Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I have just purchased a Hornby M7 30056 R2734,this is the 3rd one as the first 2 had problems,like one would not run after a few hrs use,the 2nd was very noisy,and had at least one pickup not working.
The one I have runs well,but will not pull the skin of a rice pudding,when pulling 2 hornby maunsell coaches,and a passenger brake van,it will not go up a very slight incline,the track in not dirty,has anyone else had problems with M7s,can the body be weighted to help it pull a bit better.

From
Morry Cook.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello there

i cant help as far as modifying the loco goes, but if you are buying it from a shop then give it a test before parting with your cash.
how steep are your gradients? reember its only a relativly small loco so with 3 coaches i would have thought 1 in 30 was an absoloute maximum.

i have had the body off one and its not for the faint hearted. getting it off ie easy but getting it back on again requires some patience.

Peter

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You might be able to increase the hauling power by replacing the weights in the side tanks with lead (Hornby, of course, cannot use lead due to the regulations). This would also put a little more weight where it is needed, over the driving wheels.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am building 1 in 40 to 1 in 45 gradients on my line. My M7 can only handle a couple of coaches up those. I think it is purely down to the lack of weight in the model. It's fine for me, as I only want it to run a couple of coaches.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (morrycook @ 21 Sep 2008, 20:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Everyone.
I have just purchased a Hornby M7 30056 R2734,this is the 3rd one as the first 2 had problems,like one would not run after a few hrs use,the 2nd was very noisy,and had at least one pickup not working.
The one I have runs well,but will not pull the skin of a rice pudding,when pulling 2 hornby maunsell coaches,and a passenger brake van,it will not go up a very slight incline,the track in not dirty,has anyone else had problems with M7s,can the body be weighted to help it pull a bit better.

From
Morry Cook.
I too have had problems with the M7,I went to my local fish tackle shop and bought a large lead weight and some small (tiny) lead weights .
The larger weight i cut a piece off and shapped it to the sides tank and the smaller i poured it into the upturned body filling any nook and crany i could see then mixed up PVA and water 50/50 poured this over the tiny lead shot gave it a few days to set then fitted the body back on ,the larger weight was glued into place with a touch of super glue .
Now it runs perfect and pulls 4 coaches easily .Hope this helps

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (robs on the job @ 22 Sep 2008, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too have had problems with the M7,I went to my local fish tackle shop and bought a large lead weight and some small (tiny) lead weights .
The larger weight i cut a piece off and shapped it to the sides tank and the smaller i poured it into the upturned body filling any nook and crany i could see then mixed up PVA and water 50/50 poured this over the tiny lead shot gave it a few days to set then fitted the body back on ,the larger weight was glued into place with a touch of super glue .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (robs on the job @ 22 Sep 2008, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too have had problems with the M7,I went to my local fish tackle shop and bought a large lead weight and some small (tiny) lead weights .

Hi Rob.
Thanks for the info,I was thinking along those lines,but being bought up on Tri-ang,and I am a bit wary of taking this modern stuff apart,and i have MND which makes my hands pretty useless,I will have get my wife to have ago,I am really impressed with the detail on the M7.

Regards
Morry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts