Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I recently took my Hornby Flying Scotsman out of long term storage. After briefly running, it came to a shuddering stop, with the motor in the loco attempting to drag the seemingly dead L5136 tender. I've removed the loco and tender bodies to try and spot any wiring issues, but I can't see anything obvious. I understand the coupling between the two can be temperamental with these, but it seems to be OK, and manually manipulating it doesn't seem to have any effect. Any advice on this would be welcome!

·
In depth idiot
8,356 Posts
The combination of the pick up wipers on the tender wheelbacks acting like brakes and the very clumsy 'inside bearings' for the axles would be my suspicion, Give the tender alone a push along the track, if it has all the free rolling ability of a brick, there's your trouble.

I usually remove tender wiper pick ups completely, or secure them out of contact with the wheelbacks. This done, check how freely the axles turn, de-fluff if necessary and put in some PTFE powder lubricant to maintain rollability - it will never be brilliant - the real upgrade is complicated, replace running gear entirely with a new pinpoint bearing underframe...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - the first and third axles do appear to be stuck, but i thought this was just resistance from the motor. I'll try to lubricate these and see what happens. The set has been in storage for about ten years, so I suppose it's unsurprising!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts