Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who collect and operate Bachmann Class 66 locos its worthwhile mentioning that Hornby Magazine are offering a limited edition Bachmann Freightliner Class 66/6 Loco No 66618 produced exclusively by Bachmann for Ian Allan Publishing.

Each model includes a numbered certificate of authenticity and Shawplan etched stainless steel "Railways Illustrated Annual Photographic Awards" nameplates.

Limited to 504 examples the price is £84.95 including postage. The model has been numbered "1" which suggests there will be further Hornby Magazine limited edition models offered in future magazines.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
763 Posts
Trying to shift the last of the railways illustrated limited edition that they've been struggling to flog off themselves for 18 months since it was announced. Still they do pop up from time to time on ebay of anyone thinks that is too cheap

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Just a thought -

Magazine publishers sometimes sell models & related products direct to the public, (cutting out the retailer who also may sell the magazine).

How would the magazine publishers feel if the retailers sometimes commissioned their own magazines & sold them direct to the public via the newsagents ? Not going to happen of course, but just a viewpoint.

Personally, I don't see a problem - at the moment, however if magazines sell more & more items that means in turn less turnover for the retailers (who basically pay for the magazine to be produced through the advertising) which means the magazines could start to bite the hand that feeds them.

Very fine line required maybe ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
A couple of points come to mind with reference to the posts by spongebob and dbc50.

I have noticed that a number of the special offers in magazines have, in the past, run for months. One which comes to mind is Model Rails SNCF Wagon-lits baggage vans. Is it basically a means of shifting un wanted stock by the manufacturer?

I would also venture that if people don't support their local model shop it won't be there one day when they need it. You have been warned.

Dbc50 makes a valid point when he says that the magazines could start to bite the hand that feeds them.

I don't think it's very likely that any magazine is likely to put in a reader offer that I will rush to buy!!

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Well today I got really brave & went into the WHS at Westwood Cross (without any disguise at all) - a matter of 3/400 yards from what used to by the Hornby factory & guess what ? - no Hornby magazine & the manager said he had never heard of it. Basically, he said that WHS have a database of what is likely to sell where & probably the database did not reckon it would sell in the area !

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 12 Mar 2007, 07:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a thought -

Magazine publishers sometimes sell models & related products direct to the public, (cutting out the retailer who also may sell the magazine).

How would the magazine publishers feel if the retailers sometimes commissioned their own magazines & sold them direct to the public via the newsagents ? Not going to happen of course, but just a viewpoint.

Personally, I don't see a problem - at the moment, however if magazines sell more & more items that means in turn less turnover for the retailers (who basically pay for the magazine to be produced through the advertising) which means the magazines could start to bite the hand that feeds them.

Very fine line required maybe ?

It is an interesting point of view, but there aren't that many retailers who can justify a limited edition model when the minimum run is 1,000 units from Hornby and 504 from Bachmann.

The models are produced for a different audience, namely the collectors' market.

It is true that these class 66 models are the remainder of a Railways Illustrated limited edition as the loco carries the magazine's nameplates, which I don't think is an unreasonable thing to do. There are about 40 models left and they will not be reduced in price to protect those who already have them.

There are plans for a follow up. We had hoped to produce a Corus class 60, but this has been put on the back burner due to the minimum order required. Attention is now turning to something else to be released later in the year.

As for retailers producing magazines. It's a free world, if they have the time and the funds. But I think most will stick to doing what they know best - selling model railway equipment!

Black 5 Man

·
Registered
763 Posts
If the railways illustrated version doesn't take your fancy (and on the subject of shop limited editions) the Rails class 66's in freightliner and EWS are also still available from about the same time (if not earlier) in large numbers if their ebay and website pages are anything to go by. I can appreciate the tie in to the magazine for the railways illustrated one but there are a lot of other 66's out there in both liveries and they perhaps don't have enough "exclusivity" to justify the extra price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts