Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I've just picked up on something that has never been mentioned in conversations that I have had with fellow Dublo folk.

The Hornby Dublo logo printed on the side of the purple and white stripped wagon boxes is positioned such that when you sit the logo the right way up the wagon inside is upside down sitting on the roof or coal load or whatever. This is not good for storage of aforementioned wagons. Best to store the wagons in the boxes with the logo upside down as only then is the wagon sitting on its wheels.

Those in the know will understand that you can only put the wagon in one way due to how the end flaps are designed just in case a comedian turns up and suggests that the wagon could always be put in the box the other way up!

This prooves that even the great Mecanno of Liverpool got it wrong occasionally!

Does anybody know of any other manufacturer whose boxes present a similar issue.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS what really makes me weep is when I visit toy fairs and see Dublo tin plate wagons held in place with a rubber band around both the wagon and the box. This induces all sorts of paint wear so would toy fair traders please refrain from this practice when displaying your wares.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Interesting this looking at 1950's Triang wagon and coach boxes when first introduced had the Triang branding on each face on opposing sides upside down relative one another on the box so depending on how the boxes were stacked the wagons and coaches could be either upside down or the right way up.

However at some point in the 1950's Triang decided to print the Triang branding the same way up on opposing sides of the box making it clearer at the factory how each item should be inserted in the box and making it clearer at the shops which way to stack boxes so that the contents were the right way up.

Clearly somebody at Triang Margate in the 1950's felt that this move was necessary to protect the models from suffering scuffing in transit and in storage.

So when you are next at a toy fair you have my permission to ********* traders who have not got the contents correctly stacked right way up on the wheels in the Triang box. It of course also gives you the excuse to negotiate a wopping great discount as contents will inevitably have suffered roof scuff damage and definitely cannot be classified as mint if they are founf to be upside down!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
As I said elsewhere I recently purchased an absolutely mint/boxed Playcraft BR bogie goods wagon. As far as I can see everything about it is perfect and it shows absolutely no evidence of ever being run. However I intend running it so that means that it will be having metal wheels fitted. In this case though I will not be weathering it or changing the couplings. Does this make me a heretic?

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 9 Oct 2007, 17:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As I said elsewhere I recently purchased an absolutely mint/boxed Playcraft BR bogie goods wagon. As far as I can see everything about it is perfect and it shows absolutely no evidence of ever being run. However I intend running it so that means that it will be having metal wheels fitted. In this case though I will not be weathering it or changing the couplings. Does this make me a heretic?

Regards

Probably - can we have a cerimonial buring of the box then ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 9 Oct 2007, 18:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably - can we have a cerimonial buring of the box then ?

I don't see why not! (sounds of purist collector crying)

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have a mint unboxed Dublo lorry which I value at £100. An identical example with a mint box with the Dublo lorry in exactly the same condition as the one I have was recently sold at Vectis for £400. Therefore that box had a value of £300.

Don't listen to that collector drongo James May. Keep the box!

And make sure the contents are stored right way up!

And don't piddle about with collectables by changing things. Why buy that collectable Playcraft wagon in the first place if you are going to piddle about?

Simply buy new Roco or whatever. Just because you conned somebody into selling you that Playcraft wagon cheap does not give you the right to piddle about. Pass it on to somebody who will fully appreciate and enjoy ownership of the Playcraft wagon!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 10 Oct 2007, 11:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a mint unboxed Dublo lorry which I value at £100. An identical example with a mint box with the Dublo lorry in exactly the same condition as the one I have was recently sold at Vectis for £400. Therefore that box had a value of £300.

Don't listen to that collector drongo James May. Keep the box!

And make sure the contents are stored right way up!

And don't piddle about with collectables by changing things. Why buy that collectable Playcraft wagon in the first place if you are going to piddle about?

Simply buy new Roco or whatever. Just because you conned somebody into selling you that Playcraft wagon cheap does not give you the right to piddle about. Pass it on to somebody who will fully appreciate and enjoy ownership of the Playcraft wagon!

Happy modelling
Gary

The box may have a value of £300 to you Gary, but what would the Dublo lorry have fetched if there had been two of them at the same auction ? - £400 each ? - doubt that very much.

In case you have not noticed have Roco or whatever do not & have not produced BR wagons - BRITHO models British HO.

Nobody was conned - the wagon was bought from the GRS stand where the owner fixes the price - honestly, do you pay someone more money than they ask for something......................

I'm sure that BRITHO will fully appreciate and enjoy ownership of the Playcraft wagon! just as much, if not more than someone who will keep it encaserated in the box - at least, when his British HO layout is on the exhibition circuit far more people will see it.

Anyway - look at it this way - the more philistines like BRITHO, Dennis & myself get rid of the boxes the more the collectors collections go up in value !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I don't think I can add anything further to what dbclass50 has alredy said apart from that on my chosen modelling path I don't have a huge choice available to me. I have to buy what I find and pay accordingly. If that price is to high then I won't pay it - end of story! Obviously if anyone has any old Lima or Playcraft HO they don't want then let me know.

By the way Gary, had you found a similar Hornby Dublo wagon would you have turned it down?

Finally I have never knowingly conned anybody at a show and have no intention of ever doing so.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts