Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a layout built around Peco Setrack as I have added to my layout over the last few years and it has changed on a few occassions.
I'm now getting to the stage where it is becoming permanent and I am looking at DCC as I like the idea of the Bachmann Dynamis system.
Enough preamble. My question is around the insulfrog points that I have as it appears from what I have read that electrofrog is the preferred option. I note from the Hornby catalogue that they offer R8232 Digital Point Clips which appear to convert insulfrog to electrofrog.
Is this the case and if so are they compatible with Peco points?
My other option would be to wire up the sidings so that they receive power at all times and rely on the switching of the points to feed power to other areas. Is this realistic?
Many thanks for any advice.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (digger1962 @ 24 Sep 2008, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I currently have a layout built around Peco Setrack as I have added to my layout over the last few years and it has changed on a few occassions.
I'm now getting to the stage where it is becoming permanent and I am looking at DCC as I like the idea of the Bachmann Dynamis system.
Enough preamble. My question is around the insulfrog points that I have as it appears from what I have read that electrofrog is the preferred option. I note from the Hornby catalogue that they offer R8232 Digital Point Clips which appear to convert insulfrog to electrofrog.
Is this the case and if so are they compatible with Peco points?
My other option would be to wire up the sidings so that they receive power at all times and rely on the switching of the points to feed power to other areas. Is this realistic?
Many thanks for any advice.

Mark.

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum,

I will leave it to others to advise you of the points as i cannot answer it,of course it is down to personal choice but i would steer clear of the Dynamis, it doesnt have features other controllers at better money have .... today i was in my local model shop and asked the Bachmann rep why its infrared didnt work at times 'If you turn away it will cut out its a safety feature' was his reply more recievers fitted around the layout apparently is the solution adding more cost to the control and the add on box is around £150 on top of the base unit.

I would consider the powercab from NCE it will allow you to progamme decoders something one feature the dynamis doesnt without purchasing the add on box.

Cost for the NCE powercab is around £90 if your wiring is all complete ready for the control you can be running a loco in under two minutes

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 25 Sep 2008, 03:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum,

I will leave it to others to advise you of the points as i cannot answer it,of course it is down to personal choice but i would steer clear of the Dynamis, it doesnt have features other controllers at better money have .... today i was in my local model shop and asked the Bachmann rep why its infrared didnt work at times 'If you turn away it will cut out its a safety feature' was his reply more recievers fitted around the layout apparently is the solution adding more cost to the control and the add on box is around £150 on top of the base unit.

I would consider the powercab from NCE it will allow you to progamme decoders something one feature the dynamis doesnt without purchasing the add on box.

Cost for the NCE powercab is around £90 if your wiring is all complete ready for the control you can be running a loco in under two minutes

***You cannot turn an insulfrog into an electrofrog really, but you can improve it to a degree.

Take a look at the concept for wiring an electrogrog properly and that is the dieal way to wire a turnout/point. With an insulfrog you'd also have to jumper the two halves of the frog together if you did want to make the change as they are separated "as produced".

However, its not essential if you are generally happy with exisitng results and probably impractical if you have already created a layout that is becoming permanent as you say....so.... to be pragmatic about it, reserve the "electrofrog" for your next layout.

For this one, take your second option and just use lots and lots of feeds, but do not rely on the points to route power anywhere - always use separate feeds for all tracks.... you have no need for isolation except for a programming track, and that is best handled with a DPDT switch anyway.

The point clips are a band aid at best and a very bad idea for any permanent layout.

I concure with Nicks comment re choice of controller - The Dynamis is a very frustrating system and you would enjoy using the very competent NCE PowerCab much more

regards

Richard

·
Registered
22 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 25 Sep 2008, 05:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***You cannot turn an insulfrog into an electrofrog really, but you can improve it to a degree.

Take a look at the concept for wiring an electrogrog properly and that is the dieal way to wire a turnout/point. With an insulfrog you'd also have to jumper the two halves of the frog together if you did want to make the change as they are separated "as produced".

However, its not essential if you are generally happy with exisitng results and probably impractical if you have already created a layout that is becoming permanent as you say....so.... to be pragmatic about it, reserve the "electrofrog" for your next layout.

For this one, take your second option and just use lots and lots of feeds, but do not rely on the points to route power anywhere - always use separate feeds for all tracks.... you have no need for isolation except for a programming track, and that is best handled with a DPDT switch anyway.

The point clips are a band aid at best and a very bad idea for any permanent layout.

I concure with Nicks comment re choice of controller - The Dynamis is a very frustrating system and you would enjoy using the very competent NCE PowerCab much more

regards

Richard

I have just been playing with these clips, fitted them to some hornby points to test a DCC Elite unit and some decoder fitted locos
You dont need to isolate anything for them to work, but they are not easy to fitt and the visuals with them in is not good

but if you wish to convert to DCC without ripping up your track to hard wire the points and dont want section dedection its a cheap way out

you can always try it and if you dont like it you can always remove them again

have fun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts