Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some useful D&E models especially the variations on Classes 08, 31 and 60 and with the former Lima models coming back to the market.

An opportunity has been missed with the Seacow not appearing in Transrail or Loadhaul, but lets hope for 2007!

It is good to see the M7 returning as I remember the Triang model which I believe had an opening smokebox door. Ahh! the memories...

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Having now had the chance to absorb the information on the Hornby website, and the interesting observations and comments on the new Hornby range by Pat Hammond, I have to say that Doug has done a splendid job and possibly provided us with the best presented coverage of the lot!

On behalf of all Model Rail Forum members and visitors I would like to say Well done Doug!

Happy modelling
Gary

PS Like Don above the 2006 range is my sort of thing so well pleased!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Big mistake not to fit DCC chips - I'd willingly pay a few extra ££ on top of the price and it would tempt people into the Hornby DCC control system as it emerges. As it is, I've already got a number of older and not-so-old "DCC readies" which are so detailed that I'm reluctant to risk taking apart to fit a chip.

I want DCC but I also want the new models too! Come on Hornby - give us the option (for a year?) and see how it affects sales and DCC sales....

(Oh - and sort out your website pronto!!!)

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its is clear that the list of new models is dominated by those designed by engineers of Southern Railway however we should not forget the withered arm and the South West of England.

GWR and Western Region modellers are one of the largest group of modellers and these new locomotives, certainly in BR form, may well appear on their layouts as GWR and Southern did share many lines on the rail network. So in terms of the wider picture its not just Southern Region modellers who will be looking at the new models with interest.

Or am I wrong?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Everyone! Congratulations on getting the new releases out on time and even having some pictures. I feel they have catered for most although with such a varied hobby as ours they can't cater for all segments equally every year. I can't wait until the actual catalogue is released. Does anyone know that date?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well done on the very comprehensive coverage.

Just some points:

If I understand it correctly the Pendolino will only be available with DCC chip (both train set and pack). What about those of us who want to run non DCC?

While not a Southern modeller I have to confess that a Rebuilt WC, M7 and perhaps even a King Arthur, will go down very well. Not exactly a great geographical coverage in new introductions, however!

Shame there's nothing for them to pull in the way of decent coaching stock (Pullmans excepted)

Someone in Hornby has a liking for Blue! Would have preferred to see more varieties of A3 in Late Crest boring green with various tenders!

Once more there is no boringly standard single chimneyed Castle Class , named after a Castle with Churchward tender and late BR emblem. I've been waiting for years for them to make one eg like the old Hornby Dublo Bristol and Cardiff Castles. Again Hornby seem to be obsessed with aircraft names for their Castles.

Great news on the maroon Gresleys . Hopefully they will be a bit shinier than the very dull Staniers.

Hopefully Edward has not spoiled the chances of future Hunts and Shires.

Skaledale looks terrific. Not into Canals . For me the Loco depot accessories look good, Coaling Stages etc.

Missed oportunities:

4th radius track
Replacing that horrible plastic disc thing they call a turntable. Especially now they have some decent skaledale accessories.

Do you know when the new catalogue is out? Last year it was very early in the New Year. Presumably the illustrations are taken from it.

Russell

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not much for me apart from the new Brit and maroon Gresleys, for which many thanks, Hornby. Quite why they've bothered with the Triang Lord of the Isles horrible toy-like thing I've no idea - must be a market somewhere ... on the same basis why not re-issue the Blue Pullman? The MR Express review seems to say "no, never" to that one!

I guess SR fans will feel downcast at the absence of some super detailed coaches to go with all their fine new (and existing) steam locos, especially when us MR and ER fans were well served in earlier years.

The re-issued Lima stuff was to be expected, and welcome, given the minimal re-work (and the relative pittance Hornby paid for the tooling) let's hope that the pricing is suitably on the low side.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Interesting additions all round.

Shame there is no express 4-4-0 eg Schools or Compound.

Hopefully the M7 and others will appear in versions and numbers that are currently preserved.

Good additions to Skaledale. But as far as canals go Hornby seemed to have modelled a motor boat (has a long rear cabin containing both accomodation and the engine) and not a 'Butty' boat as they have called it. (Short cabin only with accomodation - different style of tiller as well!)

Coaches - let us have some short suburban stock from Hornby - Bachmann seemed to have dropped most of their 57ft models.

Now to see the bank manager....

Best wishes to all for 2006

John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE One or two of the retailers with links on this forum have already got the range priced up and on their websites.

Having had a look at the prices and given the reworking of the former Lima items it would be difficult to argue that the pricing is anything but fair.

The DCC pricing however seems very reasonable indeed for what is on offer and it is definitely going to make me an early adaptor!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
74 Posts
What a great line up from Hornby, even though I am not a southern fan.

I am looking forward to buying the old Lima 101's, and 121's.
I bet those who paid 3 figure sums for these on Ebay are really enjoying their investment!! We should not laugh though......then again...

The DCC system looks really good too, glad I waited to see before choosing a system. It has the one thing I am after that no others I know of do and thats assigning a proper loco number and/or name to the chip.

I am saving up already.

Hornby, if you read this Well Done

And finally thanks to the site for bringing the images of the new stock.

Happy New Modelling Year to you all.

Garry

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ordered some Hornby track packs yesterday from ontracks.
The same items have gone up 5£ ( five pounds ) over night !!
I ordered 3 track packs, so that would have cost me 15 £ more had I ordered it today !!

Ontracks - WHAT ARE YOU DOING ??

How can you justify that ??

·
Registered
334 Posts
I hoped for a Blue Pullman - ah well. And it doesn't look as if they are going to use the old moulds for that.

Never mind it's only one train and I think Hornby have done brilliantly and it seems if you read Pat Hammond there might be more to come.

Lots of complaints about no Maunsell Coaches but what if they have communicated with Bachmann and they are going to issue them. It would make good business sense for Hornby to concentrate on other things. Just a thought because it did happen over the Grange.

21 - 40 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.