simon Kholer said to me two years ago at warley hornby would not be doing sound until they could do the chips for about £20-30 more than a standard loco. The sound chip is costing £76 plus you need to spend another £6 for a propper speaker!

It would seem that reality has dawned on Hornby and that you can't do low budget DCC without serious consequences.

At £164 one should not have to take a loco apart (which probably noids warrenty?) and fit another £6 speaker to get the best out of the chip. Its a silly mistake and it will certainly put off anyone buying one especially when they hear another one with sproper speaker set up.

That is true however compared with my expectations this is not as bad as I expected.

For me, its typical Hornby. So near and yet so far. I am disapointed but undoughtably they will have to rectify it in future models. I am now failry certain this is why no class 60 is about with sound, they are looking at the speaker set up!!!
Fair comment. My comments were more along the lines of UK DCC sound being half the price of Continental. I have to say I am pretty confident that I will not have to, and never have had to, modify any RTR Continental sound loco.

My main concern was the sound decoder would not be Loksound or be a stripped down version of loksound. As it stands I can put a speaker box in or a new speaker with enclosure to rectify it. Compared with some of Hornby's other boo boos this isn't too bad.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Dec 2008, 21:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fair comment. My comments were more along the lines of UK DCC sound being half the price of Continental. I have to say I am pretty confident that I will not have to, and never have had to, modify any RTR Continental sound loco.

My main concern was the sound decoder would not be Loksound or be a stripped down version of loksound. As it stands I can put a speaker box in or a new speaker with enclosure to rectify it. Compared with some of Hornby's other boo boos this isn't too bad.

Would you mind not pointing out Uk stuff is still much cheaper than continental / Us, someone might be reading this
and the price will go up
lol

I paid £375 for my first sound loco, a broadway mallet. Outstanding sounds and i only used it on Dc. When uk steam sound is at USA quality levels i will return to it.

I quite agree the problem is a relativley easy fix. I just see it putting new punters off, bad first time and all that. We need more people getting into sound if the price is to fall. for that we need quality.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 13 Dec 2008, 08:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would you mind not pointing out Uk stuff is still much cheaper than continental / Us, someone might be reading this
and the price will go up
lol

I think Hattons noticed.

I paid £375 for my first sound loco, a broadway mallet. Outstanding sounds and i only used it on Dc. When uk steam sound is at USA quality levels i will return to it.

It's getting there but it depends where you buy from how good the sound is. It certainly has along way to go before it's mainstream like Germany and USA.

I quite agree the problem is a relativley easy fix. I just see it putting new punters off, bad first time and all that. We need more people getting into sound if the price is to fall. for that we need quality.
Yes, this is the select all over again.
I suppose I wasn't thinking about little Johnny and his chrissy pressy. While we could fix it, I don't think little Johnny's Mum will have much joy.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder @ 13 Dec 2008, 00:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what is a baffle box?
Regards

John

A Baffle board (in old speaker design terminology) is what the speaker is mounted on - In theory - to separate Air movement of the Front of the speaker cone from the back of the speaker cone. Finite baffle had an open back speaker enclosure , Infinite baffle had a fully enclosed speaker enclosure or box

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It's quite simple really. Don't buy the Hornby product until it's fixed.I know we all want sound but it has to be right.If you don't buy it they will get it sorted soon enough.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
QUOTE (TonyDaly @ 13 Dec 2008, 10:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's quite simple really. Don't buy the Hornby product until it's fixed.I know we all want sound but it has to be right.If you don't buy it they will get it sorted soon enough.

I kind of agree with you but as i always have a two speaker set up Hornbys cock up is not problem for myself and others of experience. The problem comes from those who buy blind, it might be thier forst sound loco etc.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi all

No I disagree Hornby should get it right, even if you have the experience or not. Sadly people will buy Hornby because it is a trusted brand and this could be their first intro to sound.

Anyway, what does Hornbys R&D dept do? It is a well known fact that to achieve good sound the speaker needs a baffle so why leave it out? I just cant believe they missed this!

With all the hipe about it I have yet to see someone post a video of it.

Hornbys run with dcc in my opinion has being very shaky but a great decision at least to go with the Loksound.

m

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 13 Dec 2008, 14:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I kind of agree with you but as i always have a two speaker set up Hornbys cock up is not problem for myself and others of experience. The problem comes from those who buy blind, it might be thier forst sound loco etc.

I understand what you are saying,that in your case it doesn't really matter because you will be taking it apart in any case but to someone with little experience in DCC & no experience in DCC Sound surely I have the right to expect a certain level of performance from any loco whether with sound or not.
I really don't understand why Hornby go so far in quality & then pull up short in little things.Surely if it's worth doing it's worth doing right.It seems that when it comes to final little details they get it wrong.Is it a lack of expertise or do they simply cut corners to get a product out on the shelves?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts