Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks like a nice model, any more info on it?

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The motion area looks a bit sparse & I'm not too sure about the paint finish - that could be down to the pictures though.

Then again, if this is part of the Railroad range it will be a useful addition.

Some more information would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its very possibly the only spam can 1945 Merchant Navy models in existance right now (unless Hornby have a mock up at Margate) to scale length and with correct smoke deflectors, valancing, cab and tender. One of the often requested models in Hornby surveys.

I was up north at the weekend among LMS bods and nobody was interested at all in southern stuff (my interest) so I made an offer which was accepted.

It is a very nice Hornby conversion and it will get an outing at Warley MRC tonight complete with a rake of green SR coaches.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thinking about it this model is probably the Southern Railway fanatics equivalent of the Blue Pullman!

Often wanted but not viable due to short life and numerous body alterations.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Nov 2007, 14:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its very possibly the only spam can 1945 Merchant Navy models in existance right now (unless Hornby have a mock up at Margate) to scale length and with correct smoke deflectors, valancing, cab and tender. One of the often requested models in Hornby surveys.

I'm not 100% certain but those smoke deflectors don't look quite right for SR days. I will have to do some serious library hunting and check.

QUOTE (Gary @ 6 Nov 2007, 16:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just thinking about it this model is probably the Southern Railway fanatics equivalent of the Blue Pullman!
Often wanted but not viable due to short life and numerous body alterations.

You could just possibly be right there.

Regards

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quite a nice model, analysing the photo's it is a remodelled Hornby Battle of Britain, (the wheels and lack of cross guide and the too low sandbox fillers give it away. The body has been lengthened very skillfully and Brittania Trailing Truck substituted for the original. I'm not sure about the smoke deflectors, and the tender looks as so it could be a kit built item, certainly not a chopped about original BoB Tender from the Tri-ang model, it always had the wrong shape and profile.

All in all, a very nice model!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Hi Gary
I agree it is an attractive model .I'm always pleased to see modified or kit bashed locos especially when the end result looks good.
I agree with the others in that it certainly started off as a Hornby B of B .
It may be of interest to members who are a lot younger than I ,to learn that the Late Albert Goodall an expert on all things Bullied, produced many white metal castings to modify Hornby streaks and even the Hornby-Dublo rebuilt West Country to enable just about every variant to be modelled.I have a Dublo Barnstable renamed Budleigh Salterton which I have "breathed on" using Albert's castings. He also produced very finely detailed instructions especially on powering and super detailing the Airfix/Dapol Biggin Hill. I have some of these also , if only I had the time to get them finished!
Another thing he did but did not publicise too much was a set of instructions and parts to convert the Airfix kit into a Merchant Navy. This entailed removing all the detail from the spam can sides( rivets and all) and lengthening the sides by 4 mm if I remember correctly , also the boiler top . Then use his paper sides as overlays to replace all the detail . These were in fact photocopies of scale drawings with detail scribed through and rivets embosed with a pin.The reverse of this was then painted and stuck onto the sides. I still have a set which he was good enough to let me have,and these are already painted . Also in the set were the correct cab sides and replacement look-outs , many other parts like the electric lights ,smokebox front, deflecters and tender bits ,ladders etc.
Albert probably knew more about these locos than O.V.Bulleid himself ! He was always prepared to pass on this knowledge to any one . I have about a dozen sheets of photcopied pictures of detail mainly taken of condemned locos at Barry and hand written notes with instructions and suggestions to help make these mods.
Not many modellers are prepared to modify or kit bash these days ,neither do they have to with all the superbly detailed and expertly painted and finished models now available from Hornby and Bachmann, but never the less I hope someone will find this post of interest .

best regards Tony (10001)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 7 Nov 2007, 09:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It may be of interest to members who are a lot younger than I ,to learn that the Late Albert Goodall an expert on all things Bullied, produced many white metal castings to modify Hornby streaks and even the Hornby-Dublo rebuilt West Country to enable just about every variant to be modelled.

I met Albert a couple of times at exhibitions in the (I think) early eighties, he was always glad to give advice and as stated he was a fount of all knowledge on things Bulleid. I did in fact make a model of 21C170 as named using an Aifix kit and loads of his bits. I wish I knew what happened to it - could still be in my parents loft!

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I will look out for those conversion parts as I do have one or two Triang Bulleids that are worse for ware. Having removed the body from this example I can confirm that the body has been hand carved with the use of wood and thin balsa and has been combined with some of the parts from a Triang example and possibly even the conversion kits described above. The loco has an airbrished finish.

The loco chassis had a number of assembly issues. I have repositioned the cylinders so that the piston rods don't fall out, 3 of the axles had wheels that were not set properly, one of the drive wheels was incorrectly positioned causing tension in the coupling rod and preventing the motor from spinning properly, and the bolt holding the front bogie on has been replaced as it was catching the body fixing screw preventing the loco from sitting correctly on the track. I now have a functional chassis.

The big issue right now is that I have a short in the pick up arrangements. There is nothing obvious and it is the isolated pick up on one side rather than the live chassis pick up causing the issue. I am wondering if the drive wheelsets are not isolated properly as it seems a little odd that no matter which wheel I probe the motor spins. For the moment I have put this to bed and will come back to it. I will study the service sheet and compare this chassis with that of a another running example that I have to see if there is anything obvious.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS as I was putting things away I spotted that the isolating drive wheels are on opposite sides of the axle at either end so this may well be the issue. I will place all the isolated wheels on one side and all the live wheels on the other and see if this improves matters. Also spotted that one isolated wheel pickup goes to one side and the other isolated pickup goes to the other side. They should of course both be on the same side. I am now getting very excited as I believe that once reassembled I will have a running Merchant Navy!

This experience may be useful for others who have encountered similar issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts