Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, if Hornby were to produce an EMU in 20??, what do we want?
1. 4-CIG 729.17%
2. 4-EPB/2-EPB/2-HAP520.83%
3. Clacton (Cl. 309)00.00%
4. 2-BIL14.17%
5. Brighton Belle00.00%
6. Pendolino28.33%
7. Cl. 304/305/30828.33%
8. 4-CEP14.17%
9. Cl. 310/31228.33%
10. 3-SUB/1920s Electric Stock14.17%
11. Other (Please say below what you'd like!)312.50%

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, Hornby say they've postponed the EMU, according to some. Others say they're making a Pendolino. Wot do ya reely wont?

I think they shouldn't tool up a Pendolino, for a number of reasons:

1. Only one livery so far

2. Dapol have done it to a reasonable (Though not on a par with the latest Hornby/Bachmann models) standard

3. If it were, say, the Virgin Voyager, I could put up with that- it has a wide geographical area. But this is limited to WCML (and Holyhead behind a Cl. 57/3) ops. Yet, Hornby have dropped the idea of a Southern EMU becaise they are geographically restricted!

Personally, methinks we should get a 4-CIG, and Replica (Who are tooling up an MLV) should make a BR 4-EPB in NSE for 2007! :0) :0)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Being from ooop north i see you have covered all the daarn sarf stuff,

The 2 types i see daily around Leeds are the 321's and 333's. These would possibly be viable as both are variants of types used in other areas. I've been on a 321 and all i can say you wouldn't have to worry about falling asleep and missing your station!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I would've added the Cl. 321, but it was a bit too late (besides, who'd want a dusty bin in OO apart from me!). Still, that would have been cool. Shame I forgot to put in a Cl. 317/318/319/320/321/322/455/456/150 option- think of how many units that would cover!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hornby for 2006 here. No word of EMU!

Pendolino
New Britannia
King Aurthur
M7
Rebuilt BOB/WC

MK3 Sleeper and TGS (new tooling hornby?)

Lima name under hornby
Class 121 and 101
Class 59 (ARC, Yeoman and EWS
Class 73 (Green Pullman and Fraggonset)
Class 67 (EWS and Royal Train)
Class 156
GWR railcar
CCT and the PDA/JCA Wagons

Plus about 290 new items and finally New Digital systems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (steventrain @ 28 Dec 2005, 14:06)Hornby for 2006 here. No word of EMU!
Pendolino
New Britannia
King Aurthur
M7
Rebuilt BOB/WC

MK3 Sleeper and TGS (new tooling hornby?)

Lima name under hornby
Class 121 and 101
Class 59 (ARC, Yeoman and EWS
Class 73 (Green Pullman and Fraggonset)
Class 67 (EWS and Royal Train)
Class 156
GWR railcar
CCT and the PDA/JCA Wagons

Plus about 290 new items and finally New Digital systems.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Old chap, you're breaking the forum rules!

BTW, look at the TOPS desig for a Pendolino- see what it comes under!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE Class 59 (ARC, Yeoman and EWS

I've got the Lima 59 and it runs really badly - will Hornby be using their own pickups and motors etc?

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (cig1705 @ 27 Dec 2005, 21:30)So, Hornby say they've postponed the EMU, according to some. Others say they're making a Pendolino. Wot do ya reely wont?

I think they shouldn't tool up a Pendolino, for a number of reasons:

1. Only one livery so far

2. Dapol have done it to a reasonable (Though not on a par with the latest Hornby/Bachmann models) standard

3. If it were, say, the Virgin Voyager, I could put up with that- it has a wide geographical area. But this is limited to WCML (and Holyhead behind a Cl. 57/3) ops. Yet, Hornby have dropped the idea of a Southern EMU becaise they are geographically restricted!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree and think they should tool up the pendolino. I think it would sell well for Hornby in the catalogues and toy stores. The kids all like high speed train packs (eg Eurostar, HST).

I don't know much about the Dapol model. Did it sell well? I think they released a further small batch not long ago, but were sold out in no time
I think Dapol are concentrating more on N gauge in 2006, so further production runs might be very limited.

As for being 'limited to the WCML', that maybe so, but this train travels Glasgow-Euston which is a heck of a long way. All those counties to pass through; I think its geographical area is just fine, plus there's the added bonus of those fancy Virgin adverts on telly.

