Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 4 Nov 2006, 13:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thought it was interesting that the transformer output is 15 V DC, so the Select is converting DC to AC!
I think all DCC systems work that way --- given the difference in frequency this is inevitable. Although my Compact takes an AC input, it will be rectifying and filtering that to produce DC from which it creates the DCC signal. Several systems document that they will accept either DC or AC input.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Non isolating points are undoubtedly convenient. Effectively the same as the practice of adding local wiring around each point (which also works with electro frog points).

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Nick @ 7 Nov 2006, 19:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must admit I was certainly going towards the route of the hornby select unit until I read this, if track power is not cut then how do the locos manage to stop? Can one ever create dead track for programming decoders and how do you know that the track is live?

A simple switch perhaps. You could probably use a resistor to limit the current on a 'programming' track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.