Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Hornby Magazine - Issue #13 due out this coming week-end.

A brief resume of the contents.

In the editorial Mike Wild contemplates production runs and the number of models being produced by the main manufacturers as well as the latest trend to have limited commissioned production runs.

Layout: Bleakhouse Raod. The latest project from Tim Madocks. OO scale, C&L finescale set in the 1950s down in Somerset.

News: Hornby HST, Class 153 & Hornby engineering wagons.

Report on the 40th Bristol Model Railway Exhibition.

Article on Goods yards. Layout ideas and some good advice.

OMWB: Fighter Command. Modifying a Hornby 'West Country'.

Tips: Baseboards. Construction ideas for fixed and portable layouts.

History: BR 1967 - 1982 Part 3 of the interesting overview of British Railways.

Control: DC vs DCC. Yep, Ian Morton dares ask the question and gives arguments for each case.

Layout: East Lodge. Alan Dewey's EM scale layout set in 1960s East Anglia.

Review: Hornby Skaledale Gas Works.

Electrics: Live frogs.

History: Class 40 'Whistler'.

Review: O-gauge Lovelass A4 60025 Falcon.

Many more reviews. 20 pages in all throughout the magazine from N gauge to Gauge 1 as well as book scenic item reviews.

Project: 3 Buildings, 3 feet. Mike Wild continues his micro layout.

Layout: Dudley Road. Peter Harvey's OO scale modern layout.

Project: Detailing the 'Shark' van.

History: Gas Works.

Overall, a good edition with some nice articles to read and some good tips to check out. Released at a calm period of the modelling year, it certainly keeps you motivated. I'm looking forward to going over the magazine in more detail over the next week.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, thanks for that. I'd cut and paste from the last one without updating. I've updated the post now.

Issue 13 out on Friday the 13th. Good luck to them. Here in France we see Friday 13 as very lucky and we all go out and by Loto tickets

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Hi Doug,

It's issue #13 the July issue.

Mines just dropped through the door.

It seems to me that some articles and layouts get a bit more coverage than others.

Is the magazine short of NEW things to put in it?

Its about right, just take out another 12 month subscription, then this drops through the door, still ok, but seen and read some of the articles before.

Not overly impressed with this issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the magazine short of NEW things to put in it?

still ok, but seen and read some of the articles before.

Not overly impressed with this issue.
[/quote]

Wiggy,

An interesting point of view - I guess what we all like and dislike is personal and therefore very subjective. I actually thought this was a much better issue than the last one. I haven't seen any of the layouts before and the goods yard feature is definitely something different. I also welcome advice and ideas on baseboard construction, although this sort of thing is done regularly elsewhere. Not seen the 'Whistler' piece before either, so not sure what it is you are getting at, unless you are referring to the reviews, but as Doug says, there isn't a lot new around at the moment, although the news section makes up for that with lots of interesting projects planned.

Black 5 Man.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Sorry shoot me now!

I had opened this put it on the floor then picked up another rail mag that was next to it that the wife had bought me!
Got them all mixed up!

I'm sure all these tablets are having a strange effect on me!!

Yes it is very good, the photographs just get better!

I'm going to ask Chris Nevard if he can actually do 'reverse air brushing' to put things in to make the layouts look bad!
Every time I look at mine I feel depressed....or could that be these bloody Diazepam tablets?

Very interesting diplomatic review of DC vs DCC I thought

Cheers

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 11 Jun 2008, 16:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry shoot me now!

BANG!

Well it takes a big man to admit a mistake - mind you I couldn't help wondering if it was the other magazine we've been talking about recently.

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Control: DC vs DCC. Yep, Ian Morton dares ask the question and gives arguments for each case.

You have to be a brave man to tackle this subject. We had a guy have a go at the BRMA annual conference in Adelaide last year and he caused an uproar as he was very uninformed on the subject. I will be interested to read it.

Peter Harvey's diorama has been in the mag before hasn't it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I Hope the directional low evening/early morning type light has paid off with Bleakhouse Road and Dudley Road (not seen the mag yet). It's an attempt to push the boundaries a little, as well as showing off the wonderful textures on the layouts a little more than with the soft flat lighting so often seen in model pics.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think this issue is the best yet this year but those who know me on this site will probably guess why ...

At LAST some D&E layouts! East Lodge AND Dudley Road! Well done Ed! I must have missed Dudley Road at Warley 2007!

I liked the Goods Yard article too - don't think I've seen anything like that in any of the other mags. I hope you keep up those articles as I've found all of them useful (the layout idea/plan ones).

The Baseboard Construction article was informative for new modellers (I could have made use of it a few years ago) and I think it's important HM contiues with these type of 'basics' shows you how articles.

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
59 Posts
well am off to buy it this morn, am about to start building some baseboards so itll be of special intrest this month although i havent missed a copy since i started buying it in january as said above the photos are great

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 11 Jun 2008, 16:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry shoot me now!

I had opened this put it on the floor then picked up another rail mag that was next to it that the wife had bought me!
Got them all mixed up!

I'm sure all these tablets are having a strange effect on me!!

Yes it is very good, the photographs just get better!

Hi Wiggy,

That's a relief, as I was starting to worry that the mag had lost the plot. Especially after the criticism over the colour light feature in the previous issue - which I thought was a bit harsh, even though some of the comments were justified.

In a perfect world, every issue of the magazine would have something fresh and new, plus great layout features with superb photography. The trick is keeping everyone happy all of the time!

We welcome forum members' feedback, so everyone, please tell us if we are losing the plot. Keep us on our toes and if there is something that we are not doing, please let us have your suggestions.

I am desperate that the magazine doesn't get stale. Just because we are now entering the time of year when the hobby traditionally goes quiet, it is no reason to let standards drop, or reduce the number of pages in the magazine.

Hopefully we will demonstrate that Hornby Magazine isn't a flash in the pan, and that it is here for the long haul. We set out to do something different and I am anxious that we don't end up looking like the other magazines, as good as they are at doing their own thing!

Black 5 Man

Paul - Publisher HM

·
Registered
982 Posts
No chance of going stale Black Five Man. I thought this another good issue (can't actually think of one I was disappointed in). The photography in HM is of a very high standard, the double page spread on Dudley Road is just superb. I don't recall the topic of freight yards , and what should be in them being covered before, so thats a good article for me . Also its nice to see a magazine tackle the DCC v DC debate, I think again the first time that I've actually seen an article on it, rather than war break out on the letters page or a preechy editorial on it.

Keep up the good work

Russell

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree!

Don't worry Black 5 Man we still love it. Don't change the format as I think it's great as it is. The photography is superb and I must say I particularly like the graphics you use to demonstrate techniques and show layout and track plans.

If it continues as currently produced I will continue to subscribe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Exclusive to this forum, a couple of out takes not seen in the current issue.

Bleakhouse Road
It's 5:40 am on a summer's morning, as 44422 arrives with a rake of empty vans to be filled up with bagged peat from the narrow gauge transhipment shed behind Bleakhouse Road station. Tim Maddocks has achieved an amazing feel of space in a footprint of around 9ft x 22inches, really capturing the feel of the Somerset Levels. This loco, as many will know, still exists in preservation having avoided the cutter's torch. It's quite amazing just how many engines that worked over the former S&D line still survive to this day with 75027, 53808, 53809, 92220 'Evening Star' & 73082 Camelot for starters.

Pic copyright Chris Nevard/Hornby Magazine

Dudley Road
Illuminated by the setting sun, a typical mid to late 1980's line up on Peter Harvey's Dudley Road. Again, another model railway where the layout's owner has managed to create a big feel in a small space. All these engines have working lights that can be switched on and off using DCC. They worked well with the depot lighting. For the night time effect intro double page spread in the magazine, all studio lighting was turned off, a large dark sheet was suspended above and around the layout to block out the ambient light. The picture was then taken just using Peter's model depot lighting (LEDs), nothing else. I recall the exposure being 30 whole seconds!

Pic copyright Chris Nevard/Hornby Magazine

PS, for any clever webbers, you won't find any more pics of these super layouts on the web address embedded in the pics, you'll have to get the mag

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
As ever it's nice to see a couple of extra pics. Thanks Chris.

I have to say that overall it's a good read again this month. Interesting that the Dapol announcement about a new class 86 and catenary seems to have avoided notice.

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great issue. Very much liked the DC & DCC article. With my very limited experience on my Thomas Tank engine layout ( for grandson), when I run my 5 DCC engines they are so smooth and can go very slow. Much better than Thomas & Bill but that's probably not a fair comparison.
Looking forward to the next issue already!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts