Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steam Freak!
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i bought a pair of Hornby Dublo 3 rail points, unboxed no paperwork.

Does anyone out there know how to wire them?

are the outer contacts the Positive, and the inner contact the common Negative?

I would like to know before i blow up the house

any help greatly received!

·
Relief Freight Controller
500 Posts
The point motor has two coils. The centre connector is common to both coils and the outer terminals drive the point normal or reverse in turn. Nominal voltage is 12 volts DC but it must only be applied momentarily, otherwise the coils can burn out. The original red signal lever switch supplied with the points, applied power momentarily to both coils in turn as the lever was moved from one position to the other, with the turnout ending in the reverse or normal position depending upon which coil was energised last. I control my points with a capacitor discharge unit and it doesn't make any difference whether the common terminal is in the negative or positive leg. Hope that helps. I might have a copy of the instructions supplied with the electric points if so I'll post it.

Cheers
Geoff

·
Relief Freight Controller
500 Posts
Managed to find details about electric points. Hope that you can read post.

And here is picture of red D1 switches, sometimes see them on e-Bay.

Good Luck.
Cheers
Geoff

·
Registered
999 Posts
As the switches are passing contact ones, there's no reason why you can't use a new Hornby R044 one, or if you find them at swapmeets the the black Triang RT44 which is exactly the same switch as the existing Hornby R044.

Never use the red Triang RT48 switch as that is a simple On/Off switch which was used for ther Triang Electricaly operated Level Crossings and also for the turntable. It will burn out the coil if you use it with a solenoid point. The RT48 looks exactly the same as a new Hornby R044 but is made of red/maroon plastic.

Hope this helps.

Keith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts