Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called in at my local Borders this afternoon and found 2 dozen+ copies of the August/Sepember issue on the shelves.

This month's free giveaway is a plastic rerailing ramp, curiously marked "Digital" as well as Hornby. Does this refer to the state of a railway vehicle being either On or Off the track

Articles include two on SR steam (model and prototype), model railway related events at heritage railways, the start of a simple guide to model railway electrics, model trees available for layouts, level crossings and the start of a 'Clinic' for those questions you wish to ask.

The most interesting article (in my opinion) is Main Lines in Modest Spaces where Anthony New looks at possible trackplans which on their own or combined will fit in an average spare room.

John Webb

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Still waiting for mine!!

Why did I bother taking out a subscription?

Not got it yet!
I know there has been a postal strike, but the shops had to have them delivered so the mag was obviously ready at the start of the week!

They could of posted them earlier!

Not happy

Ian

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Got mine today, A Free Re railer on the front (Red) all silk screened Hornby digital " I nearly choked " I had to give it a good scrubbing with wire wool and pop it in the dish washer ! " what a relief it came out Bachmann green and I can't read what logo it had on it. ( Just For Gary )

Nice issue: Anthony New well known for his contributions to Pat Hammond's site produced some excellent layout designs aimed at GWR modellers although they could be simply adapted for anywhere. More please, it's a breath of fresh air compared with the Toddler and Trial by Treoch. May I say worthy of the great designs by C.J. Freezer. Please give us more !

This magazine is printed on real paper, not the stuff design to bio-degrade while your reading it. One comment please don't construct a total test layout and brag about locomotive pulling power after a good lunch down the pub-we won't believe you !. Yes I enjoy Model Rail despite my comments. BRM remains my favourite, but I've bought three copies of hornby so they must be doing something right.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE May I say worthy of the great designs by C.J. Freezer

It may surprise some of you as it surprised me that C.J.Freezer, who has been writing about model railways since the 1940's, had a letter published recently in a magazine! He set out very clearly and concisely why British OO originated and why British HO was dead in the water. Maybe he could contribute to Hornby Magazine?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I had my copy come this morning looks good not had chance to read it all, But no free gift with it so I dont know how you got your free gift? No mention of it in the mag ither.

Pete

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rerailer was stuck on a piece of card secured to the front of the magazine by the clear 'low tack' glue used by magazines for such items. I suspect that had it been sent out with the magazine it would have made the envelope exceed the slim standard class mail thickness. This might be an explanation?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 14 Jul 2007, 09:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It may surprise some of you as it surprised me that C.J.Freezer, who has been writing about model railways since the 1940's, had a letter published recently in a magazine! He set out very clearly and concisely why British OO originated and why British HO was dead in the water. Maybe he could contribute to Hornby Magazine?

Happy modelling
Gary

C.J. Freezer has frequently contributed letters in , usually, I think, BRM!

he usually writes to lay a ghost...a miscomprehension that has arisen simply because those others contributing are'nt old enough to know, or realise, that railway modelling as such goes back into the mists of time?

In another thread ( S.Kohler's Hornby interview??]...someone posted wondering why 4mm scale OO gauge ever got control?

I suspect they were writing from a non-uk viewpoint?

However, perhaps the letter from C.J. Freezer, quoted above, should have been spun back....?

Because OO gauge ranks with such eccentricities as driving on the left!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE The rerailer was stuck on a piece of card secured to the front of the magazine by the clear 'low tack' glue used by magazines for such items. I suspect that had it been sent out with the magazine it would have made the envelope exceed the slim standard class mail thickness. This might be an explanation?

Those new postal bands again!

First it hits card buildings and now it hits freebies on magazine covers.

That 25mm thing makes N gauge modelling the perfect scale if you are into mail order. Any gauge above this and you are snookered.

QUOTE However, perhaps the letter from C.J. Freezer, quoted above, should have been spun back....?

Because OO gauge ranks with such eccentricities as driving on the left!

C.J. Freezer would be the perfect contributer as he is definitely more Van Gogh than Picasso. As Mr Freezer puts it, the manufacturers had a choice of hawking models that would have looked more like TT scale items relative to their HO counterparts or hawking models that looked the same size as their HO counterparts. It was a no brainer for the manufacturers who quickly realised that given the choice British modellers would prefer big models to small models for the same price!

We have had discussions on this in the past. Is it time for the topic to resurface?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have emailed Ian Allen to complain. I do not care what the free gift is but after paying in advance i feel the gift should have been available to subscribers.

Hope the next issue does not have a wagon stuck on the front!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I took out a subscription before the first issue hit the shops in the UK & they get here in Australia very late - like Issue 3 has not got here yet & I was under the imprsssion that subscriptions got sent out before they went to the shops.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 16 Jul 2007, 11:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I took out a subscription before the first issue hit the shops in the UK & they get here in Australia very late - like Issue 3 has not got here yet & I was under the imprsssion that subscriptions got sent out before they went to the shops.
Ron, I just found issue two in the shops last week so I wasn't going to look for issue three for another month. I never ever seen issue one in the shops here.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Gary)It may surprise some of you as it surprised me that C.J.Freezer, who has been writing about model railways since the 1940's, had a letter published recently in a magazine! He set out very clearly and concisely why British OO originated and why British HO was dead in the water. Maybe he could contribute to Hornby Magazine?

Indeed. he is still an active member of the MRC and can usually be found there on thursday nights.

As for the rerailing ramp i wouldnt be too upset if you didnt get it. while i realise that beggers cant be choosers it would have been nice to have had one with the slot to acomodate kadees.

Peter

·
Registered
108 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 14 Jul 2007, 09:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I had my copy come this morning looks good not had chance to read it all, But no free gift with it so I dont know how you got your free gift? No mention of it in the mag ither.

Pete

All subscribers are to be sent one of the re-railers under separate cover.

The reason there wasn't one on subscription copies isn't anything to do with the good old Royal Mail, it is far simpler than that.

When we asked Hornby if they could organise a free gift to launch Hornby Magazine, they came up with the re-railer idea. It was going to be something like Skaledale road signs, but they were going to be too expensive and difficult to stick on the covers. We suggested 30,000 as that was how many magazines we planned on printing. In the event, they didn't arrive from China in time, so we went to plan c) which was to include the free Scalescenes kit.

The re-railers arrived in time for issue two, but there were two problems. The first was that due to the first issue selling out in most places, the print order shot up. The second problem was that the re-railers came in very loose and unattractive polythene bags which couldn't be stuck onto the cover.

Scalescenes bailed us out at the eleventh hour with a second bespoke kit.

Meanwhile I went to the printers to see if we could work out how to mount the re-railers on to the cover of Isuue 3. We decided to unbag them and print a carry card which could go onto the cover. There was some expense doing this as you can imagine, plus the time it takes to man handle 30,000 of the things.

However, one problem we have in magazines is predicting the print order, which comes in late from our distributor, Market Force - typically three or four days before we are ready to actually print it - which isn't a problem with established magazines as they are fairly consistent, but new magazines are a different matter! The signs were that the print order would be nearer to 30,000 so there were no concerns, but it came in higher again. We had already briefed the news trade that there would be some 'model railway accessories cover mounted' so had an obligation to go ahead. As we know all of our subscribers' addresses it made sense to post these out later when we could get hold of some more.

Bear in mind also how patient Hornby had been with us after kindly organising the promotional gift.

It doesn't matter whether it is worth 50p or £5, or whether it is useful to everybody or not, I agree that everyone should get one, and there is no way we would descriminate against our most loyal readers who have shown great faith by taking out a subscription. It may take another week or so, but we are actively trying get a further supply from Hornby's stockroom and will post them out as soon as we get them.

It is true that such gifts are designed to encourage new potential readers to pick the magazine up in the shops. Retailers and wholesalers are more likely to stock magazines that run promotions as it shows them that publishers are commited to helping them to sell magazines. But there is aways a conflict of interests, especially where promotions are exclusive to W H Smiths for example. I prefer to treat everyone the same and that way there are no arguements, so I can assure you I was really disappointed when I realised last week that there weren't enough to go round.

As for the post, the subscription copies arrived from the printer last Tuesday and were turned round straight away. Some copies may have got caught up in the postal strike, but they couldn't have gone out any earlier. They are sent by lorry on the same day that copies are delivered to the main trade distribution point, but on this occasion were overtaken due to postal strike action. I am looking at getting the next issue finished a day or two earlier to avoid this happeneing, but if we had closed earlier this time we would have missed out on the Bachmann Class 47 (Brush Type 4) review as it literally came in the day before we closed for press.

There won't be a gift with issue 4, but we do have some extra treats coming up later in the year.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support, which really is appreciated.

Paul
(Black 5 Man)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 13 Jul 2007, 22:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Got mine today, A Free Re railer on the front (Red) all silk screened Hornby digital " I nearly choked "

Ah yes but it has also got Hornby International stamped on the back.

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 15 Jul 2007, 20:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would'nt bother - it's nowhere near the quality of a German one (& in any case it's not NMRA complient) !
(TIC).

I understood that on completion of the new fiddle yard we were going to carry out the comparitive tests!!

But seriously folks once again it is a fine read with a good mix of articles and a nice review of the Faller roadway system at the back. Having said that I did raise one small point with dbc50 and that is that in the models of the Southern article the bus is in National Bus Co Red......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh much much later.

Regards

John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts