Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Hornby Magazine - Issue #14 due out on July 11th.

Another edition arrived early this morning. A very slick looking cover promising lots of interesting model railway goodies inside. I have not had time to look though it as I'll do that later today.

Some of the contents:

A look at garden railways / Goods and how to move them / A free paper & card kit of a station building / Historical info on the Mallard / Layouts, Reviews and a competition.

I'll look though later and give a better summery of the contents.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I've had a quick flick through it.
Looking as good as ever.

It's nice to see that it is expanding and not just sticking to it's original format of OO-gauge.
The little compact N-gauge layout is nice, it just needs some Thomas & Friends locos on it.

I've not read it as I want to save it and read it when I'm in Hospital next Saturday...but I don't think it's going to happen!!

From what I've seen looks very good.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Well after all of the rave reviews the Horby Mag. has been getting on this forum I have finally succumbed and taken out a subscription. I also bought back issues 11, 12 & 13 and I await the arrival of issue 14 with baited breath in the hope that there is some N Gauge content.

Cheers,

Expat.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 10 Jul 2008, 14:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.....I await the arrival of issue 14 with baited breath in the hope that there is some N Gauge content.

There's a 2ft by 2ft N Gauge layout which is quite neat; owner only had a small flat and wanted something small. Also reviews of Bachmann 'N' coaches and other 'N' items have a page to themselves.

Regards,
John Webb

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Are we really up to issue 14 ?

It does not seem that long ago that we were lightheartly making comments like going into a newsagents that did not know you to buy it & so on !

A very refreshing magazine that listens to comments & suggestions, not clinging to the past like some.

·
Registered
135 Posts
'er indoors has just gone down to town to pick up a copy

The layout on the cover will be appearing later in the year (it's still not finished), it made a good backdrop for the cement train feature I hope!
The loco is an old detailed up Hornby one (started off an Evening Star) with the addition of handrails and a working loco drive chassis. I finished it, then within months out came Bachmann with their much better one

·
Registered
123 Posts
hi,got my copy yesterday and still had it beside me at bedtime,good value full days entertainment in one mag!!by the way mr nevard i dont think the bachy 9f looks as good as your photo,. its a pity they cant get the content to go weekly then i could finish other subs mags.ian allen are onto a winner here with script and photography.oh well ill read the cement article again i think and then the seaside.byyeee billy

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to say after last month's issue Number 14 was a disappointment.

Number 13 had a good balance of steam and D&E but this one returned to the steam bias which dominates the magazine.

HM seems to be aimed at new modellers, either youngsters or those like myself who have returned to the hobby since leaving it in our youth, and I would bet that the majority of these groups were brought up on D&E era railways and more likely to model such eras. The steam domination will alienate such modellers and HM may be losing potential customers.

I have subscribed to HM because I like the fresh approach and content but have to say that if the bias towards steam continues I will become an occasional buyer instead as I am with British Railway Modeller which also suffers from the same bias.

Sorry to moan but Mike did ask for suggestions and comments and mine is that we PLEASE have a balance between steam and D&E!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (DiesAL @ 11 Jul 2008, 21:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to moan but Mike did ask for suggestions and comments and mine is that we PLEASE have a balance between steam and D&E!!!!

Next month will make you very happy

Exclusive to the Hornby Mag Forum, for those that like gritty urban steamy scenes from the post war years, a couple of out takes of Fenchurch Cutting. Top modeller Roy Emery has created a big multi layered urban feel in a surprisingly small space.

Interrogating the embedded web address in the pics will not produce any more pics, you'll have to buy the mag

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bought a copy to read, during quiet periods, while I did a Saturday morning stint as steward at the Blandford Town Museum. Quite impressed, best model railway mag I've read for years. But it had it's down sides, now I've got to buy 2 of the new offerings from Bachmann( Ivatt 2mt mogul,and Fairburn 2-6-4T), and one from Hornby(Stanier 2-6-4T) - namely the 00 gauge locos of exLMS locos in BR late livery.
Fenchurch Cuttings is good, but I'd just make 2 changes 1) darker rail sides, and 2) more visible 'lead off' out of the signal box, plus point rodding. Ah memories of Shoeburyness in the last days of steam.
Paul M.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (nevardmedia @ 11 Jul 2008, 21:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Exclusive to the Hornby Mag Forum, for those that like gritty urban steamy scenes from the post war years, a couple of out takes of Fenchurch Cutting. Top modeller Roy Emery has created a big multi layered urban feel in a surprisingly small space.

Yes, a quite nice gritty urban atmosphere but there are two changes that I'd suggest that would make a huge improvement; firsty include some grimy diesel traction and secondly get rid of that lurid pink colour that the rails are painted in.

G.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having been a bit of a skeptic when this magazine was first launched, I feel I have been won over by the steady improvement since. I now rate this magazine ahead of several others on the newsstands, and I'm considering whether to subscribe.

What I like is the user friendliness of the publication - the looks, the feel and the content - and that it doesn't talk down to novices. Some other magazines seem too technical for my taste, but this one 'hits the sweet spot.'

Great stuff !

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Overall another good issue, although perhaps not the best.

I found the railway realism article interesting - but then again it was about the scenic side of things.

Only one very slight gripe, about Fenchurc cutting, the hook on the crane in one of the photos - aaagh! (actually I'm surprised didn't spot it)

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too enjoy reading Hornby Magazine finding it a much fresher publication than some of the other monthly magazines which are now getting long in the tooth. To be fair though this happens with all hobby magazines and none more so than photographic magazines where you can almsot set you watch by the editorial content. Spring and summer editions are always packed with how to shoot landscape tutoriols and the autumn and winter editions are full of studio, still life, and processing articles.

I liked the article and photos of Fenchurch Cutting - we need to see more multi level layouts in this country as I feel we are wasting a lot of space. The current Model Railway Journal features a superb split level layout and is well worth a look. Getting back to fenchurch cutting I have just one critiscm to add and this will hopefully be seen as a constructive critiscm. When using Peco points and point motors mounted underneath please please please cut of the lugs at the end of the tie bars intended for above baseboard mounted motors. The tie bars can be cut back to the rail side without affecting operation of the blades and are a 100% improvement.

D1056 Western Sultan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have just started reading issue 14. Since issue 1 it has been my favourite model rail magazine. However, from the editorial in issue 14 the intent to include other scales will mean it becomes another "run of the mill" model rail magazine which would be a shame, it can't be all things to all people.
Why not stick to its original intent?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts