Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 80 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank you very much for the best Hornby 2006 presentation on the web!

This will be a very expensive year me thinks.
I am happy now that last year a sold all my older stuff and bought only new Hornby DCC ready locos instead - on the road to DCC now.....

The new models are amazing, there is just one minor wish - could Hornby please offer more late crest liveried locos in weathered finish please? A MN, BB And WC all weathered please. And one each of the rebuilt BB, WC and of course the Arthurs as most photos of steam later years show rather neglected locos. I really like Hornby factory weathering and prefer it to Bachmanns.

A clever business strategy as Hornby will need a new factory for all the SR coaches when they finally will add them to their range.....

I am glad that I cannot spend money on SR coaches this year as there are still the maroon Gresley and Stanier ones to buy.

As I have a lot of unbuilt Superquick kits the new Skaledale buildings are really disturbing lower quality and a smaller range would have eased my mind but I think I cannot longer withstand the delights of this brilliant range of buildings.

Thomas, trying to win the lottery...

·
Vendor
5 Posts
QUOTE (far-lands @ 1 Jan 2006, 14:32)I ordered some Hornby track packs yesterday from ontracks.
The same items have gone up 5£ ( five pounds ) over night !!
I ordered 3 track packs, so that would have cost me 15 £ more had I ordered it today !!

Ontracks - WHAT ARE YOU DOING ??

How can you justify that ??
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Morning All - just a paragraph as a quick intro before I reply - I help out at OnTracks (it's my wife who's the boss!), I'm mainly a GWR modeller - and I promise not to post commercially.

In answer re price changes overnight - we update the website with the 2006 range in one go - both prices and new items. There have been some big price increases from Hornby this year (I think roughly 5% to 15% depending on the item). I've rechecked and the trade price list (if correct) for the track packs has been marked up by the same amount as last year. So the price rise is only a change in the manufacturer's price not us taking a bigger margin. Sorry :-(

Oh and well done Doug & Gary - a great write up on the new ranges.
Tim

Tim
However if the draft trade list is wrong then we will reduce them

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (Jennings @ 1 Jan 2006, 22:22)Some good releases this year from Hornby, with my highlight being the 67's (BUT, why do they seem more expensive than the Lima ones at the moment?)

Also we get the Mk3 Sleepers as well, but again what about the Intercity Swallow livery and the FGWT livered ones? - Well OK maybe not intercity swallow as such but the FGWT is a must to release as they do the Mk2's all ready and there are several FGWT 57's out there dying for some sleepers to run behind them.

Shame about no new wagons but those ex-lima PDA / JCA ones are looking tempting from here.

Its good to see that Hornby are doing a Pendolino this year as well - I missed out on the Dapol one, but hopefully all going well should be able to make a full 8 coach rake up by christmas with those extra coaches that are being released as well. And finally 31452 ... YEAH!!! Been to Weymouth behind it countless times ... Now only if they could do 31601 in Pink with the Pink Mk2's as well ...
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello all
I am new to this forum as a member, although I've been reading messages as a guest for a while. I wanted to ask if anyone has noticed something VERY odd about the picture of Southern Railway King Arthur class number 736 "Excalibur" included in the Hornby new Steam Locos section. Could I ask the good folks who run this forum whether this picture came from Hornby themselves, or whether they supplied it? The picture depicts Excalibur sometime between 1923 and 1940 (at which time it was fitted with a double chimney and vertical deflectors), but if you look you'll see its featuring a Maunsell cab and I can't see any sign of steam pipes which are a differentiating factor between Urie and Maunsell 'Arthurs. It also appears to have a Maunsell boiler, but that could well be correct. No other Urie KA to my knowledge ever had a Maunsell cab, and reference books such as DL Bradley do not mention Excalibur being given one. On the other hand I don't have any pictures of that particular loco, so cannot say whether it did receive one. Is it possible that this picture has been "doctored" I am intrigued because on the answer to this question rests the possibility that Hornby will not release a Urie cabbed version of the King Arthur

Norm

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Norm, you could check out the railuk website at railuk.co.uk and look the KAs up on the steam loco section I have found this site very useful in the past but at the moment when I open the steam page the text is way oversized and I can't search the database but I don't know if it's the site or my computer.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Regarding the King Arthur Loco this link may help. The Southern E-Group are included in our links section. The Hornby model of "Sir Dinadan" (R154) produced 30 years ago that I have been running over the last day or two looks like the version in the Hornby picture although with a different tender :-

http://www.semg.org.uk/steam/n15class_1.html

Hopefully one day "Sir Gareth" will arrise!

"Sir Gareth" shown in the image in the link does have a different cab to "Excabilur"

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the answers Gary, Doug and 5696Arethusa. If you look at the cabs of the locos depicted on the SEMG website http://www.semg.org.uk/steam/n15class_1.html compare the cab fitted to No 765 on page 1 to that on 30748, 30452 and 30448 - all also on page 1. No 765 has the Maunsell design cab (also depicted well on the modern day and historical photos of 30777 on the other pages). The other three have the characteristic Drummond cab. What I found extemely odd about the photo of No 736 was that it does indeed look like the cab fitted to the old Sir Dinadan model, but that is the Maunsell cab that should not have been fitted to that particular engine. I can only conclude that either that one particular loco was fitted with a Maunsell cab - perhaps as a result of an accident, or else the photo actually depicts a Maunsell series loco and has been changed to depict the actual locomotive that Hornby plan to produce. Either way its probably of little importance since one of the other planned models - No 30453 "King Arthur" should also carry this design cab - I just happened to notice the discrepancy as I had been re-reading my copy of "Locos of the LSWR - the Urie and Maunsell classes" King Arthurs are tricky beasts. Two designers, two different cab styles, slight differences in the boilers from each designer, a few fitted with large chimneys similar to those fitted to half of the Schools class, and three types of tender! It would appear from the actual prototypes that Hornby have chosen that they plan to cover all the variants except perhaps the double chimney type which Excalibur would correctly be fitted with if modelled in post 1940 condition

Norm

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have now researched every piccy I can find and every book I have and the Rebuilt Light Pacifics definitely carried the late crest. I have e-mailed Hornby to polint this out but have yet to receive a reply

Dave in the red by 2007

·
Registered
213 Posts
According to SeMG (that's how we SeMGers write it), Hornby have been contacted, and I believe Simon Kohler wrote back to say that yes, they would be corecting the WCs/BBs.

Now, how about a Cl. 318-322/456/150/150 track recorder? That's hundreds of units, and they needn't be absolutely detailed- if Hornby look at issue two of Modern Railway Modelling, or the Bratchell website (www.bratchellmodels.com), they'll see that flush glazing, a superb paint finish, and a few class specific details (e.g. jumper cables on 456, no yaw dampers on 150/456 bogies (Networker sideframes could be used- that's what MRM used?)) can make what is regarded as possibly one of the easiest bunches of EMUs to produce!

Sorry, but it needs to be said- think of all those mail order train sets Hornby could make using these (NW starter- £60, including cl. 150, or South London twin, containing EWS 09, two MHA wagons, and 456024 in Connex SC livery... mmm... nice!)!

Regards,

RM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry, but looks like lots of missed opportunities at Hornby.
There is not really anything new - all the prototypes have been seen in model form before - OK some were not that good - but why oh why keep rolling out tha same old things again and again.
How about a new 0-6-0 goods and a classic British 4-4-0.
I guess I'm a bit disappointed!
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE There is not really anything new - all the prototypes have been seen in model form before

The same arguement could be applied to the Blue Pullman and yet that is often requested!

Polls carried out by a number of publications have placed a number of the new subjects at the top of wish lists.

You can't blame a company for developing models that people seem to want!

The desire to have something that better represents the prototype than former models appears to be strong among hobbyists and collectors.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
32 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 4 Jan 2006, 14:29)"The same arguement could be applied to the Blue Pullman and yet that is often requested!"

Hi Gary.
I agree, but the original Triang Blue Pullman set was not that accurate and would probably cost too much to re-tool to today's (much higher) standards, which is why you won't see it re-released as the sales might not justify the expense.

I wonder how much of the original King Arthur (and M7) will be used on the new releases?

It is nice to see some Southern locos though....

Cheers.
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I wonder how much of the original King Arthur (and M7) will be used on the new releases?

If you had the original models you would know what the answer to the question would be!

What I am really curious about is that Hornby have this habbit of introducing new working features. The old M7 had an opening boiler door which showed some inner workings and a light in the cab firebox to represent the glow of a fire.

Now I wonder what surprise (if any) Hornby have up their sleeve in connection with the new models?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just remember that Bachmann are still yet to announce their plans so some peoples 'wanted models' might be in there.

There are still some 'gaps' in the Hornby range i feel this year - Mainly that FGWT sleeper. Perhaps they are saving that for 2007 along with an Intercity Swallow variant and some mk2's as well.

And one things Hornby, PLEASE can you re-do the base for the 37? The step on the bogie is not aligned with the cab door, and is basically the class 47 base.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Apparently a certain gent from Hornby popped in today and has taken onboard your comments.

Please keep them coming.

The Hornby 2006 catalogue will be out shortly and Model Rail Forum will be giving this full coverage. Its going to be the biggest Hornby catalogue ever!

Happy modelling
Gary

61 - 80 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.