Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed that per the catalogue Hornby will be selling a eathered BR 8F with a lined tender. I'm sure the graphics artist has got the 8F mixed up with the lined tender from a Black 5.

Apart from the prices , any other howlers?

Russell

·
Registered
98 Posts
I love the new 2006 Hornby and will buy all the new models.

I do not know anything about modern computer images or printing so perhaps someone could tell me how it is done.

I have a Q1 so I scanned for the next one. What i couldn't figure out is how come all the locos point left but can show both sides?

Please do not be harsh, I still haven't done the rubics cube!

TVBG

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't got a copy of the Hornby catalogue to hand-so I can't check,but re the weathered 8F with the lined tender,if it's numbered as 48384 it's accurate!-there's a colour photo in the book 'BR Steam Surrender' by Roger Siviter showing the loco in this condition on the 28th March 1968...
Presumably it's own tender needed repair,so it acquired a Black 5 tender from a withdrawn loco,a lot of this sort of thing happened in the last days of steam,but although prototypical I can't see it having a very wide appeal.....

If you want a proper howler look at the description of the BR blue Cl.06 Diesel,-the description states that it's suitable for the period 1968-1973,but the photo shows it wearing a TOPS number on it's cabside..
Ho Hum!!

There's bound to be other cock-ups as well[there always are!] so I'll post more when I've had a proper trawl through the catalogue...

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE (DS239 @ 20 Jan 2006, 21:28)If you want a proper howler look at the description of the BR blue Cl.06 Diesel,-the description states that it's suitable for the period 1968-1973,but the photo shows it wearing a TOPS number on it's cabside.. Ho Hum!!

Your're absolutely right DS. I worked on these Locos in Dundee from 1979 to 1982. We had atleast 2 based at Dundee M.P.D. They were used for trip working to and from Dundee Docks. Class 08 wheelbase was too long for the extremely tight curves.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (DS239 @ 20 Jan 2006, 21:28)I haven't got a copy of the Hornby catalogue to hand-so I can't check,but re the weathered 8F with the lined tender,if it's numbered as 48384 it's accurate!-there's a colour photo in the book 'BR Steam Surrender' by Roger Siviter showing the loco in this condition on the 28th March 1968...
Presumably it's own tender needed repair,so it acquired a Black 5 tender from a withdrawn loco,a lot of this sort of thing happened in the last days of steam,but although prototypical I can't see it having a very wide appeal.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of this actually happened a bit earlier as well- 8Fs were seen with Lined green tenders (!) in the late 1950s when LMR Jubilees were given the Stanier tenders off 8Fs. Other such incidents no doubt occurred!

·
Registered
213 Posts
The 8F in the catalogue is actually 48739,but I presume Hornby have a photo of it running in this condition..

R2423 -the Hymek in BR blue,no D7067,period "late 1970's"according to Hornby,- but this loco was withdrawn in October 1971!

R2524 -the GWR railcar,no 29,period "1930's",say Hornby,who in the same description state "built 1941",which is correct...

There's bound to be more..now you would think,wouldn't you,with Hornby being the number one 'name' in UK model railways that they'd take the trouble and get these details right before going to press,these silly mistakes just make them look 'slapdash' and amateurish,hardly doing them any favours in the credibility department...

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There is one non-railway 'howler' in the Skaledale range on page 151 of the 2006 catalogue, in their new 'Canal Collection'. The canal boat, described as a "Butty" boat is actually a motor boat, judging from the long cabin at the rear which would have housed the boatman, his wife and some of the family and the engine powering the boat; also from the style of the tiller for steering at the rear of the boat. The "Butty" was an unpowered craft towed by the motor boat; it had a shorter cabin only for living in and the tiller was a completely different design. Now, Hornby, repeat after me.....

Other than this error, I have to say that the ready-made canal items certainly look very attractive, although I am uncertain how the joins between sections can be disguised.
John Webb

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE although I am uncertain how the joins between sections can be disguised.

My thoughts exactly - I was wondering whether I just use the lock section, the make the rest out of resin.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Interesting description of R2513 the lima class 156 as being in northwest regional railways livery err who? Regional railways went bye bye around the start of privatisation and First northwestern are now part of the massive Northern rail franchise just like wot it do say on the tin so to speak.

I've also noticed the free recommended price list has a few items missing including a price for City Of Wells.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re the price for 'City of Wells' - it's in the "Totally New Model - Steam Locomotives" section, bottom of the centre column on page 1, 5th line up.

To save you looking it up it's £105!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
763 Posts
I figured it would be about that price. The real thing is undergoing restoration at Haworth and the last time i saw it the air smoothed casing was being prepared for refitting. It really looked weird without it, all lumpy with huge rivets averywhere. Don't know what condition it is in now as the engin shed seemsto have been closed since the flood in August 2004 which incapacitated 25059. A pity really but it is the case at most preserved railways in these health and safety obsessed days. Probably cost too much for public liability cover.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Just come across a classic as highlighted on another forum.....
page 33 A4 Woodcock is going to be.....