Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts

Heads up guys and gals!

Hornby mag #9 just dropped through letter box!

As good as ever, quick flick through, liked the DE-number, re-number and weather article!

Step by step article on renumbering and weathering a Heljan 'Western' hydraulic.

Seperate 16 page special ' Model road vehicle supplement'

The article on making the boilerhouse and chimney from Scalescenes(came with issue 2) actually produce real smoke was very interesting!!

Enjoy folks.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I look forward to the road vehicle supplement - I seem to acquire more than I can safely use.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Just picked mine up - looks pretty good but I will have to wait until later to peruse it in detail.

Regards

·
Registered
118 Posts
I continue to be astonished at the sheer quality of this magazine. It beats the other monthlies hands down. There really is something for everyone. A real quality magazine that seems to tick all the boxes (sorry about the jargon) I have yet to hear or read a criticism. I still take RM regularly but frankly there is no comparison.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Something for everyone? Does it have a section on second hand European or American N Gauge? I bought the first issue, noticed that there was absolutely nothing in it for me, so didn't buy any more.

·
Registered
982 Posts
No but if you are a transition era British railway modeller this magazine certainly does tick all the boxes!

Suprised by review of Bachmann 108 Power Twin . Didn't think it was out yet. Hopefully I haven't missed it!

Interestingly has also followed up last months Hornby announcements with more detail, while a certain other magazine did little more than rehash the Hornby press release and seemed not to ask any questions. Claims that tight deadines meant they couldn't do so are a little undermined by the fact that they failed to cover questions asked in the next edition.

Don't you want more from your model railway press than rehashed press releases? I think the Hornby Mag is definitely on the right lines

Russell

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Don't you want more from your model railway press than rehashed press releases?

Absolutely. Press releases from the big manufacturers nearly always end up on the Internet, so anyone on line will have read them already. Whilst the print magazines don't have quite the same immediacy, they do have time for a considered response and should have the contacts to get more information. So a good mag should be able to deliver something extra to entice us to give them our money rather than keep it and say "Know that already; yawn".

Another area where the magazines can score is with press releases from smaller less well known manufacturers. The Hornby Magazine news section always manages to fit in plenty of stuff I've not come across on line.

QUOTE Surprised by review of Bachmann 108 Power Twin . Didn't think it was out yet.
The Bachmann website is showing the Network Southeast version as being in stock with most of the rest showing Feb/Mar for the ETA. So they're probably already on the boat from China.

The website has also split the Locomotive section into steam and diesel, presumably because of the volume of items available.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 8 Feb 2008, 19:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Something for everyone? Does it have a section on second hand European or American N Gauge? I bought the first issue, noticed that there was absolutely nothing in it for me, so didn't buy any more.

Actually, the first issue had nothing in it directly for me, but I buy it every month because it's a good general read.

Although my main interests currently are SNCB/Benelux it does not stop me looking at other areas.

PS - to be truthful I read BRITHO's copy if he buys it first (which is most of the time).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know that the Black 5 Man will be along soon to see what we think of his latest magazine. My problem is finding it in WHSmith in Derby as they have again put it with the collectors magazines like 'Stamp Monthly' etc
and not with the rest of the model railway magazines

WHY

Mike

·
Registered
982 Posts
I thought this was a particularly good issue. The double page photo as the introduction to Leith Citadel is excellent. Also nice to see an alternative approach to writing up a layout in Hinton Parva where operation is given extensive coverage. Also agree with Anthony New in "Modelling the real railway"where he comments that modern exhibition layouts are "often not designed for operation" How many of them are basic roundy - roundy with in Scotland a constant diet of Turbostars,Voyagers and 66s?

I was at a model railway show in Scotland two weeks ago. There was a very large exhibition layout that had 6 circuits. They were having difficulty getting them all working. However essentially all that would have happened was that 6 trains would be constantly orbiting the layout. Yes interesting for a while but ultimately not sustaining enough. There was a small fiddle yard, but that was not large enough to provide sufficient interesting trains. Contrast this with layouts of some 30 years ago. I remember Ayr having a very large layout , roundy roundy but with high level and low level terminii feeding the circuit. Trains came into the terminus ,engine released,disposed of, new engine attached. Meanwhile the yard was being shunted. We do seem to have lost some of that interest in modern layouts.

Russell

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 9 Feb 2008, 08:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PS - to be truthful I read BRITHO's copy if he buys it first (which is most of the time).

Except when I leave it at home!

A good overall read I found the road vehicle supplement useful, and was pleasantly pleased to see populated cars and buses in it.

Hinton Parva, I think, gives something for many of us to aspire to, and Chris Nevards new project is certainly giving a few ideas I had never thought of in layout design.

I also found the article on production diesels very informative.

Keep up the good work guys.

Regards

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Bellamy @ 9 Feb 2008, 21:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know that the Black 5 Man will be along soon to see what we think of his latest magazine. My problem is finding it in WHSmith in Derby as they have again put it with the collectors magazines like 'Stamp Monthly' etc
and not with the rest of the model railway magazines

WHY

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for pointing this out. I will investigate and get it sorted.

The problem goes back to issue 4 when it went monthly. We bought a promotion at all W H Smith High Street shops and their circular sent to all their branch managers billed it as a 'hobby magazine'. I was in Cambridge the day after it came out and couldn't find it in WHS, so I asked, and was promptly taken to the same section that you describe, complete with dolls house and needlework magazines!

Of course most shop staff realise where it should be placed. But if anyone out there has spotted it in the wrong section, do please let me know!

Black 5 Man

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (black 5 man @ 12 Feb 2008, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Mike,

Thanks for pointing this out. I will investigate and get it sorted.

The problem goes back to issue 4 when it went monthly. We bought a promotion at all W H Smith High Street shops and their circular sent to all their branch managers billed it as a 'hobby magazine'. I was in Cambridge the day after it came out and couldn't find it in WHS, so I asked, and was promptly taken to the same section that you describe, complete with dolls house and needlework magazines!

Of course most shop staff realise where it should be placed. But if anyone out there has spotted it in the wrong section, do please let me know!

Black 5 Man

Many thanks - dolls, needlework and Hornby - we all learn a lot from this forum

Mike

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have to say considering it seemed it was going to be just a starter mag at first, it turned out to be something much better. I now buy it and Model Rail rather than Railway Modeller for British stuff.
The qualty of the layouts and photography is excellent and the layout planning articles are a very refreshing factor. I buy the Model Railroader annual planning magazine as it discusses all sorts of ideas and concepts and this is a start in that direction. 3D views of the plans are a nice touch and you can always grab parts of the plan as suitable inspiration. If they can continue to use this idea so that they cover a small layout and through to a more advanced and larger plan I can see it happily serving starters and people more interested in operating.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Having read BRITHO's copy over the weekend I have to say it continues to have great content & a good read.

It may just be me but I thought that this issue had lost a little of it's "starter/returner" content.

Talking to people over the weekend at Brighton Model World there seems to be a lot of "starter/returners" around - & they do like Hornby Mag as they find the others a little to much for "established" modellers.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
I have'nt seen a copy in the flesh yet and as I live in Dubai I can't just pop into WHS for a quick look. Also, as it is a Hornby Mag, and Hornby don't do N Gauge, I have been somewhat reluctant to take out a subscription.

I have, however, seen the various glowing reports of it on this forum but am still not sure 'what's in it for me' so to speak. Can anyone tell me if N Gauge is covered or not.

Expat.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
A quick "flick" through the March issue reveals the following 'N' gauge items:

1) Editorial comment from Mike Wild saying how good modern 'N' models are.

2) Mention of forthcoming 'N' gauge models from Bachmann

3) Two page review of the new Bachmann Type 3 diesel (class 37)

4) One and a half page review of the new Bachmann Jubilee.

There are no 'N' gauge layouts.

Quite a number of the other articles are of interest to all scales because they concern either historical detail of the railway - usually the 50s / 60s era or the practical side of building a model railway. This month is was wiring point motors and programming DCC consists.

David

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 1 Mar 2008, 14:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have'nt seen a copy in the flesh yet and as I live in Dubai I can't just pop into WHS for a quick look. Also, as it is a Hornby Mag, and Hornby don't do N Gauge, I have been somewhat reluctant to take out a subscription.

I have, however, seen the various glowing reports of it on this forum but am still not sure 'what's in it for me' so to speak. Can anyone tell me if N Gauge is covered or not.

Expat.

Hi Expat,

Hornby Mag simply uses the Hornby name, there's no connection with Hornby other than permission being granted by the model railway manufacturer for the use of the name. It's a bit like 'Hoover' being used to describe vacuum cleaner. Whilst the magazine is biased towards '00' gauge, N gauge does feature from time to time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts