Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I invested in the Hornby 2018 catalog and of course made directly for the steam loco section, passing on the way various train sets and train packs.
That is the offer of almost every late steam express locomotive so to plug through the list we have.

LNER types
A1 original type Flying Scotsman
A1 Peppercorn type 'Tornado' (Railroad)
A3 Flying Scotsman 60103 1959 style
A4 a fair variety including a selection of the Railroad range
B17 (also Railroad)
B12
D16
P2 first version Cock 'O' the North (Railroad)
D49 (in Railroad)

SR
Merchant Navy un rebuilt
Merchant Navy rebuilt
West Country?BoB unrebuilt
West Country/BoB rebuilt
Lord Nelson - new effort from Hornby fills a missing gap abandoned by Bachmann a good looking effort
King Arthur N15
Schools V class also in Railroad

GWR
Kings a range of
Castles
A Star class
County 4-4-0 type

LMS
New streamlined Duchess
Rebuilt Patriot
Rebuilt Royal Scot "The Rangers' a GCR loco so I may take one of these.
4P compound (Railroad)

BR
Britain this one Coeur de Lion and there is Oliver Cromwell

So a few drop offs such as the unrebuilt Patriot and the Duke of Gloucester BR8P but the big surprise here is the lack of an unstreamlined Duchess/Princess Coronation/City which was only introduced last year, do they think they saturated this market, I might have had one but they are likely to have gone for at least a year

All these express locos have rather squeezed the lesser loco types so although 8F and K1 are there and you can find a Hall a pair of Granges, a solitary B1 (likely I will take one of these) a pair of Q6's the BR class 4MT, Black 5's, there is a nice new J36 a fine job clearly may buy one for fun the SR Q1, J15, L1 hangs in there in LNER apple green a Fowler 2-6-4tank, M7, H class, GWR 2-8-0 tanks, a pair of Adams tanks and J50 plus some more industrial offers and a Terrier.

Finally the poor J83 lingers as does the decent 72xx some train packs such as a K1 so may be worth a look.

So is there much here for me? well I am a mixed traffic and freight sort of a guy but I am well stocked up on the Black 5, I'd like an 8F with Fowler tender so that is on the list and the new J36 in NBR black plus another B1, in fact I have been contemplating ousting the two Bachmann ones I have and replacing them with Hornby versions, I have a Q6 which I think has a weak motor and have long thought about a second S15, the Rebuilt Scot the Rangers is tempting however I am not bursting with desire here and really want none of the bigger express locos but I'll buy some of the above to keep Hornby going with my small contribution.

I'll have a look at the freight stock next (at least the steam era stuff) however if you want to comment of the diseasals and the tramcar type stuff them be my guest, I will comment on other areas.

I'll be the first to mention a mistake - on the track geometry plan they have R4 at 552 millimetres whilst it is of course 572.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a lot of interest here which must be a worry to Hornby one assumes that the express loco strategy must have some marketing validity and that has meant a significant range of coaches, I'll have a look at these in a bit more detail later.

Anyone else interested in these models and yes model inflation well outstrips that which is general and those of us on pensions and the like (me unemployed just now) find that our budgets are stretched, I have been cutting deals with Hattons older for new but that will run out soon which will cut back spend and I have some repairs piling up.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm sort of in the same zone, my N7 has had issues I actually have its original builders plate as it was made in Gorton so an N7 looks good, I'd like an A2/1 but an A2/3 would be nice ad nearly as good. the J6 would be a good 'un, correct about V2 a bit of a lost opportunity there. So hope more post on this interested in your views.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Adrian I think you are better qualified to talk about the coaches but today I'll look at Hornby's wagons. Last year we saw a severe downgrade with a lot of models being withdrawn, as a result we saw a good number of private owner open wagons but not much else, clearly this year is better and certainly more balanced.
There are 41 such open wagons however and a christmas truck which would be better in the Railroad section I think. They have 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 plank wagons plus a few 21 tonners
Recent offerings include the 20Ton coke wagon in 7 varieties a trio of 21 ton hoppers which look OK and staying with the theme of the steam railway there are a few tanks, the Carless tanker has returned which saw me scour shops last year to find one which I did and there is a Pumpherston oil larger tank from Glasgow then onto a selection of 7 SR cattle wagons which is a quite new model, a pair of horse boxes and then a conflat with BD container and finally a SR vent van, great but Bachmann have this covered exactly which is a shame they could not pick something a bit different a few Rudd wagons but a later post steam liveries and then 7 guards vans the Shark being in EWS, the NE one in red/grey the others being 2 LMS style and 2 southern style one as SR labelled and one GW style toad in grey.

Star of the show will be the new LNER type Toad brake vans of B and E varieties so this is welcome but maybe in time for Christmas but not sure which year.

For more modern image modellers there are Seacows, Trouts, PCA fee tanks, a dubious HEA hopper with Hornby on the side, a ZCV and some timber wagons looking rather germanic. For longer items there is a ferry van some KFA container flats with containers.

The train packs reveal a few more options if you buy in threes including some milk tankers which look good, and some 20 ton ICI silver tank wagons.

So better than last year and a reasonable balance but too many private owner open trucks is my assessment

Is there much to tempt me, well no, the new toads certainly when they come out the two obvious candidates for me are well covered by Bachmann and I have the milk train I want being IMS made by Dapol whose dairy was at Marylebone hard by the GCR station. I model 1962 and have been eliminating private owner wagons in favour of BR 16 tonnes weathered and battered, the Railroad range is limited the best of them being a triple pack of MGR hoppers which stand out so the ranges may be a bit mixed here. As usual the Thomas range has a pair of troublesome trucks but I doubt they will be of much interest to us on here either.

So better than last year but not for me, Bachmann get my desultory spend but Hornby may just get a slap of a couple of the new brake vans when they make it to the retailers.

OK so coaches next.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Adrian, many ex Hornby Dublo later Wrenn bodies ended up with Dapol and they run well and look good but father was able to buy a lot of Wrenn wagon chassis so they all sit on those rather than the plastic type but I still want to see a more typical 1962 van/container/XP sort of train and well Hornby are just not with it on this.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK to look at coaches the catalog shows 135 coaches and a dummy HST power car on top of which there are 25 in the Railroad range a grand total of 160 different units which I find to be astonishing, given the paucity of wagons except the open plankers then this is a surprise. One assumes that the effort to produce so many express locomotives means that there is a push to give each something to tow around the layout, it also suggests that there is a pretty good mark up on the price.

Coaches readily top £40 these days and that is as much as the cheapest loco so there is some truth in that, certainly the models are looking better and the quality breathes down the guards compartment of the Bachmann Mark 1, that said I have so many coaches that I need to dispose of a few not to buy more so they have little chance of any sales in my direction.....perhaps

Pullmans, a fine selection here with the observation coach heading the list and well it looks too and there are 8 others none of them 12 wheelers so a train can be made up with a fair variety I have a set of these but never use them but they are very nice.

Southern, 16 of these in a variety of styles and eras (Hornby have adapted the German system of eras to tell you which time frame a particular model comfortably sits within). The big news if of the Coaching stock is the new 59 foot kitchen/diner in earlier and later Southern green it does look good and with the strong SR support these days should and deserves to sell well
Further on there are a further 7 coaches and a brake van B which is a useful thing to have.
Just to show willing then there are some Maunsell coaches in blood and custard another 5 of those.
Finally at the end there are two twin sets of push/pull carriages which should do well as a shunting plank does not have room for a big express but push/pull sets could be seen any and every where.

GWR, an autocoach in GW livery continues but it is the ONLY GWR liveried coach, there are two BR mark 1's in brown/cream of the late 1950's so GWR fans might be feeling forgotten however some Hawksworth types appear in blood/custard along with some Collets in the same scheme to the total of 12 overall which is an interesting switch, the GWR has long held a preference and one assumes that this is getting to the point that there is some market saturation and maybe the later scheme may have a wider appeal which given the width of the coaches limiting the use outside GWR areas is ironic.
The auto coach also comes in maroon which is good. Along with these are some other Collet coaches in maroon.

LNER teak, a popular return for this look which has always been difficult to replicate with Gresley corridor and Thompson non corridor stock that look good and are a bit different, I might be tempted if in BR maroon and certainly would be by the BG but that too is in teak as mine is from an old kit, but this looks better .
I also like the Thompson non corridor central lavatory brake just the sort of thing for secondary services around Towcaster so again this has possibilities (now where is my maroon paint) In actual fact there are some Gresley non corridor stock in maroon odd they have not chosen the Thompson set so a bit more variety there.

LMS, the big 12 wheeled dining car continues in both LMS and BR formats with a set of Stanier coaches which have long been available and some 57 footers which have a typical look of the period about them. There is a range of non corridor stock in BR maroon as well.

BR the BG comes in both maroon and blood and custard but it is the B&C that catches the eye with 7 different B/G options but also in maroon so a good choice, these have come on and look very well the same selection then is shown in Blue/Grey 7 coaches and a BG so they have the options pretty well covered there.

After that there are mark 2D's and E's and mark 3's in modern liveries (post 11/8/1968 when the world stopped turning) A bit of a shame as the very first mark 2's were made and painted in maroon in the steam era but the blood and custard went by 1964 and the blue grey came along in 1966 so a bit of a confusing time here for transition fans.

The Railroad range keeps it simple 2 each of Pullman, teak LNER, GWR and Stanier LMS coaches again blood and custard is popular with Marks 1 sets in this and maroon plus chocolate/cream again with BG's and there are two old favourites in GWR format a mail van and a restaurant coach and lastly a mark 2 in blue/grey.
Just in case you want something older there are a variety of 4 wheelers and then a few more in the Thomas range including Annie and Claribel of course and the other coaches look like low window Maunsells in the usual Sodor liveries. adding these in makes 170 different coaches!

So whatever you run you'll find something there for you and Hornby have it covered one detects a coach fan in the Hornby HQ as really this is a bit bewildering but yes there is something for each of the steam express locos to pull. To me it spells out the paucity of freight stock and is unbalanced however it is a clear marketing strategy, buy the loco and all the stock for it to pull but Hornby it is getting a bit pricey.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we have now looked at the Steam loco side of things (lots of express types) looked at the coaches (vast numbers and choice) and wagons (good range of planked wooden wagons but this elsewhere) so now time to look at what Hornby offer in other areas.

Track, nothing has changed here and really Hornby should consider some work, I no longer use this much on the railway but retain some for other purposes such as the tramway and I have some semi-flex in the fiddle yard roads, semi-flex is Ok but the chairs are weak and re-using this is not easy but the track does stay as you curve it so it has its uses.
The other track is Ok but when it comes to points there are still shortcomings, the cross overs are a bit chunky frog wise the curved points are OK when you lead out of the junction but leading into the split then the inside track is simply not good enough one of the worst pieces, in fairness rivals Bachmann, Peco and even Fleischmann are no better so it needs a redesign the Express point is quite nice but it needs a much stronger front end as mine fell apart very quickly,
and yes as I mentioned before R4 is 572 mm not 552 as they have it in the catalog. On related matters it looks like they have improved the track pins the rest continues as before whilst the controllers also continue Hornby sing the now familiar e-link/railmaster dcc system. What is newer is the big push towards sound a great added value scheme but sound has to be tuned to locomotives which is a significant added complication.

The plastic station is there as it was and there is a fair range of resin buildings better than last year, Hornby look more like the 'one stop shop' that is always has been until it was under the control of the accountants and it needs to retain this position to attract customers and keep it's brand busy, I've said it before they keep spending the money on the wrong schemes and getting caught out whereas a bit more effort on the trains would at least add some value.

Hornby too have a very significant range of items not under production just thinking about steamers such as the Black Motor 700, T9, 4F, 2P, 28xx, 38xx, there are lots of others and the disappearance of the unstreamlined Duchess is a surprise but overall a better effort this year by Hornby but with a lot of work to do.

Let me know what you think!

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks for the comments guys and gals so what does this add up to for Hornby. I did a review last year in regards to the models listed in the British Train models publication and no doubt I'll have another look this year, generally much I agreed with but not all. I can do so as I own quite a few (well nearly all) of the steam models listed so now I thought I would reveiew whether they can get Kris's recommendation.

LOCOS part1.
Brittania 'Oliver Cromwell' The Brit is a bit of a Cinderella model, really rather good but it is quite long for many layouts however the fact that these are not discounted ever so far as I have seen, no real vices, can pull well, smooth and has a good motion so a decent buy but at the price I guess you have to want one to buy one but certainly I would be willing to have another, my Clan is basically the same of course and that is a little bit better not for any particular reason. 8/10

Stanier 4-6-2 incl Streamliner, not been able to get hold of the non streamliner and the streamlined version has no interest for me, that said the model drawings show a fine effort and I hope one day a Duchess will steam into Towcaster but I simply cannot rate at this time.

Gresley A4, Good model perhaps not the very best assuming it is similar to the ones I do have depends upon the price but been around a long time so I would place this at 6/10 however this is because it is an older effort and the latest models are that bit better generally, my newest Sparrowhawk is very nice although the lubricator crank fell off so yes nice loco but I stick by 6/10.

Bullied Merchant Navy, the unrebuilt is of no interest but might consider the later one for my 1962 layout, they look good for sure but I feel I cannot rate as I have neither.

Gresley A3, an evergreen model been around and probably the last steam model that will be made as the most famous of locos, I like the 1959 version of 60103 and my similar Brown Jack is nice to have around and as there were quite a few and they went onto secondary duties so did get around, a decent model but much in common with the A4 so I'll call it 6/10

Bullied West Country/BoB the rebuilt versions got around a bit and so is of interest but I have neither so cannot rate.

Urie S15, a very nice mixed traffic loco, love the looks and its motion, good track manners and a nice runner, mine possibly has a motor playing up but these can be bought some models at a discount and this makes them a bargain so a decent 8/10 for this one and despite the numbers of locos I have this is a popular regular.

Urie N15, another nice loco that is competent in fact the first modern loco I bought new and it is still nice, I have two of these but they do not get the work they deserve but if you can use one then make an excuse to buy - a good un 7/10

GWR King, the big King was limited to a few lines so I have left this one out and cannot rate it.

Maunsell Nelson, looks good and I have high confidence, I may buy one so we'll see how we go look forward to getting my hands on one - not rated

GWR Castle, another nice effort but again I do not have one so I have not rated it.

GWR Star, I assume it has the same underpinings as the Castle I do fancy one of these but it is no priority.

GWR Grange, I have one and it is a very good effort, has been a good puller good on the track and never any bother, this loco can be found work on any western layout so a decent 8/10

Thompson B1, one of the most useful and nicest locos ever produced, usual Hornby good track manners can tackle any job, good haulage and hill climbing have decided to add another I have 4 currently so an easy 9/10

LNER B12/3, a huge improvement on the old Triang effort, this is a lovely model and again smooth and powerful and another firm favourite on the layout 9/10

Gresley B17, very similar to the B1 in many ways and operates just as well again good on the track, haulage and hill climbing, hard to go wrong if a bargain is on offer and has to be another 9/10

Rebuilt Patriot/Scot, excellent effort and nice to see in the catalog with some options there were a lot of these and seen across the midlands and north so a good one to buy and have on the layout, I have 8 of these as father collected quite a few so always a useful loco 7/10.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for that both, I would have confidence that the Hornby Castle is good at 9/10 and accept your judgement entirely. I can accept that the newer A4 is an evolving model so although my Sparrowhawk is so very good the older ones have marked it down so a 7/10 it shall be for these newer versions.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
LOCOS Part2

Before I go any further the comments and conclusion reached here are based on my own experiences and are for amusement purposes there is nothing like asking someone who has one as to whether a proposed purchase is a peach or a lemon, I am always able to re-evaluate as well.

Stanier Black 5, actually Colemans masterpeice (he actually designed it), getting a bit old now but still an effective model, has some good features such as sprung rear axle but this was an excellent job from the get go, a few features could be uprated such as the tender and I have had trouble with fragile blower steam pipes but I have a few of these although some need attention and there is almost always one on the layout in the active roster and I recently bought a good secondhand one as well. Possibly the widest spread steam loco could literally be seen anywhere. Still good but a small upgrade would put it there with the B1 which is a newer model so a solid 8/10 from me.

Riddles 4MT, Good looking model with heaps of detail however a bit fragile even had motors come loose and has been troublesome in some areas, I have two in bits currently so although as good as the B1 in looks its actual performance is not as good as would be hoped and thus I have downrated this model to 6/10.

Thompson K1, an excellent effort, the K1 is no express loco from glorious named trains but this is an excellent model, some versions can be bought for less than £90 and at that it is a great loco, hill climbing, track manners, pulling, speed control, looks it has the lot so I have to mark this very high also none of the L1 front pony truck either I cannot think of a fault but assume there must be one so 9.9/10 - I have 2 of these and love them both.

Stanier 8F, the freight companion to the Black 5, another hit from Hornby, the 8F was nearly as large in number built and got around a lot, the Hornby model has been around a while but is still good and 48045 a Fowler tender version is on my aquisition list, I have 4 of these and they are all good and all used on the layout so a nice effort however again needs a bit of work to get up to K1 levels so 7.5/10

Raven Q6, The Raven is a new model and is a simple one with inside cylinders so should have been easy to design and make, I have one but I have found it weak on hill climbing and pulling effort no better than an 0-6-0 which I put down to a small motor using high gearing but still short of pulling power, as a result I think it is expensive for what it is and award 6/10

Thompson D16/3, a useful lightweight passenger effort for the eastern lines of the LNER as rebuilt by Thompson whilst in charge at Stratford works. this model is very nice, has as much detail as exists so difficult to add more, smooth, good manners a bit weak on pulling but this is due to the 4-4-0 format, I found as I added coaches that the tender wanted to shorten the chord and had to add weight but it looks nice and some examples can be brought very cheaply in the £80 range which is a bargain but overall an 8.5/10

Maunsell V class Schools, I had one a while back but sold it, this one has traction tyres but I do not know about this current one so is hard to see but may be free but on this basis cannot rate.

Holmes J36, Looking good hope it does well, Hornby have been doing well with 0-6-0 locos of late such as the 700 black motor so I expect good performance but cannot rate, quite fancy the NBR version all the same.

Bullied Q1 'Frankenstien' I have one of these too and it is an interesting and different loco, good pulling power so overall 7/10

GER J15, a throwback to the Victorians a small 0-6-0 with a big pulling effort so a surprisiongly useful loco and one that is worth a second look, no vices and a very competent effort, 5 versions available so no excuse to not buy one. 9/10

Thompson L1, this should be 10/10 up there with the very best but the erratic front truck arrangement is enough to pull the rating down just hope Hornby can get rid of this idea as soon as possible and as a result I give it 7/10 on the basis that some are less of a problem than others, mine is a dog and improvements as detailed on here recently will be tried soon.

Fowler 2-6-4tank, A long lived model I have one but it is a reluctant runner presently, an older model and not great in this company just wonder if it has been upgraded at all but decline to rate as mine is an older version.

GWR 42xx, 2-8-0 tank, I have the companion 2-8-2 tank which is quite good so a fair model climbs quite well and likely geared and motored as per the Q6 so OK but probably a 6/10 (also for the 2-8-2t)

Maunsell M7, no idea about these but they always strike me as the most overpriced models in the OO world. cannot rate.

Wainwright H class, looks really nice but again cannot rate as have never seen one.

Adams 415 class tank. Another good looker but again never had one, I bought an Oxford but it was useless but I would expect the Hornby to be more competent but cannot rate as no experience

J50 tank, A good looking loco which I use on my layout, quite good all round and looks the part only issue has a stutter on insulfrog points so a slight points loss there but otherwise a good one to have 7.5/10

All the rest up next

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OK sounds better than I thought, the M7 originally appeared in very early Hornby days after the switch of Triang into Hornby must have been around 1969 in fact I have all the original catalogs from those days, so how many versions have there been since then. An 8/10?

Now this begs the question about modifications and upgrades ongoing at Hornby and when they do these because they are not listed, clearly adding dcc was a change, altering the tender pick up to the silly white plug, the motors, traction tyres then removing same it must be pretty constant and makes me wonder about the serial numbers a whole subject area for study here and this is needed by those who buy secondhand to avoid the lemons.

From the above some news for Hornby

1. The uncased Duchess is of interest
2. The Fowler tender 8F
3. another B1
4. Another Black 5
6. Like to look at a Nelson
7. The Peckett may be of interest
8. NBR livery J36 just for fun
so some chance of a sale or two there Hornby but tell me why I should dump older versions to buy the latest effort and when are you going to make a rebuilt Crosti?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OK time for part 3, so thanks for all the comments thus far,

Austerity 0-6-0t, quite a handy model this one, I had one of these once and it had sound, in fact it sounded just like a coffee grinder, as a result I got rid of it, one assumes this model has moved on and is quite decent, it looks good and if you have an industrial branch then this would be a good option, there are two versions a green one and a red one so a bit different but there is no dcc, let me know what you think.

Terrier 0-6-0t, a variety of the Terrier in the guise of the Weston Portishead and Clevedon, another useful small model but another without dcc ready ability so probably time to fix this. No idea if any good.

Peckett 0-4-0t, what looks to be a real beauty, comes as dcc ready and I would like to know how it runs as a 0-4-0 is usually a bit of a bother on insulfrog points so would like to know how it does, no real application but I like the look of this so am wondering how I can find an excuse to buy one, not cheap at around £80 but ultra highly rated so a likely 9/10 just a shame the two versions on offer are both in Peckett pale green.

RAILROAD RANGE
A3 Flying Scotsman, comes dcc fitted but is an older version decent looking model for what it is, cannot rate it as never had one of these.

A1 Tornado, I have a BR livery version and this is a nice model, almost too good for Railroad so at the price is a nice effort, comes dcc fitted so a good 7/10 in my view I do use it a fair bit on the railway.

A4 Mallard, no idea about these but have an older one but this gets no use these days as I have better ones so cannot rate.

Above Available as TTS or DCC ready

P2 Cock O' the North, what a mighty effort, I bought one and use it to pull the CMX quite a bit and also on fast fitted freights, I'd use it more it it was the later style body but for the money is a lot of loco another 7/10

Hall, Helmingham, useful model of a mixed traffic type loco, looks are OK but no idea if any good, has dcc ready ability - let me know what you think.

Black 5, The railroad black 5 is a poor thing, now dcc ready, the body sits badly on the chassis and it looks wrong dimensionally, I had one but it went and was please to see it go, I did file away at the chassis to get it to sit better but it took a lot of filing anyway best advice is to save up for the proper ones 4/10 being kind about it

B17, nothing to do with the excellent main range based on the older tender drive model, sure bound to be better than the black 5 maybe OK but cannot rate. again now dcc ready

School V class, another recycled old soldier but again dcc ready look Ok from a distance no idea if any good.

Midland rebuilt Compound, salvaged from the tender drive scrap heap, looks a poor thing, had original tender drive versions once but this does nothing for me although also dcc ready even if it runs well would not interest me at all, such requirements covered by a Bachmann which can be had at bargain prices.

D49 Hunt, another item salvaged from the tender drive scrap heap but looks quite decent, may even look at one of these as it looks as it should but cannot rate as no actual experience of one of these.

GWR County, another recycled and slightly upgraded as dcc ready looks quite well makes up the quartet of 4-4-0 locos and again I will never buy one so cannot rate.

GWR pannier half cab 2721 class, again been around a long time, nice kiddies loco and not dcc ready, no idea if any good.

LMS Jinty, another grouping era kids loco without dcc, again maybe OK but I have Bachmann jinties so that is enough.

Variety of 5 vaguely indiuutrial 0-4-0tanks locos without dcc and not really prototypical except the Caley drived Smokey Joe, enough said.

Most of the Railroad range turns up in the trainset range as does the long established and pretty rubbish J83 - yes the NBR is getting two locos in the Hornby range must be some Jocks about the Hornby home whilst Jinty comes in a SDJR format, as noted in section 1 the 72xx turmns up attached to a train set.

So that's it, a better spread than last year which is nice and progressive, they got to have product to sell and this year will help that a bit but discounting by retailers and of Bachmann rivals though will cut a bite out of the range which depends upon the express loco strategy, hope it works for them. We need to keep Hornby alive despite the apparent death wish from mission control in the past.

My view is that they need to work on getting everything dcc, improve models, do not double up on the same type e.g B17 in both ranges, improve some track elements, maintain the one stop shop effort and look to sharpen prices where they can, Hornby need a bit more variety in freight stock and a slightly better mix of locos for the hobbyist, I used to watch my 8 circuits going round and generally there were 4 Hornby and 4 Bachmann, now I note it is generally 2 Hornby and 6 Bachmann which is not good for Hornby.

PS I am available as a consultant when you need a dose of reality.

Yours

Kris.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
An interesting 'neverwasser' something I am always considering I have tried to work out a GCR 2-6-2 tender loco but the 2-6-2 needs a longer body than an equivalent 4-6-0, I suppose the other loco I always liked was the A2/1 based on the V2 but with the Thompson valve set up, only 4 of these but they were said to be amazingly free runnersanyway I have to get back to the OO layout soon as the OO9 is all but finished - yes - well possibly 'cos every time I say this I find more to do.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes this is from George Dows books on the `Great `Central, Vol 3 the other interesting drawings were for a USA inspired 2-10-2 which looked very large for sure and the other for a more obviously Robinson 2-10-2 this having 2 cylinders whilst the Baldwin had 57 sq ft firebox the Robbo version was also looked big but cylinders of 26 x 30 and tractive effort of 62,000 lbs just about, and boiler pressure of 200 lb/sq in.

To go along with this monster was a 0-10-2 tank a butch 0-8-4 version would have coped at Wath no doubt.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ah correction the drawing of the Gorton Mogul was reproduced in W A Tuplins book, 'Great Central Steam' i looked at this again, rather a 2-6-0 version of the D10 and clearly inspired by the GWR mogul with standard 26 foot grate and a slightly shorter boiler it would have been a great steamer with a ratio of about 50:1 (heating surface to grate area) instead of the big 4-6-0's more like 103 :1 which suggests at 180 lbs boiler pressure they never got warm enough. anyway it never came to pass

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thinking a bit more about your views 34c on the GCR really the obvious solution was the B6 or 8N in GCR notation, basically a large boiler O4 (aka O5) of which there were 3 built as 8N's, these locos were highly standardised with the O4/5 group of which there were very many and would have been easy for the sheds to operate and maintain the usual thing with the GCR was the high heating surface value to firebox ratio which was about 80:1 which is a bit weak but for a fast freight loco was about good enough whilst the Sir Sams etc came out over 100:1.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts