Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Would like your opinions of the Hornby streamlined model of the Duchess of Hamilton (DCC ready version). I really like the look of this model but I am unsure as to how good or bad it really is.

Would be interested to hear how well it runs under DCC control and which decoders have been fitted.

Cheers Mike

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Mine runs happily on DC - I bought it mostly to be able to compare it with the prototype when it comes out of the workshops with streamlining, hopefully latter in 2009. It looks odd standing next to the unstreamlined one I bought several years ago!

But I cannot tell you about DCC running as I don't use that.

Regards,
John Webb

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
The Duchess / Princess Coronation have Hornby's standard arrangment of 5 pole skew wound 'black can' motor with a 25:1 ish reduction drive train, and run very sweetly on DC or DCC. I have an unstreamlined, a friend has the streamlined version, and in all mechanical respects the chassis are identical and run extremely well with Lenz gold and silver decoders in them. There is plenty of space in both bodies to add large lumps of lead, this being very necessary since as supplied both types are much too lightweight to pull well.

In overall appearance, neither is quite up to the standard of the best 'all-new' releases. The chassis had a slightly reduced diameter centre driving wheel and the bogie on a very loose swing arm: whether either of these points have been dealt with since the recent lamentable addition of the flangeless fixed trailing truck wheelset I don't know. The streamlined body is the better of the two in terms of detail and finish, the tender of both comes with the inaccurate valance under the footplating that afflicts all Hornby's 4,000 gallon Stanier tenders; this causes a slight deformation of the proportions of the tender frames and axleboxes.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Being a fan of the "Biguns" I have just about every variety of the later Hornby loco drive model. They all perform well, but always check the valve gear is right and all the crankpins are tight and in correct alignment before running as I have had problems with my City of Edinburgh shedding connecting rods!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts