Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I know what you mean!

I prefer the console type layout and like having the two control knobs.

For the price I think it's a very good controller, yes there are a few quirks, but it's still very useable and basically does what it says it's going to do.

IMHO it would be difficult to compare it to the Dynamis, you can only compare functions available and can it program decoders, and yes both have functions and both can program decoders.
Dynamis looks like it has more functions but then what do YOU need out of a controller?
I think both will have a market place, and everyone will have their own opinions on which is better, which is probably the wrong term to use.......which one they prefer would be better.

Wireless handheld function with joystick control, against console type layout with twin control knobs is operator preference and I wouldn't knock either of them for that.

Ian

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 6 May 2007, 17:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks chaps. Gary - I've read the review, but this came out about a month ago and there seemed to be some "issues" that merited further investigation. And as this review states, its "first impressions".

We've got some confusion with the review too. It states early in the review that the software was upgraded to version 1.1, but at the end it says "18th April 2007 Update - Since the Hornby Elite review was prepared Hornby have released a firmware update (ver 1.1). Following the download of new software, CV values are now read back accurately. For visitors who wishes to update their Elite drivers there is a link to the Hornby firmware update in the review."

I have a friend who got the Select - which despite its shortcomings, still does what he wants it too. But for full compatibility should a visitor bring a loco, I want 2 and 4 digit addressing, the ability to write and read CV's, and the ability to use lenz, hornby and bachmann decoders (as these seem to be the most readily available, plus Loksound ones if I want to use SWD 's offerings, without any compatibility problems.

In this regard, i feel the Elite and the Dynamis both share these attributes, so they;re neck and neck on the features I want. I will compare price when they're both in the shops.

So, if anyone has a months worht of feedback, I'd be interested in hearing that ! And reading the above link, does this mean v1.2 is on its way ?

I don't know about v1.2 being on it's way!!

I have sent an Email off to Hornby DCC help, just waiting for the reply, they just wanted more information on the issues I was having, they did take on board the functions issue though(bit long winded to operate functions, works as described but would make it excellent to have them a little quicker/easier to operate)
I also asked if it could be possible to program which functions could be a momentary action or switched on/off, I was told it would be looked into.

I don't have a months worth of feedback for you, is there anything specific you wanted to know? Maybe I could try some things out if you want.
I'm away in Germany for the rest of the week but will be back Friday.

Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.