Model Railway Forum banner

Hornby Dublo - Triang Coupling

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  kristopher1805 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dear members of the forum,

as you know I´m a Hornby Dublo lover - one of my greatsons also. Why old HD and old Marklin? - Locos are made of heavy - diecast and beautyful.

I recently have tried to get a HD Britannia for our future HD - trainboat project Dover - Calais - Golden Arrow train composition.

I´ve purcased one from England - not HD but Triang. Now my question to be hopefully answered by you:

How can I replace Triang couplings and instead of them mount HD Dublo couplings?

Yours Marcus

#4 ·
I recently have tried to get a HD Britannia for our future HD - trainboat project Dover - Calais - Golden Arrow train composition.

I´ve purcased one from England - not HD but Triang.

Hello Marcus. I'm afraid there never was a Hornby Dublo Britannia. There were, however, two models of Britannia from that era from other manufacturers. Obviously I do not need to mention the Tri-ang one, but Trix made a Britannia as well.

Trix began in the 1930s with AC motors and very coarse scale track but by 1956 had changed to DC and had also changed their wheel profile. Trix Britannias were introduced about this time, had cast metal bodies and come from Trix's later period when they were powered by 12v DC motors. British Trix products from this era were pretty much like Dublo, although they were made to an intermediate and somewhat variable scale which was around 3.8mm to the foot, roughly half way between 00 and H0. The discrepancy in scale, I find, is not that noticeable unless you mix Trix and Dublo coaches in the same train, so a Trix britannia at the head of a rake of Dublo coaches will not look greatly out of place. Some of the Trix Britannias you see on the second-hand market are two rail and some are three rail and the three rail ones will run well on Dublo three rail track, although Trix had their feed and return arrangement for the track the opposite way around from Dublo, so you'll get sparks flying from the tender coupling when the train is in motion unless you use a plastic coupling on either the tender or the leading coach. I don't think Trix produced any Britannias with coarse scale wheels but, if you're thinking about buying one, have a good look at the wheels just in case.

However, your mention of the Golden Arrow has me wondering if you were really thinking of the Hornby Dublo rebuilt West Country. This was available both in two rail (as "Barnstaple") and three rail (as "Dorchester") and was also one of the models that was subsequently produced by Wrenn. Unfortunately, Dorchesters attract a fair bit more money on the second-hand market that Barnstaples do so, unless you are lucky, you might have to wait a while for one to turn up for an acceptable price (it took me about a year and a half before I found one for a price I was willing to pay).

#5 ·
My father tackled this problem, first he used later type metal coupling, then removed the H?D Peco type coupling, then he made a small wooden plate that was placed across from one side to the other of the aluminium chassis of the wagon, painted black and glued in place this is about 5mm deep and about 1cm from end to it position and then the coupling is simply glued to this, I'll look for one to photograph, not beautiful but it is simple and works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.