Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I like the look of these tankers, pretty well detailed for the price (I see them heavily discounted at most shops) but the item that spoils this model most is the large bogie mounted tension lock coupler.

All my UK outline stock has been converted to KD but these wagons done have an NEM pocket, does anyone know it it would be easy to fit a body mounted KD box with a long shaft coupling onto this wagon?

Lew

·
Registered
762 Posts
It depends on your curve and point radius. If you have sweeping curves and long points you might get away with a body mounted KD. I found a body mounted KD I had put on a 210mm vehicle and its likely that would not work much under 30" curve. If body mounting is not possible then it needs to go onto the bogie. The bogie needs to be offered up to the kd height gauge with perhaps a #5 or whatever you have attached and then figure out whether the kd head needs to be dropped medium or raised and if the coupling needs to go above or below the coupling plate. it may also need to be shimmed with plasticard to get a workable mounting height. If it goes above you might have to remove part of the chassis moulding to get clearance. Basically its a question of fiddling and experimenting perhaps with a few different KD types There is no one size fits all answer.Have fun !
Andrew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take a trip to Totally Trains in Ross over the weekend and pick up a few samples, will report back with images next week.

Lew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts