Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been after a live steam set for a while but the price doesn't seem to have dropped. It is still about £500.

If I already have track, do I need to buy the set or can I just buy one of the other loco sets that cost between £200 - £300?

In other words, is there anything in the set that you don't get if you just buy the train and controller on its own.

Also, is it possible to buy the blue mallard on its own if you don't buy the set?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Try looking on eBay as live steam sets are a lot cheaper on there than in the shops.

If you don't want a set then you'll need the live steam controller which will cost around the £150 - £200 mark. The locos again range from £250 - £325

BUT when you add the cost together, its cheaper to get one of the sets and have the track as well.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have a Mallard Live Steam set that has been used only to 'run in the loco' - using the rolling road. Perhaps 6 hours of running, but it could do with some more.

Send me a PM with a reasonable offer and I'll consider it. I have the full set and the rolling road. If you would like to see any photos, just ask.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Several advertisers in February's 'Railway Modeller' are offering complete live steam sets at around the £400 mark. (Cheltenham Model Centre, The Signal Box (Rochester) and Stockton Modeller for example.)

Heve fun!
John Webb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are you saying that the loco's on their own don't include the controller?

If not then that is obviously why the set costs so much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you buy a loco, you just get the loco, a pair of gloves, some oil and distilled water. With the set you get a controller, transformer, large oval of track, power feed track, instrtuctions and water and oil - which works out cheaper, BTW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the last few days there have been complete new Mallard sets for £350 on ebay.

I bought one from the same seller about a year ago and it is excellent. I also bought one of the loco only sets for £180.

Good prices are to be had if you look around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are indeed some very good prices on ebay if you keep an eye out. So good, in fact, that I have been tempted and come closer than I should to buying one - despite the fact that I really shouldnt and couldnt justify it...

Just to say also that I wholeheartedly recommend thesignalbox - terrific service from them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts