Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hornby has established the principle of running scale-length trains with the possibility of a 9-car Pendolino, stretching to 2875mm.
Now it introduces the prospect of the 6-car Hitachi Class 395, which is excellent. The irony is that the Cl 395 will be the same length as the longest-possible Eurostar, clearly not at all true to prototype.
Some years ago the Hornby price list showed additional Eurostar carriages, believed to be the buffet/bar, which would at least have enabled 8-car trains, but were not introduced. Hornby missed the marketing opportunity of the full opening of HS1 15 months ago to enhance its model by offering more coaches.
I'm certainly not advocating full 20-unit or even Regional 16-unit trains, but a 10-unit train would come in at 2900mm, barely an inch longer than a Pendolino. A pair of buffet/bar coaches and a pair of standard economy coaches would stretch the current 6-unit formation to something closer to an acceptable model.
What more do we have to do, besides filling in the forms at each Hornby Roadshow, to convince Hornby of the case to enhance its model?

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I think a full length eurostar would be pointless at 2.9m long (nearly 9 feet) as it would swamp most layouts and be a definite "tailchaser"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes please!!!!!!!

But as well as the additional coaches to get it up to say a ten coach train (e.g. M1, R1, R2, R6, R9, R10, R13, R17, R18, M2) the model also needs a major upgrade even just to match the standards set by the Pendolino.

Including-:
OO gauge scale articulated bogies and corridor connections (I believe the existing ones were incorrectly scaled at HO to rush the model out - lack of headroom height!).
A better method of joining the articulated coaches.
A better (more powerful) motor.
Better pantographs.
Working lights.

Incidentally the model as it stands didn't get a terribly good review in the 2008 'Model Rail RTR' Directory, in particular it was critisised for being rather 'toy like'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry for beating a dead horse but...

this is the one thing that annoys me when it comes the horny eurostar is like the others have said is that even with the two divisible saloons, it's still shorter then the class 390 and barely longer then the class 395, i wish hornby would make more coaches for their eurostar.

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Deleted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts