Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have seen a flying scotsman on ebay model, controllers, coaches an rolling road? he says its just had a service do i or dont i my heart says yes but mind says no? its all boxed all there he says?? any advice on this

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
How's the price compare to, for example, Hatton's? (Try www.hattons.co.uk as I can't see a live steam set in the current magazines' adverts.)

But bear in mind that these steam models are more complex than the standard 12V models and if anything goes wrong you may have to fork out a bit as you are not the original owner, whom Hornby usually treat quite well!

The rolling road is very useful - gives you the opportunity to see how the loco works and to practice starting and stopping - I use mine for a few minutes before putting locos on the track, as this warms up the cylinders, gets rid of the condensation and thus allows much better control when they are on the track.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
Yes, I've seen this on ebay. Sounds a very good offer. I bought my Papyrus from ebay, supposedly used once only and at a good price. Whoever had used it had used the wrong water (seemed like tap water) and the whole thing wouldn't go after two steams. Thanks to the wonderful people at Hornby, they serviced it (at no expense - they are wonderful) and it has worked perfectly ever since. Personally, I would say it is worth a gamble because even if you do have problems Hornby's customer service is right behind you. Good luck. You won't regret joining the live steam fraternity. It is addictive.
Bernard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts