Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
One or two of the retailers with links on this forum have already got the range priced up and on their websites.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'd like to congratulate Doug on a job well done - so much more comprehensive than leaked snippets of information with no illustrations.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
After all that detail about King Arthurs, am I the only one who thinks "Thank God for Swindon standardisation!"?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
"well you've still got the 2P & if you paint it blue & put a face on the smokebox ,do you know what it ends up looking like????"

A Somerset & Dorset loco?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
As far as I understand it, all the ex-Lima range will be re-engineered with 5 pole scew wound motors and more will be equipped with working lights. I think that Hornby have sensibly decided to phase out the Ringfields.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
The double tender "Scotsman" is a new live steamer (limited edition - 1000) and I like the warning in the catalogue, "... second tender does NOT carry water" !

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
There has been an awful lot of discussion in the railway press concerning the authenticity of "Flying Scotsman" - the NRM is currently overhauling the spare, A3, boiler which many regard as a retrograde step (4472 carries an A4 boiler at the moment) but fitted with this she'll be less of a hybrid. I can't understand why they are going to the huge expense of repairing the old one when for very little more they could have a new one made alongside "Tornado's" in Germany which would last 30 -50 years..... The NRM says it would be slated for using a "foreign" contractor as if Britain's railways never did... apart from Borsig, Dubs, Henschel, Lima, Baldwin - and those were just the steam manufacturers!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Mian line boiler certificates run for only 7 years and although extensions have been granted you can't bank on them! Main line running is getting more and more expensive so my advice is make the most of it while you can.....

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Just had a round robin from Hornby that states that the loco to be included with the Devon Belle pack will be No. 34030 "Watersmeet" and not "Yes Tor" - I wonder what made them decide to change the choice.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
If I remember rightly Watersmeet is the location where the two branches of the River Dart meet.

"Wingboards" eh? I rather like the term "Sideboards"!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Further news from Hornby - they are not going to produce the double tender live steam version of Flying Scotsman (at least not this year) and have withdrawn the model from the production schedule.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'll have the chance to quiz Simon Kohler at the Ontracks / Hornby Live Steam Day on Saturday - I'll pump him to see what they are proposing next! Shame about the twin tender Scotsman - I loved the warning the "the second tender does not carry water" as if a live steam injector (or even an axle pump) was likely in this range.

However, the over burden of LNER types needs addressing....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts