Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Delivery of Hornby Elites is now scheduled for May 2007.

That will cheese off that Ebay seller who has been offering Elites and claims he has 3 available. He has clearly been selling something he has not got and is in breech of Ebay terms.

The price also seems to have risen so there may be additional features that have now been included that we are not aware of. The feedback from Hornby Select users and others will have been useful for Hornby and having seen the console being demonstrated first hand the Elite promises to be something special!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
No real surprise there about the delay.

The eBayer pre-selling the Elite is not in breech of eBay's terms.
He has clearly stated that the items are "due in April", so provided that this was the information available at the time of listing he has complied.
Maybe, just o be on the safe side he ought to double check the availability with Hornby & amend the listing.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
That's strange. I was told in Nürnberg that they were sitting on the dock waiting for shipment...

I would imagine that Hornby are learning the hard way about compatibility, interconnection and the whole XpressNet fandango.

As soon as I get some official word on this news, I'll post an update.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The seller does indicate that delivery will take place late April which I missed. Ebay listing rule:-

QUOTE Pre-sale listings are those that describe items for sale that are not in the control or possession of the seller at the time of the listing. These listings generally consist of items that are sold in advance of a delivery date to the public.

eBay permits pre-sale listings only on a limited basis. The seller must guarantee that the item will be available for dispatch within 30 days from the date of purchase (i.e., the day the listing ends or the date the item is purchased from a shop front listing). The seller must also clearly indicate within the listing the fact that the item is a pre-sale item with a delivery date that indicates the item will be dispatched by the 30th day from the end date of the listing. Additionally, this text must be no less than the default font size of the eBay Sell-Your-Item form. Currently, the default font size is HTML font size 3

So the seller can gaurantee that he will deliver an Elite on 24th April then?

Late April is Hornby speak for Early May as it takes time deliveries to hit the shelves of stockists.

I do like this feature:-

QUOTE A PC interface socket allows for the upload of new firmware

Beam me up Scotty!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS totally off topic but the seller appears to be new to eBay and is offering 2 lengths of the extra long straight track. Have you ever tried shipping 2 lengths of extra long straight track! It generally arrives in 2 kinked lengths at the other end!
OK I guess you can use one of those poster tubes but even so...

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 24 Mar 2007, 13:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So the seller can gaurantee that he will deliver an Elite on 24th April then?

Can anyone guarantee that we will all be still here on 24th,April ?

We could all have been struck down with bird flu, blown up by terrorists or poisoned !

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE I would imagine that Hornby are learning the hard way about compatibility, interconnection and the whole XpressNet fandango.

Very well put Doug. Gary I see you get very Jittery about Jadlam Racing is there any reason why ? we don't have resale price maintenance any more, so whats your hangup ?. Good luck to them they might be a lot more obliging than some of the model shops around here.

and their from Sunny Somerset as well !

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Not jittery about Jadlem who only offer items that they are able to deliver fairly sharpish. They put very interesting packages together. The actual advertiser is somebody else. Ebay is normally a good guide as to when things are on sale and I have been checking out the Hornby Elite at regular intervals and spotted this listing which is the only one on Ebay. Further research and it seems that May is now pencilled in. As long as its the product Hornby have promised then a slight delay is not an issue and most customers waiting for the Elite won't have any hang ups either as long as it is the business!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have been told (by Hornby) that the Elite should be hitting the shops now or within the next couple of days

We'll be picking one up and giving a good test in the next week or two. We'll show you all that it can do and also how to hook it up to the Select to get the best out of multi-train control.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 25 Mar 2007, 00:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone guarantee that we will all be still here on 24th,April ?

We could all have been struck down with bird flu, blown up by terrorists or poisoned !

Brian , hang on, I have to finsh my layout first - make it April 24th, 2020.

Ron

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Bachmann Dynamis is only a few weeks behind the Elite.
Unfortunately the Dynamis Pro will be arriving later, before the Warley show (possibly September/October).
The Bachmann leaflet given out at Ally Pally, states "Full NMRA conformance" and not "designed to be compatible with..." as in the case of Hornby.

The comparisons should make interesting reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
mine arived yesterday from on tracks so they are out there. it has a very deatiled instruction book and has no problem controling a bachmann class 66 with sound fitted and can use all the sound functions.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Mine should arrive on Tuesday from Ontracks and the first thing I am going to do is to use it with my Bachmann sound loco and change the sound level setting and play around with the other cv's on the ESU decoder.

It would be a little daft of any reviewer or forum member anywhere to say something that was untrue in this day and age and also to hype a product up beyond the value on offer. Given that the Elite includes a 4amp power supply as standard which is normally around £30 if you wish to upgrade then there are already signs that there is some value on offer within the specification.

Mr. Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh&#8230;"
Captain Kirk: "&#8230;the needs of the few&#8230;"
Mr. Spock: "&#8230;or the one."

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE (royz @ 1 Apr 2007, 10:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mine arived yesterday from on tracks so they are out there. it has a very deatiled instruction book and has no problem controling a bachmann class 66 with sound fitted and can use all the sound functions.

Can I ask two questions please;

Firstly, do you know if pressing the 'STOP' button one or more times actually cuts power to the track?

Secondly, are you able to read the CV values from your Bachmann 66, or are you just able to set them?

For £100 delivered from Hattons, I just might give one a try if there is a positive answer to the above two questions. Reason being it would be nice to do a complete evaluation on Hornby's Digital products, and, at that price, I am unlikely to lose much if anything should the product need to be dumped on Ebay later.

I am going to keep an open mind on the Elite until more details emerge.

AshleyH

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 1 Apr 2007, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd like to ask a question too. Hornby say on their website that this only controls eight functions plus lights yet some have been claiming that it controls twelve. Which is true? The Hornby website or the speculators?
From Hornby's Digital FAQ's:

Q. What is the maximum number of functions that the controllers have?

A. The Select controller supports 9 functional outputs, and the Elite controller supports 13

From the same site, details on the Elite state:

The "Elite" Unit supports up to nine functions per locomotive if required.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Saphire decoder maybe or as a prompt for Elite users?

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 23 Posts