Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Rails are advertising this as being in stock now. Anybody got one? if so, good, bad, indifferent?

·
Registered
213 Posts
No-one's got them,-yet!
Hornby have only just received stocks of 2 of the BR versions into Westwood,...so they're probably going to be despatched to the retailers this week.....should be interesting to see what they're like..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hattons are advertising them as well, and they state they only show items on the website they actually have in stock.

Early BR livery £ 60.00, late BR £ 64.00

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Hattons website have their own pictures of the 2 BR black version, so they're definitely out now! Looks very impressive...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Two BR versions [early and late crest,pristine finish] arrived today,-they look as good in reality as they did in the photos,
they run pretty well,-but initial thoughts are that they could do with a bit of 'running in' to improve the slow-speed performance..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without wishing to start a huge debate, I was just wondering if the chimney is OK. It looks a bit slim in the photos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was down at my LHS (Hythe Kent Models) yesterday morning and the M7s had arrived moments before I arrived. Had a peek and must say they looked very nice - but resisted the urge to buy - waiting to hear how easy it is to install a decoder - and, if that proves difficult, will wait for a decoder-equipped version to be released.

Got a phonecall today from my LHS to advise that the Bachmann decoder-installed Jinty had arrived - which I had pre-ordered to see how the Bachmann factory-equipped decoder performs. Would have preferred a decoder equipped M7 rather than a Jinty so maybe one day I'll have one of each........

Keith

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Dear Keith,
The booklet on Hornby's DCC systems given away with the current (October) 'Model Rail' mag has an article on fixing decoders in small OO locos. (See current thread in DCC section.) This may be relevant to your needs.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up my Hornby M7 yesterday - lovely model superbly detailed, and it runs well too! My only gripe is with the packaging; the loco's in its tray so tight that you run a serious risk of damaging the fine detail every time you take it out or put it back!
Unless you're a collector who can't bear the thought of damaging the packaging (in which case the loco will probably never leave its box anyway), the best option would be to take a scalpel to it and ease the fit a little.

·
Registered
201 Posts
According to another member at my club it is quite easy to chip. However you will need a chip of a similar size to the Lenz mini series (silver mini = approx £24.50)and it fits nicely.

It ran quite smoothly after 5 mins.

Plus the detailing is wonderful hornby have done the southern region modellers proud!!!

Alistair

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've ordered my first M7 today, the British Railways late weathered. I look forward to the SOUTHERN livery version. Does anyone know when it will be out

·
Registered
763 Posts
Obviously a popular loco as rails are out of stock of the first 2 releases and only have 1 weathered one left now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 16 Sep 2006, 23:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and only have 1 weathered one left now.

Errrr,-the weathered ones aren't out yet,-they're due towards the end of the month along with the Southern Railways version..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Okay,-my mistake,-got it wrong!,
,they arrived yesterday!,after I'd posted,-Thought they were due with the Southern ones!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am not a Southern fan but I have always liked the M7's since seeing them in the Hornby catalogue in the early 1970's.

So last week I bought the late crest version. The detail is incredible, but far too delicate. Before I took it out of the box I noticed the plastic whistle was hanging off and will soon depart from the body. Also one of the sand pipes which seems to be a very very fine plastic was nearly snapped and the break rigging appears twisted.

Would not things so delicate be better made from brass and wire, how many out there have already lost their whistles?

So mine is now going back to the model shop for replacement and I believe I am not the only one.

One thing that would have been nice to carry over from the old version would have been the opening smokebox, but never mind, the cab detail makes up for that.

Garry

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got one of each of the early and late crest unweathered M7s and was delighted with each. I was surprised however that the packaging was not the spilt type which we've been used to latterly. I very carefully prized the model free from the polystyrene and was relieved that nothing had come adrift.

It's a beautifully designed little model - the housing for the front coupling is very cleverly disguised - and they both run very sweetly indeed. I'm not really a modeller of the Southern region either, but I just had to have these and the detailed cab is a work of art!

Has anyone tested the haulage capacity yet? My layout is dismantled at the moment so I can't test that!

Cheers,

Ray

·
Registered
352 Posts
What a lovely little loco this M7 is, like some of yourselves, i'm not a southern fan, but this engine has a character of its own, and i just had to have one, unlike some others, mine popped out the box with no trouble at all, a brilliant piece of miniature engineering, and a credit to Horny.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well,-the Southern livery M7's are now with us,-and very tasty they look too,-the Maunsell lined olive livery is very nicely done

1 - 20 of 23 Posts