Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hornby have added a new page to their website. It seems like another very positive step in the right direction for the UK DCC market. Hornby are acknowledging that there are alternative consoles to their own products and if railway modellers use or choose alternatives for whatever reason then Hornby are advising them how to best to integrate and operate any Hornby digital products and accessories used. I find this approach refreshing:-

http://www.hornby.com/digital/thirdparty/

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 18 Jan 2007, 12:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby have added a new page to their website. It seems like another very positive step in the right direction for the UK DCC market. Hornby are acknowledging that there are alternative consoles to their own products and if railway modellers use or choose alternatives for whatever reason then Hornby are advising them how to best to integrate and operate any Hornby digital products and accessories used. I find this approach refreshing:-
Happy modelling
Gary

Definitely a positive step, and one that I feel perhaps some other manufacturers should follow. (I know that some already do by the way).

Regards

John

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 18 Jan 2007, 12:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hornby have added a new page to their website. It seems like another very positive step in the right direction for the UK DCC market. Hornby are acknowledging that there are alternative consoles to their own products and if railway modellers use or choose alternatives for whatever reason then Hornby are advising them how to best to integrate and operate any Hornby digital products and accessories used. I find this approach refreshing:-

http://www.hornby.com/digital/thirdparty/

Happy modelling
Gary
Quote from that link "This is normal. It is not possible to read back decoder values from the R8215. This is not a fault and not a requirement of the NMRA"

I've asked other members of the NMRA DCC tech working group for comments on this, but in my opinion this is just plain wrong. If an NMRA RP (recommended Practice) is implemented at all, then it must be implemented in full. RP-9.2.2 defines a number of mandatory CVs which must be implemented for conformance. One of those, CV8, is read only. Therefore, a decoder cannot be conformant if (a) it doesn't implement a mandatory CV or (
you cannot read from a read only CV.

To claim "compatibility" is pretty meaningless when the compatibility only goes as far as the limited subset of features that the manufacturer chooses to implement.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looks like a useful development.

If they want to sell these decoders to people using non-Hornby systems - and I take it that they do- then clear instructions on the steps/workrounds to program them are invaluable. Traditional DCC word of mouth transmission of tips isn't enough for a mass market product

It will be interesting to see which other systems are added and how quickly (Anyone taking bets on when the instructions for the Prodigy Advance appear?)

Interesting that in the LH100 instructions talk about some decoders supporting "interrogation" and some not. Sounds as if they have already hastily amended the software to allow CV1 to be read in some fashion or other

This morning's releases do suggest Hornby are reacting to various issues thrown up by their DCC launch , and given that we are only 8 weeks from first launch, doing so fairly quickly

·
Registered
18 Posts
why would i buy the hornby decoder with all its problems ,when you can buy a bachman 3 function decoder for about the same price .ihave fitted 2 of these decoders and progammed with the prodigy with out any problems .the spec of the bachman is much better than hornby in my opinion

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hildo @ 18 Jan 2007, 15:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>why would i buy the hornby decoder with all its problems ,when you can buy a bachman 3 function decoder for about the same price .ihave fitted 2 of these decoders and progammed with the prodigy with out any problems .the spec of the bachman is much better than hornby in my opinion

I think you've missed the point here hildo, I was under the impresiion that we were discussing improvements to the Hornby website, - not the relative performance of decoders.

Regards

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE I think you've missed the point here hildo,
Don't think so....

The topic is debating the move by Hornby stating they recognise other makes of DCC control systems working with their decoder. What hildo has said is correct i think..... Why bother with Hornby decoders if the Bachmann ones (or anyone else's come to that) work as well or better with other systems

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hornby decoders are smaller and fit into tighter spaces so they are very useful. Decoder size is a big factor for a lot of modellers. Hornby may have sacrificed some functionality to provide such a small decoder for the money.

Choice is great. Lets get back to the theme of the Hornby website and website info.

Should Bachmann make a similar move on their website?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
982 Posts
Has anyone considered that the only reason Hornby need to have a page about Hornby and third party DCC is because the Hornby Decoders/Units are not terribly compatible with other systems

Far from good consumer innovation this is a desperate step being forced on them by all the cries for help from people who have bought Select controllers or R8215 decoders and now found compatability issues.

Bachmann don't need a similar page because their units are based on proven technology and have NMRA conformance. In short there are no issues!

Only another indication that Hornbys entry into DCC has been badly mismanaged.

Again contrast this with Bachmanns no -nonsense approach.

Russell

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looking back over the last 12 months or so when Bachmann launched their E-Z system on the UK they didn't really go all out shouting from the rooftops etc.

I think they have played the Market very well. Launch a train set controller for DCC, show little Johnnie and his mum what DCC can do to get him interested. Maybe pick up a few modellers along the way. See what the reaction is; what feedback they get or see on forums and in the press.

Realise that the system is soon outgrown and people are upgrading to more expensive systems all the while keep developing a more upmarket system ready for launch if needed.

Wait for the competion to launch, have a wry smile and put teasers out for their new system.

I think when Dynamis launches it will leave the elite in its wake technically but will it gets the sales

I do think Hornby have had their nose blooded over their entry into DCC and quite rightly I think and I hope they learn from this.

Darren

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm afraid I agree with Russell. The reason Hornby have had to make this announcement is because their decoder does not work properly with other makes of equipment. I can take virtually any other make or model of decoder and program it using my Lenz equipment without any instructions except those which came with the controller.

With the Hornby decoder, I need to use this new process. I think that says more about Hornby's poor design of decoder. I hope their new 'Sapphire' decoder rectify's those problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Now what we need is for Hornby to stop all this confusion and fit this decoder to its forthcoming DCC equipped loco's and leave the existing decoder for its starter sets, new budget range and Thomas items.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Have you found Lenz equipment easy to use John ? By that I mean easy to follow guides, no erratic or unexpected behaviour.

Most posts I read seem only to say good things about Lenz . Maybe the only downside being expense?

I am a DC'er with about 75 locos. They range from 1965- date ,so most will stay DC. However I have been thinking about chipping maybe the latest 15-20 and simply substituting my guagemaster controller for a simple DCC one. Had been thinking about Hornby, but it looks like it has introduced a new level of complexity to DCC ie things don't automatically run. So now waiting for Bachmann, but would go Lenz if simpler to install and more reliable.

Russell

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 19 Jan 2007, 22:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Most posts I read seem only to say good things about Lenz . Maybe the only downside being expense?

Lenz is "top end" price wise (although you can have Lenz quality a entry level price with the Roco Multimause) - bear in mind thet Lenz is virtually the "daddy" of DCC as we know it. Personally though I would not bother with the Compact.

Plenty of Lenz documentation on the WWW & excellent back up in the UK via the importers MacKay Models. Very few people have had much in the way of pronlems with Lenz.

Good VFM systems include the Gaugemaster Prodigy & Digitrax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts