Model Railway Forum banner
121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
There has been an awful lot of discussion in the railway press concerning the authenticity of "Flying Scotsman" - the NRM is currently overhauling the spare, A3, boiler which many regard as a retrograde step (4472 carries an A4 boiler at the moment) but fitted with this she'll be less of a hybrid. I can't understand why they are going to the huge expense of repairing the old one when for very little more they could have a new one made alongside "Tornado's" in Germany which would last 30 -50 years..... The NRM says it would be slated for using a "foreign" contractor as if Britain's railways never did... apart from Borsig, Dubs, Henschel, Lima, Baldwin - and those were just the steam manufacturers!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've seen the new Hornby Flying Scotsman in NRM condition and read the review on here and BRM. Its a superb locomotive. Though tempted, I just can't bring myself to buy a loco in LNER Apple Green with Elephant deflectors. I suspect there are many who will feel the same about the model and the real thing.

I know Hornby have 2 LNER A1s available during 2006. Great Northern and Flying Fox but I'm going to have to hold out for an A3 in Apple Green with a non GNR tender before increasing my small LNER fleet.

Russell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jennings
I agree that it would be great to see Mallard running again,however the 'Blue Streak' currently does not have a main line boiler ticket which is required before a steam locomotive is allowed to run on main lines.The boiler ticket lasts for 10 years only,at which point a fully rebuild is required;Mallards expired several years ago.
Bearing in mind the NRM is looking at the sharp end of a £750,000 bill to carry out the necessary repairs,restoration and boiler replacement for 4472,the chances of them spending probably anything from a quarter of a million upwards (and it probably would be far in excess of this sum) to restore Mallard to running order is pretty unlikely for several years to come......
Keeping steam locomotives in running order is a hideously expensive business !!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Mian line boiler certificates run for only 7 years and although extensions have been granted you can't bank on them! Main line running is getting more and more expensive so my advice is make the most of it while you can.....

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wonder if it might be time for another NRM appeal to fund the return to steam of Mallard, after all the purchase of Flying Scotsman was greatly helped by public donations notwithstanding the large amount contributed by a certain entrepreneur. Wonder how an A4 might look in Pendolino colours?

·
Registered
763 Posts
It was just one of those mad ideas. I've just checked out OU train sim's website to see if anyone else has had the same idea, apparently not though there is a hst power car in the newer colour scheme which didn't look half bad. The A4 certainly has the right lines for the scheme and i remember at the time Scotsman was rescued they interviewed Branson on Look North and tongue in cheek asked him about reliverying that.

Speaking of the sacreligious mr Waterman i've got a copy of the original issue of Traction magazine dating from 1995 or so and the furore in that issue was his plans to paint his newly acquired diesel fleet in black, this of course prior to loadhaul and fragonset doing exactly that. how things change eh?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny that about painting Mallard in Pendalino colours - and people moan about an A3 in BR green......
Anyway since locos changed boilers/tenders etc at overhauls, I dont reckon that any preserved mainline steam loco is 100% as built. Lets just be thankful that they are still around and folks are prepared to spend money to keep em running.
Well, diesels in black, why not the LMS did it.
Can't wait to see big "LNWR" down the sides though.
Mmmmmm.
Pete

·
Registered
763 Posts
Has anyone actually managed to get hold of a class 60 yet? I've never seen a loco with a terracotta chimney before!!

Slightly weathered with rust is one thing but a plant pot?

Sorry when i get one( could've got one before Christmas but got a Northumbrian set instead) that exhaust has gotta be toned down. Funny no one seems to have picked up on it in the reviews.

I guess that the bods at traction must've forgotten about the early LMS diesels. I liked the 87 that was repainted into LNWR colours last year, really looked smart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"I guess that the bods at traction must've forgotten about the early LMS diesels. I liked the 87 that was repainted into LNWR colours last year, really looked smart."

I didnt know that... Shame I missed it
Pete

·
Registered
763 Posts
It was 87019 and if you do a google image search by the number it gives a couple of pictures. They also did 87012 into network southeast to mark the end of class 87 operations on the west coast mainline.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Not only were these locos painted into LNWR and NSE liveries but they were done with Railmatch paints, the same that I use to repaint some of my locos. The LNWR loco paint job inspired me to paint my old Hornby class 29 which was going to by painted BR green in into a similar lined black scheme. she now makes an interesting change from the rest of my diesel fleet.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Speaking of unusual liveries and hornby's new releases combined. Today at York station were the 2 class 86's converted for load bank duties. 86901 and 902, both were sat there as we arrived and were still there as we were waiting for the return train back to Leeds. Also saw the M7 they have at the NRM, i wonder if they'll be backdating the livery on the model into LSWR colours?
Tried getting some pictures in the museum "station" area but the lighting is appaling in there. Also saw the newly preserved 87001 with different nameplates on each side and newly repainted 55002 K.O.Y.L.I. which I understand has been repainted BR blue for the first time in over 25 years.
Still worth a day out to the NRM even if the warehouse was closed preparing a new exhibition and we couldn't/wouldn't go up into the workshop as baby sponge was finally asleep for the first time since getting off the train and we didn't want to wake him.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Just had a round robin from Hornby that states that the loco to be included with the Devon Belle pack will be No. 34030 "Watersmeet" and not "Yes Tor" - I wonder what made them decide to change the choice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't know why they changed locos, although Watersmeet is an attractive name.
Hornby also confirmed to me that the Devon Belle wingboards will be proper boards not just printed onto the deflectors, although not removable i.e they will be glued rather than clipped on.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Further news from Hornby - they are not going to produce the double tender live steam version of Flying Scotsman (at least not this year) and have withdrawn the model from the production schedule.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Blimey that lasted a long time didn't it! Whats next I wonder.
Maybe the world isn't ready for YET ANOTHER FLAMING SCOTSMAN just yet.
The worlds most famous loco(allegedly) and done to death in my opinion.
Live steam hah, launched in a blaze of publicity and how far have they gone? 2 types of loco both LNER and very little else.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.