Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a hornby flying scotsman limited edition prairie class 2-6-2t 61xx early that is on a plaque with inset five pound coin. it is a limited edition one of only 1950 worldwide. i was wondering if anybody on here could put a value on it? thankyou

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
We need more info. What has 2-6-2 has to do with Flying Scotsman and what is the significance of the plaque? Is it boxed and what is the "R" number? Are you sure its a Hornby model as I don't recall any models with £5 coins and have Hornby ever done plaques? There have been plenty of Flying Scotsman Ltds in the past mainly for Beatties and GUS and other retailers but none fitting the info provided.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is it one of the models cast using the old dublo moulds as i've seen these type of things on sale before but never a 61xx tank engine. How long have you had it? or do you have any ideas as to its age?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It could be one of those "Doverdale Design" type "Steam Memories" things cast from Hornby locos and stock (They do a Terrier, 4472, Hamilton etc.)- which would explain why they've put it with a coin to make it more collectable...

·
Registered
122 Posts
hi will 1000, from what i can see, it is a 4-6-2 and not as you have said above. i have never seen one like this, but i do have one on a board of similar fashion and without the coin that cost me £5 a few months ago. i also have a genuine hornby 'limited edition' 4472 flying scotsman with double tender and that cost me about £72.95 about five years ago. sorry i can't be of any further help on this for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re the double tendered flying scotsman - I have the one with LNER colours (2 green tenders
) but it is at home, not university and i cant remember the item code do you happen to know it?

more importantly though - i missed the Limited edition coach set that went with it - only finding the coach set for the BR double tendered train some years later in a car-boot.

what kind of price should i pay (if i can find them) on either the LNER coach set or the BR train?

Also, since hornby's site is pathetic at this kind of information - does anyone know the item codes for these 4? (or of a site thats more comprehensive in covering the models over the last few years?)

Thanks!

P.s. newbie here so i hope ive not trodden on any toes!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unfortunately, all my gear is packed well away and at the moment all my railway items are deep under cover, so I can't just get it out and look for you as I normally would. I do hope somebody can help you soon.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The Hornby double tender Flying Scotsman is R075 with the equivalent in the GUS packaging being R114. They are identical models with different packaging. A double tendered R075 was sold recently in a proper auction (not Ebay) with the buyer paying £175 including premium.

There is a later version with tenders in different colours.

Not sure about the coach pack references but if you can pick up a mint example of the pack for £100 you will be doing well.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 1980`s scotsman with smoke deflectors and a 1980`s mallard in green both in boxes and hardly run
purchased from ebay 5 yrs ago ,i

bought the 2002 scotsman trainset and few yrs later decided to buy bachmann mallard in blue both will look excellent when get my layout up and running

dont think will run the 80`s ones just have them in sidings

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (tornado @ 27 Sep 2008, 01:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have a 1980`s scotsman with smoke deflectors and a 1980`s mallard in green both in boxes and hardly run
purchased from ebay 5 yrs ago ,i

bought the 2002 scotsman trainset and few yrs later decided to buy bachmann mallard in blue both will look excellent when get my layout up and running

dont think will run the 80`s ones just have them in sidings

nicktan
I have a collection of doverdale design models 0-6-0 Terrier Tank, the Flying Scotsman, Mallard (unpainted) and City of Birmingham, but these are all made in China, so I assume quite recent models. I'm having difficulty finding anything out about them, can anybody help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts