Model Railway Forum banner
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'll have the chance to quiz Simon Kohler at the Ontracks / Hornby Live Steam Day on Saturday - I'll pump him to see what they are proposing next! Shame about the twin tender Scotsman - I loved the warning the "the second tender does not carry water" as if a live steam injector (or even an axle pump) was likely in this range.

However, the over burden of LNER types needs addressing....

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Absolutely, Just one LMS is all I ask! I don't care which one either, I will adapt a layout to suit it Baby Scot, Coronation, Princess, Royal Scot what ever. I would have thought the Coronation Scot would be ideal for it given the big streamlined body, as good as an A4 you would think though I haven't measured the two of them up.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The lack of other railway representation in live steam may be more down to the size and shape of the tenders this is where the live steam locos have their "kettles" 'cause with Hornby having done the A1/A3 we know they can do the bits that are actually in the loco bodies.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Presumably an obvious choice for an LMS loco would be the streamline coronation. Big engine area and also tender too perfect for it if you ask me. Similarly the spam cans if they get choosy about which one to model.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
While the idea of live steam seems good, what puts me off is that you need a dedicated line which you can only run the live steam train on. When you have limited space like I do it would be a bit restricting to have a line which I could only run a A4 or an A3 on. With DC or DCC you can run a multitude of locos but with live steam it seems a bit limited in choice

I wouldn't have thought it would have lasted once the novelty wore off.

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
In terms of a traditional DC user the track does not have to be dedicated at all really. A DPDT switch will switch the track from live steam control to regular control quite easily. Same could be done for DCC however the cleanliness of the track may become an issue with some saying their Live Steam tends to provide a little natural weathering to their track and ballast! Obviously it is dedicated in the sense that you cant put a DC or DCC loco on the live steam controlled track section simultaneously.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Re Neil Wood's comments (Post #145), if he likes to go to the '0, G and Larger scales, Garden & Live steam' forum, and look for the thread 'Mixing Hornby live Steam and 'trad' 12V' which I initiated last year, he can see how it is possible to have a single layout catering for both. I'm also preparing an article for 'Railway Modeller' which will go into more detail about how I've done it.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 17 Mar 2006, 17:23)Blimey that lasted a long time didn't it! Whats next I wonder.
Maybe the world isn't ready for YET ANOTHER FLAMING SCOTSMAN just yet.
The worlds most famous loco(allegedly) and done to death in my opinion.
Live steam hah, launched in a blaze of publicity and how far have they gone? 2 types of loco both LNER and very little else.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked Simon Kohler (or another Hornby person) what were the plans for Live Steam in the next few years.

He told me they were looking at either :-
1) Merchant Navy
or 2) Battle of Britain.

They are looking in to the space in each loco for the parts so a approx release date was 2007/8.

Hope this has helped.

Alistair

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (60134 @ 23 Feb 2006, 13:16)If I remember rightly Watersmeet is the location where the two branches of the River Dart meet.

"Wingboards" eh? I rather like the term "Sideboards"!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Watersmeet is on Exmoor, upriver from Lynton / Lynmouth on the East Lyn river. The two branches of the River Dart meet at Dartmeet.
I was personally looking forward to Yes Tor as a Dartmoor enthusiast and Exmoor have had Combe Martin after all.
Now don't change Plymouth!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looking at the blown up side view on the hornby website it looks like the green one will have the "speed whiskers" or whatever they were called rather than the yellow panel.
Don't quote me on that as they are known for changing their minds before releasing things.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Does anyone know if hornby have altered the couplings on their mk1 coaches to the same as the Gresley type? I've seen a coach pack for the Pines express and it said they had the latest couplings on.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got a buffet car with the flushglazing and it looks weird to be honest. Not a patch on the bachmann ones but then it is a 40year old model after all.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.