Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I had a browse through the Hornby Model-Auctions site other day and there is one seller virtually monopolising it selling items on a buy it now basis at silly (high?) prices. There was very little actually up for auction. Hornby should abandon listing fees altogether and try and bring some life into the place that feels a bit like a ghost town.

From a sellers perspective it is slow to list items as the listing process is a bit of a pain and inflexible and it is hard to justify the fees that Hornby charge when this one aspect is a bit of a dinosaur. You are not going to get the trade sellers listing on Model-Auctions when they cannot link to their own websites or picture galleries. Competitors understand this.

And with a minimum of £5 this in itself prevents low value items being listed, which makes up over half of all sales on competitor sites I suspect and generates interest. Everybody likes bidding when an item is 99p!

Now I do respect what the "buy it now" seller is saying about his totally perfect collection for sale however he needs to drop his prices by a good 30% to draw interest. They are not Dublo items but inferior 25 year old examples of variants of models you can get today for less money and Mainline and Lima have a following but not to the extent that the seller believes.

I wonder if he is a member of Model Rail Forum?

What do others think?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
>What do others think?
I have a lot of "modern image" stuff from the late 70s that I don't intend to use again. It doesn't look like it's worth very much so putting it on a 2 or 3 pounds an item doesn't seem worthwhile. I might as well take it to my local model shop as part exchange or give it to someone I know whose kid wants to start playing trains.

David

·
Registered
763 Posts
I think it was a brave attempt to break into the ebay monopoly but has a lot of drawbacks. Public awareness of its existence being a biggie. I did look on a few times in the early days but there wasn't much of interest so I don't bother now.

Just had a look. Nah still nothing much of interest. Far too slow to browse with 10 items per page.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Like Spongebob, I had a look once and there was hardly anything their. Having looked at the level of discussion on the Hornby forum it seems that the bulk of people who use their forum and are likely to look at their auction site are beginners who have not branched out far beyond train set level.
The guy selling the overinflated articles has probably this are as he thinks they are naive enough to pay his prices.

As for Hornby I think they are kidding themselves if they are going to compete with Ebay yet not offer better selling conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts