Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Issue 10 of Hornby Magazine is available this week-end.
  • A detailed look at the stunning transition Wellbridge layout by the Crawley MRC.
  • A round-up of Model Rail Scotland.
  • Some ideas on modelling the East Coast Mainline with some interesting track plans.
  • How-to article on level crossings.
  • DCC sound overview on a Class 25.
  • Harford Street layout - an East London layout set in the 40's and 50's.
  • Reviews: CDS Models 'Super D' G2a 0-8-0, Bachmann NRM Prototype Deltic, Brilliant Baseboards, New Skaledale buildings, Hornby Stanier tank '4MT', Skale Autos, books and other items.
  • Cwmfelinfach 7mm narrow gauge layout.
  • A look at branch line stations in the Railway Realism feature.
Included in the plastic wrapper of Hornby Magazine is the Heritage Railways 2008 Timetables. A very useful supplement for those people interested in visiting any one of the numerous preserved and heritage railways around the UK. Timetables, info and contact details of 81 Heritage railways are included.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Got my copy yesterday in the post. Excellent as usual. Good to see Wellbridge again. It featured in RM a year or two back. I see much of the rolling stock and vehicles have been upgraded. Still an excellent model.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Included in the plastic wrapper of Hornby Magazine is the Heritage Railways 2008 Timetables. A very useful supplement for those people interested in visiting any one of the numerous preserved and heritage railways around the UK. Timetables, info and contact details of 81 Heritage railways are included.

There's bound to be the odd complaint about this issue being in a bag, but you can't fix an A5 booklet into a 'perfect bound' magazine, and if you put it in loose, they get pinched!

Hopefully, readers will think it is worth it though.

Black 5 Man

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (black 5 man @ 14 Mar 2008, 09:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Included in the plastic wrapper of Hornby Magazine is the Heritage Railways 2008 Timetables. A very useful supplement for those people interested in visiting any one of the numerous preserved and heritage railways around the UK. Timetables, info and contact details of 81 Heritage railways are included.

There's bound to be the odd complaint about this issue being in a bag, but you can't fix an A5 booklet into a 'perfect bound' magazine, and if you put it in loose, they get pinched!

Hopefully, readers will think it is worth it though.

Black 5 Man
You can fit an A5 booklet in a perfect bound mag (I have done it when I worked in the print industry) but it costs a lot of money to do it so they would complain about that so you can't win. I Look forward to my wife bringing this one home when it hits the shelves in a few days.

Shaun

·
Registered
982 Posts
Another great edition of the magazine.Wellbridge and Hartford Street to Mile End Gate articles are excellent . You can study the picture on P56/P57 for ages , with new details everytime you look at it.Great depth of field to the photo.

I have never heard of a GWR Prairie in Poland, and given its the April edition of the magazine ,I have had to look twice- maybe this is one for Piermasters prototype for anything thread!

The mag still ticks all the boxes for me (even with 7mm NG layout- its still an interesting article!)

Looking forward to Wouldham Town appearing , as it was one of my favourites from Model Rail Scotland.

Russell

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I have never heard of a GWR Prairie in Poland, and given its the April edition of the magazine ,I have had to look twice- maybe this is one for Piermasters prototype for anything thread!

The "April" thing didn't cross my mind as I am sure that there was a thread on that visit on model rail forum shortly after it happened. I know pedro contributed to it and then there is a photo of the polish double decker stock which have cropped up in Pedro's work bench thread.

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
It's quite true - 5521 has been running in Poland for a while now. Reports and pictures have appeared in both "The Railway Magazine" and "Heritage Railways". In early February it hauled a regular Polish service train following receipt of a 'certificate of acceptance' which allows it to run anywhere in Poland.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Interesting article on the dates of colour change of the BR road fleet. Another MRF scoop?

Regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
The track work on Wellbridge shows up really well in that first photo.

Great coaling tower on Harford street.

Big
to Mike Wild for giving the go ahead for this publication.

David

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cracking edition again - it's the only magazine I buy regularly

I have a quick question on the track plan for Harford Street (page 60) - there are 2 places that say To x via loops, but I can't see where X is - are these just dummy lines?

Also, does Mile End (NLR) Shed join up with the rest of the layout?

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
675 Posts
Great pics, and thanks to Mike for allowing the site to use them.

Hornby magazine really is good. My wife, who's a journalist on a Scottish paper, despairs about the 1960s design layout on Railway Modeller whenever I buy it (which is very rarely).

But many of the model railways featured seem to lack dirt, litter & general detritus on roads, buildings, station platforms, and so on. Jim s-w has a great pic on this site from 2 September of 'p4new street work in progress', which shows great weathering, dirt & plants on an embankment retaining wall.

Weathering expensive models is another matter, though. Not sure I'd like to splosh stuff over a pristine £100 loco to make it look the part.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 16 Mar 2008, 21:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's quite true - 5521 has been running in Poland for a while now. Reports and pictures have appeared in both "The Railway Magazine" and "Heritage Railways". In early February it hauled a regular Polish service train following receipt of a 'certificate of acceptance' which allows it to run anywhere in Poland.

Regards,
John Webb

What chance a Polish locomotive being allowed to run in the UK ?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Excellent photos of the two layouts.

I have never seen Hartford Street to Mile End, but have seen the small NLR creation from the same builder. I was also able to chat to him at a show towards the end of last year, a very nice chap who was very knowledgeable.

Regards

1 - 20 of 50 Posts