Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Mouthwatering!

At last Southern fans can stop complaining that they are left out! Bring on the B o Bs and WCs and Arthurs....

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I've been sitting on these images for a while. Hornby didn't want them released before, but as they are now on the Hornby site, enjoy these ones too. This does seem to be one of Hornby's finest locos. Fantastic details indeed sure to be popular with Southern Rail fans. Pity it's not a Front page story...

Features include:
- Coal rail variations
- Detailed cab interior
- Extensive brake detail
- Long and short frames
- Removeable coal moulding
- Sandboxes above and below frames
- Westinghouse pump with 'Push Pull' detail
- Maunsell, Urie, Drummond design variations

Models that will be available:
R 2506 BR 0-4-4 CLASS M7 WEATHERED
R 2505 BR 0-4-4 CLASS M7
R 2504 BR 0-4-4 CLASS M7
R 2503 SR 0-4-4T CLASS M7

RRP is £79.99. The latest news on release date is August.

Some details:

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 19 Jul 2006, 13:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>changing the subject ever so slightly, do you think those pictures are taken with a macro lens or are done with a telephoto from a distance?

Peter

The lighting is very good. Studio lights or multiple flash.

Very little distortion. I find that with my set-up the least amount of barrel distortion (at wide angle) and pincushion distortion (at the tele end of a zoom lens) is at about 80mm.

You can see the insides of the hoses, front and back, which indicates that the camera was quite close to the loco - probably about 50 to 90 cm.

I would hazard a guess that the photo is at around 80mm, macro mode and f-stop of over f/11 to maintain a nice depth of field. Nice and neat too, so you're looking at a digital camera over 6 mega pixels. There is a bit of Photoshopping too (shadow and background levels), so any distortion corrections could have been done on the computer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Absolutely stunning. Thanks for publishing the pictures Doug. I had just one on order because I wasn't sure from the original information whether they'd be long/short frame, Motor fitted or not. Now the picture becomes clearer. I'll have to add 30108 to my order - the weathering looks very subtle. I emailed Simon in January warning that 30031 if modelled as it appears it has been would have a very short "correct period" It was only converted to motor operation in Jan 1961 and withdrawn in 1963. I asked again today but was advised that the number won't be changed to another member of the class with a longer "correct period" - oh well 30051 is correct and I just need to change totems on 30108 to "early"

Does anyone know the latest advice on removing Hornby decals?

Waiting in eager anticipation

Norm

·
Registered
763 Posts
Typically hornby they've swopped one from those shown in the catalogue and substituted 30051 for 30479. Wonder what made them change it? Anyone know any major differences from the one advertised and the one they've replaced it with?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
to Hornby for the closeup shots. A big improvement on the Brit photos we got earlier in the year. It's a fabulous looking model. Let's hope it's as good in service as it looks.

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
Think I'll wait for a preserved one to come out. A very nice looking loco though all the same, especially the southern liveried one.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
One of their features is "Long and short frames". Someone in the PR department has got their wires crossed.

I like the separate coal rails on the Southern version. The rivets on the smokebox do not appear to be as pronounced as on the black versions.

David

·
Registered
67 Posts
In reply to spongebob. As far as I know number 30479 was never one of the planned models. It just happened to be the subject of the photo they used. The running numbers announced were 30031/30051/30108 and Southern 357

Curious that Hornby have produced all the BR variants with the push-pull pumps and piping - a model such as 30479 without them would have made a good contrast, as would a short frame BR black version. Still - there is always next year or even next production batch

Norm

·
Registered
763 Posts
Definitely says R2504 was going to be 30479. I suppose as with all things they are subject to change. Just looking through the ramsays guide shows how often minds were changed on things.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 19 Jul 2006, 12:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am looking forward to seeing what other things are done with the 4-4-0 chassis.

Are you looking at it back to front?
,-it's an 0-4-4T!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 20 Jul 2006, 05:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>donsent matter. just turn it round and its a 4-4-0. that means GWR outside framers and LMS 4-4-0's. just use your imagination a little. the point is that they have got the balance right so they will be able to do either.

Peter
How do we know we havent even seen the running quality yet remember the trouble with the class 31 and 50? and the Problem with the new Hornby Teaks

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
M7s were built in two different frame lengths but it amazes me that Hornby have decided to model both. I wonder how many different "Arthur" variations we are going to get?

0-4-4 versus 4-4-0 is not as easy - the M7 had quite a short coupled wheel base, not really enough firebox space for 4-4-0 configurations.

Doug, congratulations on getting all those detail shots - really impressive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts