Model Railway Forum banner
81 - 100 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have to admit to wondering how many of the old king arthurs hornby managed to sell in the somewhat limited time it was made (3 years) and why only 1 model was made? or the old M7 which was only made in a handful of varieties over 20 odd years.
People have obviously requested them in sufficient numbers to warrant taking the risk on them. After all they have done a Q1 which is very limited in livery options, prototypes and is also very area specific.
They were obviously paying attention when i said could they please do City of Wells (which is nice).
Now if the guys at Bachmann are reading can I have 25059 and 20031 as well please.

·
Vendor
5 Posts
For me I think the Skaledale extensions are interesting. The buildings are good, very popular and brilliant time savers. Although not N scale modeller the Lyddle End ones look really cute - I seem to remember the designers are connected to the Lilliput Lane models in some way (anyone confirm?)

Now I suspect the canal's might be popular but the road sections less so - like the platforms. The gaps in a plaster item are more noticeable than a more precision manufacturing process such as plastic.

What's really tempting are all those lovely road signs etc, especially the pre 1960's. Unless I am wrong that's a huge gap filled on one sweep. Now if Simon is reading, how about a really good range of colour lights - always in demand but made by a couple of craftsmen firms and not always well distributed in the trade.

If you want to see what a real modern signal could look like - visit this section of the Marklin website (apologies if I am not allowed to paste links)

http://www.maerklin.com/webtraining

Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does Hornby have a schedule for when they are going to release this years new products. Any idea on which ones will come first? For the locos my thought is the ones that are completely retooled will be issued last.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First of all, a huge congratulations to Hornby for such a superb new range, and ever growing list of quality models.

The thing that worries me is, are they going to lapse in to unresearched liveries ? My particular concern is that of the new rebuilt WC/BB model (at last, thanks Hornby for listening !!) - some are being produced in "early BR" ?? According to my records (and my memory) almost all the rebuilts would fit Hornby's "later" livery - that is to say ahving the speedo and AWS equipment fitted, and the new crest on the tender.

PLEASE Hornby don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Research your liveries, and ensure that they are correct ?

However, thanks again, Hornby, for listening to your customer's comments (fingers crossed you listen to this, too *LOL*)

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Noting Tim's comments about the Skaledale road system I suspect that there are many modellers out there who simply like playing around with scenery and don't wish to fix things permanently. They will have a blank canvas on which to paint their model railway and once the painting is finished and they have had their fun then it all gets cleared away and a fresh blank canvas is created.

Skaledale is an ideal range for this class of modeller and the road system will have an appeal due to its modular structure and the ability to reuse the items over and over again. Once purchased it is for life.

One omission I have noted though is the lack of a level crossing. It may not be possible to do something resin based but surely something plastic based that has a similar look and feel to the Skaledale road system could be produced?

Modellers who build roads do like their level crossings and it could well help support sales of the road system.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don
I would agree with your comments concening the light pacifics.The light pacifics which were rebuilt (which of course did not include all members of the West Country and Battle of Britain classes) were rebuilt between the summer of 1957 and summer 1961.As you are no doubt aware the late British Railways totem was introduced in 1956,and therefore it would be unlikely that any rebuilt West Country or Battle of Britain light pacifics ran with tenders carrying the early British Railways totem,and if so would surely have been for a limited period of time.While it of course cannot be discounted I am unable to find any photographic evidence in my collection of a rebuilt LP running with an early totem.The photographs used in the Hornby publicity of 34003 Plymouth and 34062 17 Squadron are totally indistinct and obscured respectively.
However I assume Hornby have 'done their homework' and bow to their superior knowledge !.
What I would take issue with is the fact that 3 out of 4 of the light pacifics that Hornby are introducing this year will be carrying the early totem,surely considering the aforementioned dates the balance should be reversed ?.Just a thought........
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hello Orient Line. Welcome to the board.

Hornby have been in touch with Pat Hammond and have advised that following comment received all rebuilt Bulleid light pacifics released this year will have the late totem. It does seem that Hornby do reflect on feedback received from customers and make adjustments to their proposals if deemed necessary.

I guess this was deemed necessary!

Hope this helps.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am wondering what's the point of bring the 'Thomas Range' trackmat as a 'new' trackmat? If they want a new trackmat why didn't Hornby bring one out for Scaledale buildings and accesaries?

Lee

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've noticed a couple of the ebay sharks cashing in on the short supply of hornby class 60's with buy it now prices of £100. Also seen a great western *** packet liveried mk3 coach with a buy it now price of £300, mental innit? Perhaps something else for hornby to consider for the future that and GNER hst's

·
Registered
76 Posts
I thought it would have been nice to see the return of the 4-4-0's to the range in super detail remotored form ,you know ,the Schools, D49, 4P & the GWR one (sorry lads forgot the name) but it appears that the D49 has become Edward ????? come on, everyone knows the 2P would have made a better Edward ,or is it just me?. So to those Hornby employees who read these forum things, if the 4-4-0's are on their way in the next couple of years then that's splendid. If not, can I suggest a GNR/LNER C1 Atlantic instead, & a Reid one for the Southerners & a GWR one too,with utmost respect to the company's bottom line of course, LMS.......well you've still got the 2P & if you paint it blue & put a face on the smokebox ,do you know what it ends up looking like????

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I thought it would have been nice to see the return of the 4-4-0's to the range in super detail remotored form ,you know ,the Schools, D49, 4P & the GWR one

I have a sneeky feeling that Hornby may have plans for the chassis of the new M7.

Turn it around and with minor modifications what have you got?

In February after the London Toy Fair and the release of the Hornby 2006 catalogue and the Bachmann 2006 catalogue Model Rail Forum will start a new "Wish List" thread. The dust needs to settle first on the new range or else we might start requesting things that Bachmann are going to offer!

Happy modelling
Gary

81 - 100 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.