Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice new loco the other day: Hornby N15 Sir Sagramore. Very nice looker and nice detail but... I think they've gone into competition with Castrol for who's got the most oil. It was swimming in it. The motor was wet on the outside and when I turned the body upside down I could see oil lying in it. I dried it up and plugged in A Zimo MX616R. I've only got a length of track connected to Decoder Pro and JMRI with a Sprog II so I tried it and it's wired back to front. I can't see why it's so difficult to get wiring right. I will be re wiring when I get a sound decoder, but for someone on DC it could be a pain when it goes in a different direction to all the other loco's they've got.
Having said that, I still like it.

·
In depth idiot
7,828 Posts
That wiring issue rang a bell. And sure enough in a review on this site written not long after Hornby introduced a newly tooled N15 to the range:

Generally a very much liked model, captures the appearance very well and sweet running. Wonder what the release date of yours was? Not seen any of the new Hornby locos I have bought since the B1/B17/L1/O1 group 'swimming in oil', which must be around ten years ago now. (Perhaps the rising price of the lube had the build operative's instructions revised to 'a tiny dab on each driven axle and gear' is sufficient?)

·
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I said, it'd be a pain for someone using DC when it goes in the opposite direction to all others. I have temporarily reversed direction, but I'll rewire it properly when I've saved up for a sound decoder.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
As I said, it'd be a pain for someone using DC when it goes in the opposite direction to all others. I have temporarily reversed direction, but I'll rewire it properly when I've saved up for a sound decoder.
Or fit the decoder round the other way (assuming 8 pin fitting) ?

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Are you sure it is brand new? you do not say the supplier but it sounds like it has been messed with, possibly returned and resold, this has happened to a few of us, if so stop messing with it as you will want to swap it out, I have two of these although not much used now only trouble I had was the valve gear falling apart on one of them.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Well it must be a large retailer then wonder if it is my friends at Hattons, anyway it has been messed with from your description, you could probably get one better on ebay.uk it sounds a bit of a project. Anyway if you like the LSWR locos I can also recommend the S15 the smaller wheel variety the H15 having intermediate 6' diameter wheels which has not appeared in ready to run yet, I really like the S15 I have to say so do not rule this one out, a new Arthur will be along soon I am sure anyway.

·
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is Hattons, but as I say, it hasn't been touched: why would anyone reverse the wiring? If I did find one on ebay UK I'd have two problems, 1: It could be a right dog and 2: postage to Australia is pretty expensive, particularly when you see some of the prices that sellers charge. No I'll stick with what I've got thanks.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yes it is Hattons, but as I say, it hasn't been touched: why would anyone reverse the wiring? If I did find one on ebay UK I'd have two problems, 1: It could be a right dog and 2: postage to Australia is pretty expensive, particularly when you see some of the prices that sellers charge. No I'll stick with what I've got thanks.
On the assumption that this has been wired incorrectly at the factory (and this has happened with all manufacturers at different points in time), sending back for replacement is only going to yield another loco with the same problem.

I had the same issue with the Adams Radial. On DC, it was fine, but on DCC, one of the pickup wires was connected to a function output, which of course, damaged the decoder.
Rather than send it back, I chose to wire it correctly myself. It is a simple 8 pin socket. Had it been a 21 pin, that would have been a different kettle of possums.

·
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly. I'll rewire when I can afford a sound decoder. Any time you send something back from over here, you run the risk of loss or damage. Then of course the fact is that with this particular loco they have no more in stock. I've been used to fixing things for myself all my life and have rewired plenty of loco's, so it's a no brainer. It's just a little bit annoying is all.

The 02 I sent back to rails was a different story though. It had a nick in the back of the cab roof, a scratch in same, a bent running plate and one of the screws in the bottom of the bunker was impossible to remove. I've asked RoS to check that both of these screws are undoable before sending it back. It's on it's way now so fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Yep keeping fingers crossed is the only way, anyway this is a plus mark for Bachmann as they are very competent and have always fixed any of my locos, Hornby rate is about 50% the low point being when 2 black fives needed new motors but they dismantled one and decided it was no longer available - despite being current sales and the motor is used in many places, Heljan have nowhere to send a loco to at all unless it is one of the Garratts sold by Hattons not much to say about the new entrants as I have had not much from them as yet so yes I guess you are on your own with this one.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Exactly. I'll rewire when I can afford a sound decoder. Any time you send something back from over here, you run the risk of loss or damage. Then of course the fact is that with this particular loco they have no more in stock. I've been used to fixing things for myself all my life and have rewired plenty of loco's, so it's a no brainer. It's just a little bit annoying is all.

The 02 I sent back to rails was a different story though. It had a nick in the back of the cab roof, a scratch in same, a bent running plate and one of the screws in the bottom of the bunker was impossible to remove. I've asked RoS to check that both of these screws are undoable before sending it back. It's on it's way now so fingers crossed.
If a mis-wired decoder socket is a pain, have a look at the problems I have been having with the Heljan class 14: Heljan Class 14 Modifications - Model Railways On-Line.
What started off as an attempt to fix the massive axle-sideplay and wobble problem quickly turned into going down a rabbit-warren of uncovering further problems. Bottom line is that the loco looks superb but the chassis is a pile of junk and extremely poorly designed. Very often, you can fix things, but when the fundamentals are flawed, you cannot proceed.

·
In depth idiot
7,828 Posts
... the chassis is a pile of junk and extremely poorly designed. Very often, you can fix things, but when the fundamentals are flawed, you cannot proceed.
I was forewarned by examination of a friend's purchase of the Hattons/Heljan Beyer Garratt, but nevertheless went ahead with Heljan's LNER 02. The first one had a wiring fault, detected immediately on programme track and rectified, the second fine, and both run and pull well, and sit stably on the track with no trouble with excessive sideplay of the coupled wheels.

But. The mechanism layout, materials choices and construction technique are all below the standard I expect, and I have refrained from my usual practise with any new model of a total strip down, having read the tribulations of those who needed to fix or wished to alter some aspect of the mechanism. I'll tackle the beast only when the need arises, resigned to modest hopes of success.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
@34C we are in agreement. The Heljan class 14 was one of my earlier purchases before I learned that purchasing from the first batch of a new model was usually a bad idea. Better to purchase from the second batch when the problems have been ironed out.

Likewise, the Dapol class 22 has a gearing ratio which is too high such that it jerks with the motor revs at low speed. The first batch of their new 43xx had the same issue. I believe this is now being rectified and they've already stated that their upcoming 'Manor' will be revised. I thought optimal gear ratios were known way back in the 1960's and 70's when kitbuilding was all the rage ??

Having said that, I didn't purchase the Bachmann model of the Bluebell Railway 'C' in SECR livery. I've missed out because it has never been produced again, despite numerous requests of Bachmann from modellers. I suspect that the dynamics of 'devaluing' existing models is at play. This is a hobby of 'toy trains' not an investment instrument!

I find it quite stunning that some manufacturers are repeatedly making the same mistakes that were learned 20-30 years ago. There is no excuse for it!

Apologies for taking the topic of thread.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Bachmann have done the C again in full SECR livery albeit the list price has shot up to £229.95
https://www.bachmann.co.uk
It can be found for around £196
They do, except the first version they did was 592 - the preserved one on the Bluebell Railway. Spent many a weekend on it in the 1970s while Dad re-designed the Sheffield Park layout for them - 90% of the layout you see today is what my father designed.

Bachmann are doing 583, which is not the Bluebell loco I have fond memories of.

Regards

Graham

1 - 20 of 27 Posts