Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have recently added the electric turntable to my layout, I am struggling to get it to work consistently it seems to have power intermittently. It sometimes will only turn a very small amount before losing power. I am running it from a seperate controller to my main controller any ideas?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I know the Hornby turntable is designed to 'pause' at each track access point so it is easier to line up the tracks. The motor is normally still whirring at this point, if it is not this, you may have a faulty turntable.

I assume you are having no problems with the controller for other things, like moving the trains about, and that the turntable is powered using the same output as the track.

Check you have connected it up properly and there are no loose wires, if you have a switch in the set up, change it for another and try again. If you do not have a spare switch, set the switch up in a basic electrical loop which is not connected to the turntable (a signal or something like that). If the switch works, you likely have a faulty turntable, contact Hornby customer services. If it works intermitently, you may have a faulty switch.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Try simply running the turntable off a separate 16V feed and plumbing in your own toggle switch - NOT running it off the track feed as suggested. That's what I've done and it works fine - ish - I have other problems with it but not the one you mentioned. I don't think the extra voltage will harm the motor but check with others ... I do not want to be repsonsible for fire/explosions..

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (Mike H. @ 26 Jan 2009, 15:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try simply running the turntable off a separate 16V feed and plumbing in your own toggle switch - NOT running it off the track feed as suggested. That's what I've done and it works fine - ish - I have other problems with it but not the one you mentioned. I don't think the extra voltage will harm the motor but check with others ... I do not want to be repsonsible for fire/explosions..

I think it is only designed to run off a 12v DC supply (preferably controlled). 16volt is usually AC and will probably damage the motor.
Regards
David Y

·
Registered
737 Posts
My railway is DCC controlled but at present I am running the turntable analogue, off a 12v DC supply using an old Hornby Speed Controller. The controller is set at about a third of full speed which means the turntable turns slowly, pausing at each exit. I have incorporated an on/off switch in the circuit so the controller does not have to be accessed each time the turntable is used.

I would have thought that operating off a full 12v DC supply would mean that the turntable will move unrealistically fast and also be noisier.

I would suggest that your turntable either has a fault/loose connection. If it is still under warranty return it to the dealer you purchased it from. You mentioned running it from a separate controller. Does it still have the same problem with your main controller?

This model is far from ideal but with a bit of weathering and burying in the baseboard it is not bad. I originally used the Peco model. More realistic , but frustrating as I could rarely stop it at exactly in line with the exit track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts