Model Railway Forum banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 8 Jan 2006, 10:45)I have a sneeky feeling that Hornby may have plans for the chassis of the new M7.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've hardly made use of the 0-6-0 chassis they developed for the Q1 thus far have they.

·
Vendor
5 Posts
Morning All,

Just read the last few days postings.
The 'new' trakmat on the list is not actually new - it was in last years range. I suspect it's one of a small number of errors that always appear in the early lists from a supplier. I've noticed in the past the list of new wagons can vary depending who's site you read - and no - even the Hornby site can have the wrong info when another site has it right!
For instance there is a new Transformer this year to power the train set controller - same code for both Hornby and Scalextric so it must be identical - yet it's a different price on the Hornby and Scalextric price lists.

There is also an un-catalogued Promotional offer just been announced - buy any of the 2005 train/Scalextric sets and the retailer can offer the purchaser a specific reduced price accessory - track packs etc.

Dates - I believe DCC is tabled for September release.

Marklin Signals - they are wonderful - too expensive for my pocket but I saw a working demo in Germany last year and it was wonderful seeing the lights change - they seemed to work like real lights not LEDs and have a momentary 'fade' as they change from red to green. They also had no wires above ground - the frame carried both feed and return and each I think was DCC equipped (it certainly had a chip in the base).

Carry on Modelling
Tim

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 8 Jan 2006, 21:52)They've hardly made use of the 0-6-0 chassis they developed for the Q1 thus far have they.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well,even with different wheels,with the motor mounted quite high up in the firebox area-I don't think there are any other prototypes that this chassis would fit!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I must appologize for an error in my last posting. Any young southern enthusiasts out there wondering what one of their Reid atlantics might look like will be starting to wonder where to find a picture of one..., well you may find it a little difficult as Mr Reid's Atlatics resided on the North British so I'll correct myself now, Mr Marsh was the chap I was meaning to say, sorry
, still, either would make a nice model dont you think ?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I suppose there aren't too many chassis which lend theirselves to being used on more than one loco type if you want it to be truly accurate. I suppose i should have commented that after releasing the Q1 hornby failed to follow up with other more common or widespread 0-6-0 prototypes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (LMS 10456 @ 11 Jan 2006, 12:42)Well they have a standard LMS/Midland 0-6-0 chassis on their 3F 0-6-0T which they could make a lot of use of (eg MR 1/2/3F, LMS Stanier Mogul)
Its a shame they don't...
Pete
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the trouble is that the Hornby 0-6-0T chassis spacing is slightly too short for the common 8'+8'6" loco wheelbase,scaling out at 7'9"+8'3",also with the way that the drive is arranged you wouldn't get any daylight under the boiler....

And we don't want to regress to the days of 'boiler skirts',do we?..

·
Registered
32 Posts
"But the trouble is that the Hornby 0-6-0T chassis spacing is slightly too short for the common 8'+8'6" loco wheelbase,scaling out at 7'9"+8'3" "

Well thats typical isnt it!

Of course we don't want the old boiler skirt things and in thses enlightened days of miniturization you can hide the motor between the frames of smaller/older prototypes.
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello evryone. i am back of christmas break now so i thought i should get back to posting.

i think this years hornby adjenda is a bit of a mixed bag. mainly because we dont have enough information on certain items.

the class 67 is a welcome return but i hope they dont go for a ringfeild motor wtih it. that would actually be worse than what we had before. the ringfeild motors were good in their day but buy todays standards they are junk. even a central motor only driving a single bogie throught the old mechanism would be far better than a ringfeild.
the rest of the diesels dont apeal to me.

the britannia and the king arthur. great stuff. i must get saving.

pendolino. i look forward to this but i am expecting to be dissapointed. they say it will be the best yet. the bodychells of the dapol are pretty good it was just the mechanism that was rubbish. hornby state that the new model will be aimed at the trainset market. i think they are going to put a ringfeild in that too and the coaches could be 2 inches too short. it it turns out well then great but am not getting my hopes up.

TGS and sleeper, great. some spare parts at last. i may even have a go at a calidonian sleeper. i am getting quite good with my airbrush.

merchant navy, not really my thing. but i could be tempted.

i often criticise hornby about having a brain fart with their assets. i am afraid i shall be continuing this trend. where are the A4's? i was looking forward to getting a grey one. i wanted to get one last year but i didnt like 2 of the liveries and i already have 4 mallards! and the 2 rail double tender scotsman(does anyone know weather it is a new moulding for the double tender or if it is the old one on a new chassis?)

i look forward with great interest at what they will be announcing for the international range at the various toyfairs.

and of course the bachmann releases. although i am not holding my breath there either. i would like them to do anothe big DMU or EMU like they did with the voyager but i fear that will not happen. bachmann have said they would never had done the voyager if it were not for virgins involvement. a meridian and a pioneer would be nice. (i thought they had actually announced that one but it turned out that they had only hinted at it when they plastered all over the magazines that they had got permission to produce it. were we misled by the articles or did we mislead ourselves?)

peter

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
As far as I understand it, all the ex-Lima range will be re-engineered with 5 pole scew wound motors and more will be equipped with working lights. I think that Hornby have sensibly decided to phase out the Ringfields.

·
Registered
42 Posts
....except for the Lima DMU's which will have the same specs as the locos but without lights as yet.....as reported on page 35 of the February issue of "British Rail Modelling".....another 3 models crossed of my "buy" list.........

Keith

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE where are the A4's? i was looking forward to getting a grey one. i wanted to get one last year but i didnt like 2 of the liveries and i already have 4 mallards! and the 2 rail double tender scotsman(does anyone know weather it is a new moulding for the double tender or if it is the old one on a new chassis?)
The only way anyone is going to get a grey A4 is through special edition i suspect(as usual) overpriced and sold out in days. Isn't the double tender flying scotsman a live steam set?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wonder if next years special will have the blue and grey tender then. Quite an interesting if somewhat technical review of the flying scotsman in this months British Railway Modelling magazine all about Alan Peglar and the bits of other locos he salvaged for spares for scotsman and the subtle differences between it and 60077 incorporated by hornby into the model making it unique. I see a few of you would like to see Scotsman in BR livery making it right for the smoke deflectors, didn't Pete Waterman get death threats for actually painting it into BR green?

101 - 120 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.