Go on Hornby, do it, you know it makes sense

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have made three posts here hidden. They contain info that is embargoed by Hornby until 1st January 2006. After the 1st Jan, I'll un-hide the posts so you can continue the discussion.

You may have copied it from another site or seen it in a magazine - other people may choose to break an embargo for their own reasons.

We agreed to keep the embargo and in return we have the full information of the 2006 range from Hornby. We will show it all and more in a couple of days.

·
Registered
982 Posts
EMUS that would sell well

313/314/315/507/508 Think of all the liveries! also 3 Car EMU more cost effective and saleable than 4 car one.

317/318/455 and possibly 150/2. Lots of liveries again. Problem of cost of 4 car mu and also rebuilds of 455s mean they look quite different. Only advantage is that bodyshell could enable a 150/2 2 car diesel sprinter too

I would go with the 313 even though the units are a bit long in the tooth now.

Forget a Southern EMU. The market is too fragmented and people north of the Thames won't shell out the hard earned on a 4 car EMU on a spontaneous buy just because it looks good (unlike a King Arthur or Rebuilt West Country or M7!)

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I must admit that I don't know enough about EMU's so have never voted in any poll of this type.

I do know that there are a lot of kit companies out there who can satisfy the requirements of those desperate for a specific EMU model but of course kit building can be a slighty alarming thought for many hobbyists and ready built kits can put things beyond an affordable price bracket.

To me it seems that Hornby (or whoever) should develop a generic chassis and a range of generic modular body parts that enables them to offer a reasonable representation of an EMU at a reasonable price and give Hornby (or whoever) the flexibility to do smallish production runs of a number of different EMU classes.

Is this sort of thing possible or is it pie in the sky?

Correct me if I am wrong but an EMU body basically has 2 sides, 2 ends, and a roof. Thats 5 modular parts plus glazing which could be used to create a 3 or 4 car unit. The model would not be perfect but could certainly be 80% right.

Whilst this sort of thing may not be acceptable in todays market at least it permits something to be offered in ready to run form when at the moment there is nothing offered.

Now I do speak with little knowledge of this subject and I am simply putting something in the pot for discussion. I have no desire to upset anybody. There may be several classes where this modular arrangement may be possible and if so which are they?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
487 Posts
Someone mentioned the Pendolino - I was interested in this model, in this case made by Fleischman, other than the extortionate price, this model can cause problems as it leans into the curves of the track and not exactly suitable for small layouts. The pendulum mechanism fitted in the Pendolino is on the side of fragile and will not stand any rough handling.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I assume if hornby make it tilt the mechanism will be like the bachmann super voyager which has a sloping cam under the body which engages as the bogie turns a corner and tilts the body. I've never seen one running on a layout but would imagine if you stopped half way onto a curve half the set would be tilted and the other half sat level. Kind of APT like maybe!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I would have thought that a Hornby Pendolino will use exactly the same tilting mecahanism as their APT which was a very good model . Its difficult to belive that the model is now 25 years old!

Russell

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (paul_d @ 31 Dec 2005, 12:58)Does the Dapol model tilt?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Model Rail December 2001, it does. The model uses centrifugal force to tilt when going round curves. This is different to the APT/221 system (The 221 system being a copy of the US market Acela system), which uses the bogies to tilt the body (via a cam, I think!).

Model rail dubbed the Dapol tilt as being better than the "active" tilt, and I think they said it was one of the best tilting trains ever, although they criticised the glossy finish and plastic panto born out of the display nature of the model.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (cig1705 @ 27 Dec 2005, 20:30)So, Hornby say they've postponed the EMU, according to some. Others say they're making a Pendolino.
I think they shouldn't tool up a Pendolino

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops!,-too late!

All the kids recognise a Virgin train,and in a red box with 'Hornby' on it,it'll sell..

·
Registered
763 Posts
I blame that damn advert you know the one with the railway children on it. I'd like to see a pendolino whooshing up the worth valley

Just think of some of the wonderful names they'll have too... Virgin Explorer!! Virgin Quest!!! Friday night pastime i thought. Somewhat worrying Virgin Invader
Just virgin on the ridiculous missing to complete a really naff set of "borrowed" Western names

·
Registered
763 Posts
As for the southern region Emu's Demu's and dmu's the class types are just downright baffling . I can get the 2,3 and 4 bit its the letters after that are bewildering I always thought 4ceps were used to pick stuff up. But i supose the system does date back to the dawn of time and the southern railway always liked to use confusing number schemes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts