Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I ordered a copy of the yearbook from WH Smiths in early December in time for christmas, complete with the £5 off voucher which was included in the magazine. I rang Smiths again yesterday, only to be told it was going through a re-print from their suppliers! If this yearbook is going to be annually, then surely it would be a good idea to ensure that a decent amount of copies are printed to cope with the demand. Meanwhile, I have been told to ring them again in 2 weeks!!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Surely it's better to reprint than to have huge numbers remaindered.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 3 Feb 2009, 17:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Surely it's better to reprint than to have huge numbers remaindered.

Regards
Yes Id agree on this as I over ordered on my Calendars this year and have about 90 going spare.
Anyone want a free 2009 calander (british landscapes not trains sorry!)
PM me if you want one!
Steve

·
Railway_Cuttings
500 Posts
I bought mine from Amazon - arrived within 3 days - excellent value. In future years - why not include it in our subscriptions for an optional increase in payment.

Excellent hard cover book not just another magazine filled with bits and pieces that could not be included in the current magazines.

Nick Lamkin

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went to Merry Hell WHS on Saturday armed with my £5 off if you spend £15 or more on books so got it for £11.99 ! Also bought 'Lost Railways of Birmingham and The Black Country'. Excellent book especially as it has an article about Old Hill to the station that started it all for me, Blowers Green !

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (oldrocker @ 24 Feb 2009, 00:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I went to Merry Hell WHS on Saturday armed with my £5 off if you spend £15 or more on books so got it for £11.99 ! Also bought 'Lost Railways of Birmingham and The Black Country'. Excellent book especially as it has an article about Old Hill to the station that started it all for me, Blowers Green !

Very true - like it !

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was going to suggest you look at Amazon or Play, but have just checked. Play's quoted delivery is 6-8 weeks, but at least it's only £12.99. But Amazon only has them from Marketplace (i.e. people selling their goods through Amazon), at prices starting from £39.99!!! It's a good annual, but (don't take this the wrong way Mr Wild!), not quite worth £40!
It's a great annual mind, and worth the wait. I got mine from the wife for Xmas. Ok, I had to go and buy it myself from WHSmith, but at least she wrapped it for me!
A lesson for everyone though.....buy yearbook 2 in plenty of time this year!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your comments about the Yearbook. Unfortunately we had some problems with the stock levels that WH Smiths ordered, which meant that there weren't enough copies to meet demand. The Yearbook is published by Ian Allan Publishing's Books department, as opposed to the Magazines department which produces the magazine (although obviously I'm involved with both) and after the problems with the first Yearbook we are all pulling together to make sure that the second Yearbook doesn't come up against the same problems experienced this time round.

I'd like to offer my personal apologies to anyone who has had difficulty in obtaining the Yearbook and also thank you for your continued loyalty to Hornby Magazine.

Best regards,

Mike Wild (Ed).

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Hello,
Just got my copy at the Steam Museum in Swindon and they have plentiful supplies, are on the internet www.swindon.gov.uk/steam and I believe they do mail order for anyone having problems obtaining a copy.

Point of order regarding the publication - HOW MANY TIMES MUST IT BE SAID??????
Diesel Hydraulic locomotives DO NOT have traction motors
! On page 48 Class 35s and 42s are described as Bo-Bo s
while Western Class 52s are called Co-Co s
. Utterly rediculous!

What is so complicated about getting it RIGHT??????

Greg.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ian Allan bookshop in Birmingham had plenty in stock last Saturday - and buying issue 3 got you a free issue 2 which has got to be a bargain !

Of course you are in the shop then and might find more calls on your wallet, I know I usually do

List of shops: Ian Allan Shops

Phil

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Can't comment about the other shops, but I found Manchester to be ... disappointing. Especially when I later went to B'ham ! Very good range there
It's now on my list of "shops to visit when I go to B'ham"

Picked up several DVDs (including a pressie for Lynn) & was being tempted by other items when I decided I had to leave

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts