Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts

Hornby have published a five page PDF of their new releases for March / April. You can download it from here on the Hornby website

I rather fancy one of those signal boxes...

David

·
Registered
342 Posts
If i didn't know better i'd say that that signal box is modelled on Stamford box which is these days part of Robert Humms bookshop

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
It could well be. "A Pictorial Survey of London Midland Signalling" (D Allen and C J Woolstenholmes, OPC, 1996) has it in Plate 198. It is a Midland box and has the right number of sections etc. But the external walkway in front of the windows has been removed, by Robert Humm, I presume (they moved the box and rebuilt it, according to the photo caption.)
The only error on the Hornby model is the staircase coming straight from the door. It was standard practice to off-set the stairs from the door (at least on Midland boxes), I assume to stop a headlong fall down the stairs if the signaller should trip on the door threshold. It was also the practice to site the stairs so that the signaller came down facing approaching traffic. I have to say that the stairs seem a bit steep as well.

Now, can I cut up two models to make a 3-panel box like St. Albans South, I wonder? (As I'm helping to restore that!)

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 28 Mar 2008, 20:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now, can I cut up two models to make a 3-panel box like St. Albans South, I wonder? (As I'm helping to restore that!)

No, I can't! St Albans is two by three-window sections plus 1 by two windows, alas. So the Skaledale box is really too small. Ah well, looks like a home-made card or plastic job then.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The Stanier coaches are being delivered to retailers now. The Southern M7 has also just appeared as have C and D versions of the Maunsell coaches.

I note that the map shows "Blackmoor Vale".... here we go again!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 30 Mar 2008, 11:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I note that the map shows "Blackmoor Vale".... here we go again!

Not to mention Brocklebank (Line) Bridge......

Tee hee

Regards

·
Registered
92 Posts
that signal box looks like one we have down our model club...only ours is alot older...about 7 years at the most...im thinking about using the skalelighting as it could enhance our layout alot

·
Registered
894 Posts
Apologises if I'm 'dragging up an old thread' but I have only just noticed the new 4th radius curves. Could have done with some of those a few years back.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Mind you if the Southern could get Blackmore Vale spelled as "Blackmoor" to the point of incorrectly naming the loco.... which County did the GWR get wrong initially? Was it "County of Cheshire" (should have been Chester)?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts