Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally received my copy of HM No. 20 on Sunday and was intrigued by the little Scalescenes Model Kit included in this issue and, with plenty of time on my hands after the replacement hip operation, I thought I would give it a go.

The kit, as published is in 00 scale but, not to be put off by this, I set about scanning the pages in and doing some photo reduction to get it down to approx 1:150. I don't have any card of the correct scale thickness (1mm) so have had to make do with 1.5 mm thick.

First step was to glue the pages down onto the card and cut out the major structural elements.

A few hours work and I had the basic 'box' constructed.

The thing to remember is that although N Scale is approximately half of 00 Scale the size of the model in terms of volume is only 1/8th of 00 Scale. In other words it is damned small (approx 3cm x 1.5 cm on plan).

Anyway, a few hours later I had completed the little model and thought you might be interested.

I have never tried a Scalescenes Kit before but will certainly give serious consideration to having a go at some others, though next time I will actually purchase an N Scale kit and obtain some card of the correct thickness. It has passed the time away and the finished model, while it is a long way from being pefect, will certainly find a space on my layout.

Apologies for the photography. I haven't managed to get control of the depth of field on my new camera yet. It's a Pentax K200 Digital SLR for those who are interested.

Cheers for now and happy modelling

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Nice, Ive not even taken mine from the magazine yet!.
To get depth of field on your photos you'll need to put the camera on manual and play with the fstop settings till you get it right. As you will have to increase the exposure time to compensate may I suggest you use a tripod. or place the camera on a firm surface and use the delayed shutter.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve but, having owned SLRs for the past 30 years and been chairman of a camera club for a while, I am well aware of how to increase the depth of field. I just need to read the manual for my new camera to find out how to manually control the blighter.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Then RTFM! (no offence intended)

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts