Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (bicyclebob @ 17 Nov 2008, 05:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello out there
I am new to the model rail environment except for buying an oval of track and basic locos etc for the kids years ago, anyway I recently found the old kit in the loft and decided to find out if i could upgrade to digital. Turns out no go due to type of loco but whilst in the shop decided to buy a pre used hornby digital mixed goods set to start me off.
The question is this after reading some of the comments in the threads on this forum, have I made the right choice? some of you guys are quite disparaging re Hornby and I am now worried about things like compatibility with other makes of decoders, (if I buy other locos) and the way forward with expanding the setup with the use of points decoders etc.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards
Rob

***Hello Rob

The simple answer is Nay: Its a good start but once the decision is taken to keep on with the hobby, I think you need to consider the future a little more. It will always be easy to upgrade when you are ready - the decoders will work OK with most controller brands.

There are several reasons for the Nay: The Select has a very bad waveform that makes it incompatible with many decoders, although it is better now than it was.... but it has really limited abilities.

On the upside, it got you started and it is cheap at least.

The Elite is now compatible properly (well done H), but operationally it is clumsy to work with compared to other brands and is for example really not as good as most others to operate if you want other than simple train control - it severely frustrates sound owners as it needs more than one button pushed to simply play a whistle.

As always its up to you, but if you have the choice, go for a full feature system like the NCE PowerCab which has excellent features and excellent expansion possibilities whithout breaking the bank.

RIchard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 19 Nov 2008, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All

To be fair , there is a bit of Hornby bashing that goes on
but looking at functionality and Expandability of the Hornby System there are Better choices elsewhere.

Regards Zmil

*** Actually I don't think it is bashing at all. Brands earn their brickbats and their bouquets, and are commented on accordingly.

It is important to give honest answers without emotion to members questions. Comment has NO value if it is not frank and to the point. There is no place however for gratuitous or emotional negativity, however I don't see them on this list very often at all.

I have no time for gilding the lilly when anyone is looking at spending hard earned money and tend to give pragmatic answers which are simply true, accurate, and based on real problems I have seen with systems owned by clients and the rate of disappointment/frustration/replacement which is more significant with Hornby than any other brand as it very quickly shows its limitations to many modellers.

Likewise I am supportive of brands and products that universally give instant smiles to their owners.... AND I acknowledge positively when problems are fixed by the brands concerned.

Others likewise simply report their experience.

Those asking advice can draw their own conclusions and make better choices from direct comment. That is simply as it should be.

regards

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts