Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there
I am new to the model rail environment except for buying an oval of track and basic locos etc for the kids years ago, anyway I recently found the old kit in the loft and decided to find out if i could upgrade to digital. Turns out no go due to type of loco but whilst in the shop decided to buy a pre used hornby digital mixed goods set to start me off.
The question is this after reading some of the comments in the threads on this forum, have I made the right choice? some of you guys are quite disparaging re Hornby and I am now worried about things like compatibility with other makes of decoders, (if I buy other locos) and the way forward with expanding the setup with the use of points decoders etc.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards
Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everybody for taking the time to offer advice and suggestions, I am now going into a quiet corner to mull everything over. My initial thoughts are to stick with the Hornby Select for now as I only have the 2 locos and a simple layout and I think the Select will do the job of controlling the 4 points Iam planning to have.
The next step once I have decided on how to expand the layout will be the decision on the Elite or go for one of the other suggestions bearing in mind my "low end" budget.
A last note, is it me or has this hobby got really expensive since I last bought in the eighties.
regards.
Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts